PDA

View Full Version : I shot MYSELF?!?!

JasonSK
04-08-07, 07:33 PM
So...

I sneak up to this convoy, real stealth like lol, dive under, get in range, wait for the destroyers to pass and fire like hell, all 4 tubes.

1st.. miss.. nice
2nd.. yup.. thats a miss.
3rd... lol.....
4th... WABOOM!!! WOOT

Oh.. did I mention im on AUTO TARGETING!! For fcks sake why bother lol, at least with manual I can blame myself lol(dont have a snort how to use the manual torps)

So now I have a cargo ship on fire, 4 others doing eva and 3 destroyers closing in on me from all sides...

hmm... idea time......

I dive under, to about 150 meters, and sneak under the burning freighter.. then I pop back up to scope depth, do a 180(to point the rear tubs) and fire 3 at the other freights....

Fire 1........ good.. good.. HIT!!!!
Fire 2 and 3...
2.. good good... wait.. huh... wtf... 3 where the......

why are you going in a .... oh crap..
yup.. ITS GOING IN A DAMN CIRCULE... dumbfounded I just watched it come back around at me!! totaly parazlied I jumped to the external view and watched underwater as it comes around and smacks me RIGHT in the conning tower, BLAMO huge explosion, everybody screaming, ship is sinking, it was a mess, everybody in the tower was dead.. I totaly panic.

FULL ahead throttle, emergency blow, GET HER UP!!!

okay.,.. it comes up.. barly, massive damage

remember that burning freighter?. Yup.. I had forgotten......
HARD RIGHT!!!

BARLY freaking miss it... oh remember those destroyers???
zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ KABOOM!!!!!!!

Hits me freaking right on the bow, massive hole!!!!!!!!

The next few minutes were me trying to evade and my ship slowly being taken apart.... finally she went under and didnt come back up...

so in closing

WHO THE FCK DESIGNED THESE TORPEDOS!!!!

CCIP
04-08-07, 07:36 PM
:rotfl:

Welcome to the pacific, where at least two American subs are [historically] known to have sunk the very same way :88)

Aimbot
04-08-07, 07:51 PM
I got one of those literally every fourth or fifth torpedo in 1941-2. until 1943 it's safest to fire for the waterline so you can get under those lil' bastards. if you see one hook go flank turn full rudder in the same direction it's going and dive deep. It should miss you every time.

AVGWarhawk
04-08-07, 07:53 PM
Awesome story dude! I was laughing through the whole thing...oh, sorry about your crew:oops: .

:rotfl: :rotfl:

JasonSK
04-08-07, 07:53 PM
LOL
Like ill live that long lol, I cant finish the FIRST patrol, its hopeless... and man the sub sinks easy, everything is fixed, I go under for an attack and she nose dives and I Cant bring her out of it, im really doing something wrong ive sunk her so many times doing..... nothing..

AVGWarhawk
04-08-07, 07:56 PM
Well, in all realilty a torpedo to the conning tower is a brew for the deep six.

Blood_splat
04-08-07, 08:18 PM
It happened to me too, I fired on a stationary merchant. It was dark out and I kept looking for the trail of my torp but to no avail. Next think I knew... Kaboom:rotfl: . I blew myself up:damn: .

Jace11
04-08-07, 08:31 PM
Replay..? We need to get used to the replay feature for things like this so we can share these cool stories...

JasonSK
04-08-07, 08:45 PM
replay feature? How do we do that!!!

AVGWarhawk
04-08-07, 09:00 PM
When you stop the game to save put your mouse over the SAVE REPLAY and left click. The small box will have a check in it. Now when you reload you can click on replay you entire last patrol. It is a very cool feature:yep:

Rilder
04-08-07, 09:13 PM
Managed to catch it on the the Attack map just in time to crash dive, lucky I wasn't in shallower water. Deffinatly an oh-sh#t moment.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7251/ohsh1tjf9.jpg

heartc
04-08-07, 09:28 PM
Hmm, I didn't have a circular running torp yet, but am pretty scared of the possibility after reading all these stories - I now tend to drop below PD when feasible to listen on sound if the fish is running straight.

Now tell me, is it possible that you guys fired with high gyro angles when you had them running circular? Maybe this increases the chance that the rudder gets stuck. Or were the gyro angles low and the rudder just decided to move and get stuck in an extreme position? I always fire with very low gyro angles ( < 10°).

JasonSK
04-08-07, 10:46 PM
my shot was pretty damn high gyro.. should have know better lol

-Pv-
04-09-07, 01:32 AM
After getting massive damage you cannot submerge again. This is the way the game is coded. There is only so much the crew can repair and some things they cannot repair at all. So, even though you no longer have damage indicators, while on the surface you have a functional boat, but DO NOT SUBMERGE. Head for port as fast as you can.
-Pv-

Crosseye76
04-09-07, 01:36 AM
LOL sorry for the luck JasonSK.

And remember, it's not SH3 where you start in 1939 and try to go the whole war. In SH4, You will eventully be retired. If you always start in '41 - '42, you'll probably never get to see '44 - '45.

Start your Career in 1944. Do some careers to see the boats at the apex of the conflict, when everything was working (mostly) as intended.

Later on, if you wanna try "Dark Days" of '42 - '43, or try a Sugar boat, you can have fun.

JasonSK
04-09-07, 01:44 AM
LOL sorry for the luck JasonSK.

And remember, it's not SH3 where you start in 1939 and try to go the whole war. In SH4, You will eventully be retired. If you always start in '41 - '42, you'll probably never get to see '44 - '45.

HAhaah is that what they are calling "killed by own stuipid self" these days LOL!!

I played sh3 a lot, and I was JUST as good lol! I am noticing this game is a TON harder.... at least in sh3 I could lay 10 kinds of pain down, in this game I can barly survive 1 freaking patrol!

Crosseye76
04-09-07, 02:58 AM
No Jason, I'm serious. Unlike SH3 where you did unlimited patrols, in SH4 you cannot.

As in real life, US Skippers were not in the same slot for the duration. After 5-8 ( I've seen one report of 10 ) patrols the game will 'retire' you. All the people starting a career in 1941-1942 will end up on the beach in '43 - early '44, just when everything starts getting interesting.

heartc
04-09-07, 07:22 AM
my shot was pretty damn high gyro.. should have know better lol

Cool! That would explain why I didn't have a circular running torp yet. Looks like the chance for one is indeed related to the gyro angle. Can more people confirm this?

Egan
04-09-07, 07:27 AM
lol, it happened to me - on the torpedo training mission in the sub school..:cry:

I thought training warheads were supposed to be in the game?

heartc
04-09-07, 07:46 AM
lol, it happened to me - on the torpedo training mission in the sub school..:cry:

Dunno about the training warheads, but obviously seems like they are not in. ;)

Do you remember if you fired with a high gyro angle when that happened?

Egan
04-09-07, 07:58 AM

AOB was just off the perfect T. The other two torps hit perfect - one of them an MOT and the other just behind.

heartc
04-09-07, 08:07 AM

AOB was just off the perfect T. The other two torps hit perfect - one of them an MOT and the other just behind.

Gyro Angle is the angle your torpedo takes from your sub after leaving it. Hm, with AOB at 90° when you fired, it could have been a high gyro angle if your sub was pointing directly at or a bit behind the target, especially if the target was travelling at medium speed or higher. You could point your sub into the direction of travel the torpedo has to take, or in other words "lead" the target, to decrease gyro angle.