PDA

View Full Version : Disbelief

GoldenRivet
04-06-07, 12:01 PM
WOW

im just at a loss for words here haha

Was assigned to patrol off the coast of japan. went there. engaged a few merchants. scored a few sinkings. mission accomplished.

re-assigned to a photo recon mission of a nearby port. set up a course for the port that would allow me to remain in the deepest waters possible until it came time to get to the photo point.

Weather was terrible. rain wind rough seas visibility was next to nothing.

by the time i got to the photo recon point the weather had mostly cleared up. I waited for dawn to take the photos. by sunrise the weather had cleared perfectly.

there are t tankers in port - took photos of them. there was a Japanese sub docked and a couple of sea planes but thats it. mission accomplished

so i plot a course to return to pearl

upon making the 180 degree turn and seing what i had sailed directly underneath of the night before made my hair stand on end.

1 Fuso class battleship
1 Agano light cruiser
1 Hiryu carrier

all dressed up with no place to go!

I had a full load of torpedoes and sent 3 at the Fuso and 3 at the Hiryu... dove deep and got the hell outta dodge.

Both the ships sunk.

HOURS LATER in waters of the Japanese East coast about 180 feet deep i was cruising along at about 80 feet depth. Suddenly i hear splashes and prop sounds directly overhead. No warning from the sonar guy or nothing. suddenly the sub was straddled by several depth charges. My boat was trashed. we sank to the sea floor as i tried my best with the crappy damage control interface. but the sub was too far gone for damage.

que the death screen.

im then arrested by two cartoon MPs and placed on trial for sinking an important ship.

wait wait wait - what?

yep - i guess they launhced a special mission to haul my dead carcus out of the sunken sub and put my lifeless body on trial for sinking the sub?

whatever :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SteamWake
04-06-07, 12:11 PM
LOL whatever indeed.

As to the "no warning" Im going to guess that the destroyer came up your blind spot (from behind).

The part I dont really understand is "Attacked an important ship" ?? Did you sink an allied vessal by accident ?

GoldenRivet
04-06-07, 12:23 PM
Sank a troop transport - a japanese medium composite freighter - the battleship and the carrier i ran across in the port - thats it. all proudly flying the japanese flag.

the only US ship that sank in the campaign was my own! :shifty:

ALSO the ship that sank me was coming from a 270 degree bearing and moving to a 090 degree bearing (left to right) perpindicular to my course.

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 12:26 PM
Apparently they were PO'd you sunk all those nice warships and did a massive stealth hunt for you. They succeeded.....:shifty:

Nell Quick
04-06-07, 01:26 PM
The part I dont really understand is "Attacked an important ship" ?? Did you sink an allied vessal by accident ?
the only US ship that sank in the campaign was my own!
That's what it's getting at: the 'important ship' you sunk was your own. The game's trying to get across that you've harmed the war effort, and that your achievements are worth nothing because you got yourself killed, and it's probably all your fault, etc etc.

Personally, I think the death screen's a bit weak. Firstly, the player's character is dead, so all the drama about court martials seems a bit pointless. Secondly, I'm not sure all the lecturing is necessary: ships are lost in wars - and some no doubt because of mistakes or foolishness - but I'm not convinced the US Navy would take such a contemptuous attitude to ships that don't come back.

SteamWake
04-06-07, 01:32 PM
It (the death screen) is still better than SH3's "Your dead" screen.

Give the modders some time and they will probably do some cool things with it.

FAdmiral
04-06-07, 03:39 PM
HOURS LATER in waters of the Japanese East coast about 180 feet deep i was cruising along at about 80 feet depth. Suddenly i hear splashes and prop sounds directly overhead. No warning from the sonar guy or nothing. suddenly the sub was straddled by several depth charges. My boat was trashed. we sank to the sea floor as i tried my best with the crappy damage control interface. but the sub was too far gone for damage.

Were you using time compression? Sometimes things happen very fast during
it and sometimes your crew doesn't always react in time. Also it nullifys the
voice of the crew in some cases....

JIM