PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to die, but...

hmatthias
04-05-07, 07:55 AM
Got hit by a airplane bomb in the torpedo room, which caused critical flooding, but I was able to save the ship. Now I can't dive, and am deep in enemy waters. I am getting swarmed by aircraft, but none of them is coming close with their bombs! I have been attacked at least 15 times, with no damage. Seems a bit unrealistic, but I am not sure. It is February 1943, so maybe the pilots were that bad then?

Platapus
04-05-07, 08:10 AM
Well having played several WWII aircraft simulator/games I can attest that, at least at my skill level:88) , hitting even a large ship with a bomb is not easy so perhaps it is modeled like that.

in your situtation I would flank speed on a "get the hell out of there" course to the nearest friendly base.

There has to be a distinct disadvantage to being in enemy waters, on a sub that can't dive and you can count on the enemy taking full advantage of this situtation to your detrement.

They will be all over you like
White on rice
Cold on ice
Hair on a dog
Ham on a country hog!

WFGood
04-05-07, 11:00 AM
A slow-moving target which holds a straight course should be a target that a pilot could at least get close enough to damage, but a small target at flank which is maneuvering would be darn hard to score a direct hit on. They should at least be getting close though. (It also depends on the height of the attack. Whole new tactics were developed in WWII to accomplish this. At the Battle of Midway for example the USAAC bombers went out and dropped tons of ordinance without scoring a hit, but they initially claimed credit for the victory in the Battle. That is another story though.)

tater
04-05-07, 11:15 AM
It could be that the devs nerfed bombing accuracy in playtesting (assuming they playtested, lol). Why? Because they grossly overloaded the japanese planes with bombs. When a Zero, which in RL held 2 x 60kg bombs can hold 3 x 500kg bombs, they better not aim well, lol.

deamyont
04-05-07, 12:56 PM
IRL you would be strafed back and forth....

Morts
04-05-07, 12:59 PM
depending on what kinda pilot
suicide then you wouldn get strafed...but crashed into:dead:
:rotfl:

hmatthias
04-05-07, 01:27 PM
It just seems silly that I've been attacked a zillion times, with no damage. I am a sitting duck, as I can only go about 9 knots with the damage I have. Still, the planes lazily loop around me, occasionally dropping a bomb about 2 miles away. I am to the point where I just leave TC on when a plane is spotted :)

SteamWake
04-05-07, 01:29 PM
So how many have you shot down ?

hmatthias
04-05-07, 03:13 PM
I shot down like 4 before I ran out of ammo. Now I just sit and watch them miss. Fun times...

AirborneTD
04-05-07, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I was pretty cocky about lackluster pilot skills---until one of them put a perfect straddle of bombs across my rear end. Now, I'm not so eager to duke it out on the surface. I crash dive whenever I get a warning--unless I'm surprised and they are close.

04-05-07, 04:11 PM
Yeah, in IL2, it's near impossible to hit a moving ship while it's shooting at you.

kptn_kaiserhof
04-05-07, 07:07 PM
thats right i also play pacific fighters and is hard to hit the sationary battleships at pearl with with a val dive bomber yet a moving sub

try looking from the pilots point of view

WFGood
04-05-07, 07:31 PM
thats right i also play pacific fighters and is hard to hit the sationary battleships at pearl with with a val dive bomber yet a moving sub

try looking from the pilots point of view

Yep, it's an awfully small target, but I would imagine a few dozed strafing runs with the ols 20 mm cannon would do just as nicely.