PDA

View Full Version : Insert Agent.. in Japan !?

SteamWake
04-06-07, 11:17 AM
I got this mission to insert an agent on the island of japan.

Yup mainland Japan....

Well I snuck in there allright and approached within a mile of the coast (the little star icon) and surfaced.

Immediatly the coastal batterys announced their protest. I cruised slowly waiting for the agent to get off the boat but never did. Soon I hear cries of "Were taking damage" yup we were getting hammered.

What do I have to do to complete this missioin ? How do I get the agent off the boat before the Shore Batteries find their range and mark ?

Simets
04-06-07, 11:24 AM
You have to get very close to that star. Few kilometers. And I would suggest that you do that by night for obvious reasons :know:. You must avoid detection. When you are surfaced and close enough you'll be prompted if you'd like to launch a boat. (Prompted like when the game asks you if you want to refit in friendly port for example)
Cheers

davejb
04-06-07, 11:24 AM
Drive the boat within a coupl of miles of the coast - zoom right in on the map to ensure you go to the drop off area rather than the port that's probably a mile or two around the coast from it. There's a BIG difference between surfacing off the port and being slightly around the next headland.
A mile or two offshore stop the boat - when your boat stops a message box appears asking if you'd like the agent to go paddle his boat away. When he launches his rubber boat it sounds rather like somebody is dragging scrap iron across your deck whilst banging pots together - so don't let hat spook you into thinking you ran aground etc.

At a guess you were slightly out of place on the map - unless you are really zoomed in the 'stars' on the map can be several miles out of position - and if you didn't stop engines the guy won't leave your boat. If you launch successfully don't be surprised to see him paddling his boat upside down. As soon as he's off (he appears on the map, and you can see him from the deck) you can gth out.

Sceptre666
04-06-07, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure you have to do the mission at night.

joea
04-06-07, 11:29 AM
To summarize nightime, right spot (zoomed in map) really close to shore, stop motors. Check all that and try it.

Simets
04-06-07, 11:32 AM
To summarize nightime, right spot (zoomed in map) really close to shore, stop motors. Check all that and try it.

Nice summary :yep:

Platapus
04-06-07, 11:34 AM
I guess you can't put the agent in Tube 1 and..... no I guess that would not work:oops:

Simets
04-06-07, 11:39 AM
I guess you can't put the agent in Tube 1 and..... no I guess that would not work:oops:

No, no, it would work. But you need to be extra careful. You have to set depth right and you must not set fuse to magnetic. You don't want your agent to attract small metal objects :rotfl:

SteamWake
04-06-07, 11:43 AM
Hrmmm well I was within a mile of the drop point (not close enough I guess), at night, only thing I dident do is stop the motors.

I was a little hesitant to do so as not to make myself an easy target.

I surfaced a little to early I suppose as the WO was complaining about operating in shallow waters and outside view looked like I was on the verge of being torn apart by the coral.

SteamWake
04-06-07, 11:44 AM

I know that modern day subs can deploy "frogmen" while submerged. I dont suppose any WWII vintage subs had this ability.

Anyone know ?

AVGWarhawk
04-06-07, 11:45 AM
Yep stop the motors. That is the biggest thing. Make sure you have stopped or the RUBBER raft makes scraping noises down the side you your sub:shifty:

Simets
04-06-07, 11:47 AM
Hrmmm well I was within a mile of the drop point (not close enough I guess), at night, only thing I dident do is stop the motors.

I was a little hesitant to do so as not to make myself an easy target.

I surfaced a little to early I suppose as the WO was complaining about operating in shallow waters and outside view looked like I was on the verge of being torn apart by the coral.

You could try a different approach. For example, if you aproached from the south, try to aproach more from the east or something like that. Maybe the water there is a little deeper. But I think that you were close enough there. I guess the problem is probably that you haven't stopped your engines.

SteamWake
04-06-07, 11:52 AM
Hrm... come to a complete stop while the coastal batteries are raining down shells. Solid stratigy ! :p

Has anyone tried shooting back at them ?

Ill try the mission again tonight I have several save points.

Oh to anyone who gets this mission in the future .... dont forget to refuel at Wake on your way out and keep the throttle at modest settings or you aint gonna make it back.

Simets
04-06-07, 11:57 AM
Hrm... come to a complete stop while the coastal batteries are raining down shells. Solid stratigy ! :p

Has anyone tried shooting back at them ?

Ill try the mission again tonight I have several save points.

Oh to anyone who gets this mission in the future .... dont forget to refuel at Wake on your way out and keep the throttle at modest settings or you aint gonna make it back.

Try to remain undetected! That's the key. Coastal batteries can not shoot what they can not see.

