PDA

View Full Version : Average age of U-Boat commanders?

gord96
04-09-07, 03:54 PM
What was the average age of uboat captains when the war started? I imagine there was alot of older captains at the start of the war.

Around what time did they start giving boats to alot of the younger inexperienced officers?

Just trying get as much info as I can on uboats. Thanks :hmm:

emtmedic005
04-09-07, 04:00 PM
I think the average age of a U-Boat commander at the start of the war was 25. U have to remember that after WW1 the German Navy, like the German army were forced to reduce in size, and many things changed. Many of the officers that stayed in the German Navy until WW2 were soo experienced with Surface ships and were pretty old. Plus subs were banded after WW! and only were produced when Hilter came to power. So most of the men that commanded uboats were young but there were a few that were older.

Brag
04-09-07, 04:08 PM
The oldest commander was like 42. I think at beginning of war the commander were 25-35.

Towards the end there was one aged 21.

There's a study published on the web, maybe somoeone will remember where. Try googling Kriegsmarine personnel.

Lovro
04-10-07, 10:17 AM
They got younger and younger later in the war. there was a pretty steep min. age rule at the start of the war and crews were very experienced, but as more and sailors died, rule was changed and personel (including Kaleuns) got yunger and younger