PDA

View Full Version : Q? On Crew Learning New Skills ?

walsh2509
04-06-07, 08:00 AM
Q? On Crew Learning New Skills ?

Apart from the promotions won, which I give out at PH after a patrol, I've seen little up arrows on crew during patrols, them gaining promtions.

But I seen a post about your crew learning other skills if moved to other parts of the boat. I had after about 3/4 mission enough promotions which allow you a skill as well to have all my crew in each section to be filled with that skill.

But after seeing the post about learning new skill I moved everyone around, torp men when to CR/CT and sonar/radar went to engine room and so on. And kept it that way from most of the 17days to the patrol area and the 17days back to PH. But there didn't seem to be any difference in there skills..

What do you have to do ?

JRT
04-06-07, 08:13 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/CODY614/fsscr033.jpg
I was wondering the same thing a couple of days ago when I grabbed this...

Jeff

walsh2509
04-06-07, 08:48 AM
Yes that is what I saw, but in each section I have everyone with the skill of that section. I see by your shot that only 6 of the 12 in the torp room have "torp skill" and the watch you have 4 with skills. In my boat all have the skill for there section, I got enough promotions to do it.. only in my Watch Crew each of the 3 watches have a mix, 2 with Watch skills and 2 with gunnery skills.

But what I seen in a post was your crew picking up other skills other than there main skill. And to this end, on the outward and inward parts of my patrols I mix the crew and I said, I put torp men in the engine room and just mix the whole crew about and have it that way until I get about 2000km from my patrol area and same on the homeward leg, about 2000km for my patrol area I mix the crew. This give me about 30 ood days of the crew being put into other sections. But I don't see any difference in them attaining "other" skils by moving them about.

Or do you think I would have to "fight" with the crew mixed to have them attain the skill of the section I move them to?

Quillan
04-06-07, 09:19 AM
The "promotions" you hand out in base seem to actually be ratings. All the ones I gave out were specializations, where I was able to choose Torpedoes, Guns, Watch, and the like. The actual rank promotions happened during the patrol.

walsh2509
04-06-07, 12:26 PM
You may be right? yes when I do give out the promotions back at PH after a patrol you get to give the crewman a skil from a menu, but I have given a promotion out and never got the menu pop up to give skill?

Its not so much that I want to know about, but the swaping of crew to difference parts of the sub so they can gain "other" skills. Does moving the guys I have in the torp rooms since the start of my career, into other areas give them some of that areas skills. As in moving my torp men into the engine room for the outward and homeward parts of the mission? or do I have to have them in there when I am attacking ships?

JRT
04-07-07, 10:08 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/CODY614/CREWA.jpg
In the ongoing quest to figure this out....The crewman...#1...Is highlighted...
And in #2 you see he has the "Deckwatch" thingy showing. But in his pic' there is none?
Does this mean when he is promoted,that is what he should be?
Cuz his watch number is 34/100? Everything else is lower.

Jeff

Gildor
04-07-07, 10:19 PM
The way I understand it, the crewman gets an icon when he is promoted to Petty Officer and when you promote him it asks what skill you want to give the man.

When the crewman is lower rank than a PO, he has an ability. You can even find some with two. This shows what he is good at and gives him an efficiency bonus in that job.

You can sort the list by ability, skill, etc.

So I look for recruits with a high ability in the compartment I want them to work in. Once they get experience and get promoted I give them the skill for that compartment.

I think there is 12 rank levels. SO the yellow arrow you see is the crewman going up a rank level(not a named rank, see the numbers when you sort them by rank). Once an enlisted reaches (I think 5) he can be promoted to PO.

Simplified version but I think that is how it works.

JRT
04-07-07, 10:31 PM
Makes sense...
At least now I will look closer before promoting.

Jeff

Lukemb
04-08-07, 02:48 AM
The way I understand it, the crewman gets an icon when he is promoted to Petty Officer and when you promote him it asks what skill you want to give the man.

When the crewman is lower rank than a PO, he has an ability. You can even find some with two. This shows what he is good at and gives him an efficiency bonus in that job.

You can sort the list by ability, skill, etc.

So I look for recruits with a high ability in the compartment I want them to work in. Once they get experience and get promoted I give them the skill for that compartment.

I think there is 12 rank levels. SO the yellow arrow you see is the crewman going up a rank level(not a named rank, see the numbers when you sort them by rank). Once an enlisted reaches (I think 5) he can be promoted to PO.

Simplified version but I think that is how it works.

That's correct Gildor,

And also, when someone gets promoted to CPO till Officer there's a chance that he will receive a Special Local Ability (3rd symbol - orange colour) or a Special Global Ability (4th symbol - red colour).