Teh_Diplomat
04-06-07, 12:59 PM
I did mine during the day(3:00PM) as my first mission. :rock: I find it beest if you come to a complete stop. Like re-arming your external torps in SH3. That means you have to be as close to 0 Knts as possible.

AirborneTD
04-06-07, 01:26 PM

I know that modern day subs can deploy "frogmen" while submerged. I dont suppose any WWII vintage subs had this ability.

Anyone know ?

I believe James Garner deployed while the sub was under in the WWII movie "UP Periscope". :)

tycho102
04-06-07, 02:05 PM

Without question.

I also had to run up onto the beach. I litterally chopped my engine and got a little griding on the bow as I glided up. The guy simply would not get out before that. It was just before midnight when he would finally shove off. Had to really book it out of there to get some decent water depth before first light.

It was an exciting mission.

joea
04-06-07, 02:24 PM

Anyone know ?
I believe James Garner deployed while the sub was under in the WWII movie "UP Periscope". :)

Well you can't use a film as a reference.

-Pv-
04-06-07, 03:17 PM
In the one insertion I have done so far I carefully tested several distances from the target icon. I found 1.5 miles or less, surfaced with engines stopped was all it took. I did it at night and made sure no enemy were near to bother me for a while, then backed out of there the moment the agent left the boat and sped outa there split lickety.
-Pv-

NefariousKoel
04-06-07, 03:19 PM
Night-time is the right time to party.

perisher
04-06-07, 07:43 PM

You could deploy that way if you were prepared to flood a compartment. If I remember the movie correctly the boat still had to surface to recover the divers.

I may be wrong but I think the only WWII subs that had airlocks were the British X-Craft mini-subs

nimitstexan
04-06-07, 07:55 PM
Of course, the real question is, how accurate is it to be inserting an agent in mainland Japan at all? It is not like there were alot of OSS boys who could really blend in with the locals, you know?

MarshalLaw
04-06-07, 08:18 PM
I had one of these missions today, My agents insertion point was near Kobe Which is inside that bay and island. Went to the entrance of the bay right at the straight point. Then the water shallows up to 35 feet, ran as close to the bottom as I could but the shore batteris saw my tower and tore me a new torpedo tube.:stare: I saw no way of getting there unless I went Flank on the surface, and tried to out run the batteries before they did too much damage. Then I would have had to contend with the patrol craft that was near by.:hmm: If anyone else had the same mission and found a way in let me know.

thanks,

-Pv-
04-06-07, 09:05 PM
Haven't done Kobe, but did Osaka. Same area. It's possible to sneak past the shore battery without surfacing. I don't want to spoil it by explaining too much. just to say it's possible.
-Pv-

3Jane
04-06-07, 10:07 PM
You might have to fish one of the 'Japanese-americans' out of the internment camp, or your agent might stand out a little in the crowd. I mean they might be a little taller. :rotfl:

SteamWake
04-06-07, 10:47 PM
Well hate to post an anti climatic post to this thread.... but...

I snuck into the harbor under cover of darkness... hit last waypoint (1.5nm) and surfaced.

We may have sunk the rubber dinghy on the way out but those shore batteries were rather convincing.

We took one shell into the hull but the crew was able to stop the "bleeding".

Long story short the "agent" has been inserted and we got away. On a off chance we got to sink a freighter on the way out...

Carry on !

joea
04-07-07, 04:48 AM
You might have to fish one of the 'Japanese-americans' out of the internment camp, or your agent might stand out a little in the crowd. I mean they might be a little taller. :rotfl:

Well shows how short-sighted that was...still there were also Korean-Americans who could have done the job, at I think so?

3Jane
04-07-07, 06:14 AM
oh dear, oh dear

popsbear
04-17-07, 06:30 AM
I had my nose on the beach holding on minimum power, but he wouldn't get off. Soon as I checked other answers and stopped my engines off he got - Thanks guys

AVGWarhawk
04-17-07, 08:30 AM
Ah, hell, deploy him at Wake Island and let him swim the rest of the way!!! You are to be sinking ships, you're not a taxi cab:roll:

SteamWake
04-17-07, 11:05 AM
Wow who dredged up this old thread !

Meco
07-15-07, 02:54 PM
Just completed the Osaka Drop with 1.3. The AI sure do hunt more now than before. Patience and avoidance is strongly recomended. stay as deep as you can, set speed 2 to creep up.

If a warship is heading your way on sonar. come to all stop and rest on the bottom till he passes. the first time I didn't and the destroyer picked up on my slow accoustics and began pinging for bearing.

Drop complete.

Now to make it out if the bay...

:D

switch.dota
07-15-07, 05:45 PM
Try to find the coastal batteries.

