PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to get a "Weather Report"...???

Charlie901
04-08-07, 10:34 PM
I'd like to know if there is currently a way to find the wind speeds/direction when in game?

I don't see a "Weather Report" option from any of your officers now in SHIV.

I would think that wind speed and direction would be extremely important for a WWII sub Captain.

For instance:

Wouldn't it be important to know if you are sailing with/against the wind when trying to estimate your fuel consumption on those long surface voyages home/to your patrol area. I could see how having the wind at your back could greatly extend your range and having the wind in your face could seriously decrease it.

How about picking up a downed airman in a small life raft...? Wouldn't it be prudent to position your sub on the downwind side of the airman so he doesn't constantly blow away from your sub upon trying to fish him out of the water.

How about a drifting airman in a small life raft...??? The U.S. Coast Guard have conducted extensive studies on wind drifting and have calculated that even a body over half submerged can travel large distances over a short period of time just due to wind drift.

What about depositing a spy off the coast in a small inflatable raft...???

Wouldn't a prudent sub Captain want to wait till the 40 Knot Winds subside to lauch the spy in his tiny inflatable raft.

What about launching your spy so he would have to row against 30-40 Knot winds just to make it to shore? Wouldn't it be better to at least give this poor landlubber a launching with the wind at his back, blowing him toward land???

Imagine the last two senarios, in a "Hot" area, having to wait for better conditions to launch the spy while the enemy is directly above and around you. :rock:

....And least of all, How do I know if it's too windy to safely man my Blasted Deck Gun???

Although I believe that it would greatly enhance this game I do realize that the above statements (except for the last) are probably way beyond the scope of this game.

So, besides getting weather reports, ala SHIII, what benefits would there be to being told the weather (i.e. winds speed, direction, etc...).

supposedtobeworking
04-08-07, 11:21 PM
go to your commands file in data/cfg (if I remember right). open it with a text editor and then do a ctrl+F to find text. type in "weather" in the search box. You need to have a program called "keychecker" it is available in the SH3 forum--go to the stickied MOD list thread in the mod workshop forum for SH3..it should still be listed in there. start it up and type in whatever key you want to use for weather report--just make sure it doesn't conflict. copy it to the clipboard and paste it under the weather report command in the commands.cfg file you opened. save and it should work. you can create a custom keyboard command for any command in the game listed in that file this way.

-Pv-
04-09-07, 01:28 AM
Easier yet, in the mods section there is already a complete commands replacement file to provide nearly all the SH3 functionality including a weather report on control-w. No need to edit yourself if you're unshure.
-Pv-

Gizzmoe
04-09-07, 02:48 AM
Easier yet, in the mods section there is already a complete commands replacement file to provide nearly all the SH3 functionality including a weather report on control-w.

Yes, this one:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108015

Drebbel
04-09-07, 04:51 AM
I often wondered why people need a weather report. A weather forecast is what a captain needs, for a weather report one can just go to the bridge.

heartc
04-09-07, 07:20 AM
I often wondered why people need a weather report. A weather forecast is what a captain needs, for a weather report one can just go to the bridge.

Was wondering the same. Also, I found it arcadey that in SHIII you were told the EXACT ("189°" instead of "South") bearing and speed of the wind, even when submerged. ;)

JackChen
04-09-07, 09:52 AM
That must have been some instrument to measure wind like that :lol:

Sailor Steve
04-09-07, 10:32 AM
Wouldn't it be important to know if you are sailing with/against the wind when trying to estimate your fuel consumption on those long surface voyages home/to your patrol area. I could see how having the wind at your back could greatly extend your range and having the wind in your face could seriously decrease it.
In a 1500+ ton vessel it doesn't make that big a difference to fuel consumption; and if it did you would probably waste more looking for that tailwind than you would save in finding it. In all your subsequent examples the wind direction and speed should be indicated by the waves. A 40-knot wind is going to be accompanied by waves so high you couldn't launch or recover a boat or raft anyway, and if the game is working properly you'll see those waves.

Yes, wind drift is going to mean the may you're looking for is moving, but I don't think we'll see that modelled in a game for a long time.