Deterrmine the best approach so as to present the smallest possible profile to the said batteries.

Pray for really bad weather.

Approach submerged and come to a halt underwater (speed 0 knots and wait a little, too).

Surface and deploy.

When the spy is away, dive and get the hell out of there.

EDIT: Damn this thread is ancient!

Jmack
07-15-07, 06:31 PM
i got a mission like that in 1.3 , first mission after pearl harbor they send me do drop men in japan mainland

the silent invasion ...

jmr
07-15-07, 07:05 PM
Ok I have to ask, did any of these insertion missions really take place in WW2? Seems like an awfully risky thing to do for both sub and the agent.

-Pv-
07-15-07, 10:32 PM
You don't have to come to a complete stop. Just move up on 1/3 and as soon as you give the all stop command, the agent will bail. I then immediatly issue a reverse to get away from the agent boat (prevent the horrid noise) and make good my escape. Shooting at shore batteries (or anything else) does not help. You just give them a better target to shoot at.

Another secret is using deck awash depth so you can get closer without being seen. Absolutely HAVE to do this at night and/or in very bad weather. Issue the depth "25" on the depth gauge so that the commands text AND the voice BOTH say and read "25" This will give you a deck awash of 22ft which reduces your visibility enough to accomplsh the mission. I will emphasize, not only do you need night (poor weather helps) but surfacing with enemy within visual range is a nono. All this means this is a mission of patience and technique, not aggressiveness. Not only do you have to time your insertion for when ships are clear enough to get in, but you also have to get back out the same way. Give youself all night to do the mission. Loiter outside the harbor area until the timing is just right. You may have to sneak in between regular patrols.

Shore guns have a ~2.5 mile max range. I have been able to drop off the agent as far as 1.5 mile from the icon. Make sure you are zoomed in tight on the map when working any mission near land. Draw a 1.5 mile circle out from the insertion icon to assist in knowing when to surface. Spot the shore emplacements early through the scope and plan your approach so you surface as far from the closest one as possible.

-Pv-

EAGLE_01
07-16-07, 10:38 AM
Yep stop the motors. That is the biggest thing. Make sure you have stopped or the RUBBER raft makes scraping noises down the side you your sub:shifty:

I thought they were gonna fix that for 1.3...

Dropped supplies to invisible guys in the Phillipines, and the raft nearly broke my eardrums!:down:

-Pv-
07-16-07, 11:43 AM
I think this thread represents a broken database object. A post I made yesterday has 2006 as the date. Posts made months ago are mixed in with posts made in the last few days and they are not in order.

I realize these threads pop up to the top of the list again when someone browses back in history to see if a susbject they need help on has been discussed in the past (novel idea) and posts a new message on it. Often the result is a chaotic thread. I've seen this happen several times.
-Pv-

SteamWake
07-16-07, 12:16 PM
I think this thread represents a broken database object. A post I made yesterday has 2006 as the date. Posts made months ago are mixed in with posts made in the last few days and they are not in order.

I realize these threads pop up to the top of the list again when someone browses back in history to see if a susbject they need help on has been discussed in the past (novel idea) and posts a new message on it. Often the result is a chaotic thread. I've seen this happen several times.
-Pv-

Meco reserructed the thread (shrug).

Anyone know if the rubber rafts still make a racket when launched ?

tycho102
07-16-07, 12:20 PM
Anyone know if the rubber rafts still make a racket when launched ?

They do that because they're colliding with your boat. Hit reverse-full and wait until you get accelerated, then chop power and launch the boat. No noise because no collision.

STEED
07-16-07, 12:42 PM
My first mission out of Pear a few days after the attack was to drop off an agent in Northern Japan and all went well which is no surprise as Japan was to busy celebrating there victory. So after dropping off my hush, hush man I sneaked in to a port and sunk two of there heavy cruisers, pay back as started.

AirborneTD
07-16-07, 02:36 PM
I had something very strange happen during my first mission playing with 1.3. I was carrying out an agent insertion mission and was approaching my target at night. I've done these before with previous versions, so I thought it was simple. I moved in within 1 mile of the coast and cut engines. The insertion option never presented itself. I drifted in to within .5 miles and about 50 feet of water but still no go. I decided to back out and try again but my engines wouldn't start. I couldn't go back or forward. I was sitting there at oh dark thirty with absolutely no options. I tried switching engine crews around and going on and off battlestations but no joy. I eventually had to reload my saved game and was then able to complete it successfully. I hate to cry "bug" but I see no other explanation.

Oh, btw, when I launched the boat successfully, it made that horrible metal scrapping noise. I gotta remember to start backing out first, before launching.