PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Boat 'Scarpone'

DanielMcintyre
04-05-07, 07:15 AM
One of the most mysterious episodes in naval submarine warfare occurred on the 4th of February 1942 when the US submarine "Scarpone" caused a stir with allegations of collusion and coverup in Washington over her mysterious 'disappearance'.

The "Scarpone" sailed from Manila under the command of Capt. William Barsley on the 18th of December, 1941 and never officially 'returned'. An S-42 class boat built by Bethleham Steel at Quincy, Massachusetts in the 1920's, she was outdated and ill equipped for war but was nevertheless pressed into service along with her sister boats after the Japanese surprise attack on the United States in late 41.

On the 27th of December a message was received from Scarpone indicating that she had reached her patrol area without incident.

On the evening of that same day the Scarpone was directed to head southwest of her position as intelligence had evidence of Japanese shipping heading south through Formosa.

During the following day the boat was sighted by unidentified aircraft on multiple occasions and had to dive to elude. On each occasion either while diving or while surfacing equipment malfunctions occurred and while having never been under attack she lost of the use of her deck gun, attack periscope and radar.

On the 28th of December, 1941 Scarpone radioed Manila requesting orders and although in need of repair was ordered to remain on patrol and to effect any and all necessary repairs as could be performed at sea.

During the following week she patrolled south of Formosa during which time she continued to suffer unexplained malfunctions to her essential equipment. During this same time many of her crew vanished, fell ill or died of unknown maladys.

On the 4th of February 1942, at 17:33 hours a final message was received indicating that the Scarpone had sighted a large well protected convoy and was in an advantageous position to prosecute an attack.

Not much is known of the final moments of the boat although the 'survivors' detailed a terrifying 30 minute ordeal during which wave after wave of pinpoint depthcharging literally ripped her to pieces. According to the 'survivors' her final moments ended when she passed 280 feet and imploded, a statement which defies belief given no survivor of such an adventure should be alive to tell this final tale.

The saga only became stranger when on the 16th of June, 1946 Capt. William Barsley, reportedly killed on the Scarpone, was court martialled in a closed sitting of a special naval tribunal for the destruction of a friendly vessel of importance and for the death of both himself and his crew.

After serving a 14 year prison sentence during which he continued to profess his innocence Capt. Barsley was released. He died penniless in 1972 and never regained his former status as a respected military officer.

Questions still remain regarding the Scarpone and her captain and crew. What really happened to the boat? Did she really sail out of Manila? Did she even exist to begin with? One tantalising clue remains, a partially coded message received several hours after her reported sinking on an uncoded frequency. SOS Stop Requesting P.1.2 immediately FFS YFBOMGBBQ Stop Scarpone Stop KCUS TFOSIBU Stop

Dale McPherson
Darnelly Naval News Service

Seadogs
04-05-07, 07:31 AM
:rotfl:

Spaxspore
04-05-07, 08:40 AM
nice post:up:

love this interesting tid bits in US naval history.

OddjobXL
04-05-07, 11:06 AM
Ah...not precisely historical I'd guess but surely brilliantly written to sound convincing enough. :) It's how a real patrol given SH4's initial limitations might look to someone investigating the X-File of it.

Fitz505
04-05-07, 03:31 PM
I wonder how many people actually went and googled the USS Scarpone, trying to get more info.

Fitz

CybrSlydr
04-05-07, 04:23 PM
I came very, very close - was going to do that after I read the rest of the thread. :damn: :know: :up:

Skweetis
04-05-07, 04:49 PM
Now THIS is what I call a constructive post. Well written, and details some of the current shortcomings in a very creative format: no bashing, no ranting no screaming but gets its point across in an entertaining and concise manner.

Well posted, and welcome to subsim! I'm sure you'll fit right in with the rest of us nutjobs!

And I will admit, I almost googled Scarpone! :oops:

Front Runner
04-05-07, 05:02 PM
During the following week she patrolled south of Formosa during which time she continued to suffer unexplained malfunctions to her essential equipment. During this same time many of her crew vanished, fell ill or died of unknown maladys.

This is the paragraph that gave it away for me. The disappearing crew, falling ill and dying of Flak Damage Related Syndrome gave it away, but excellent job, well done.
:rock:

What kind of fish is Scarpone anyway?

WFGood
04-05-07, 05:54 PM
Awesome post!

DanielMcintyre
04-05-07, 07:09 PM
Hehe thanks for the positive replies and glad you enjoyed it :D

I based it on yesterdays very short career, most of the events actually did occur abeit inside my PC. There is no such fish as a Scarpone afaik but I liked the name for some odd reason. Cyas.

Hans Schultz
04-05-07, 07:38 PM
this should be the thread of the week!

i almost googled, almost.

Skweetis
04-05-07, 08:24 PM
I wonder if the people who haven't posted in this thread yet are still madly googling away! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

KodiakPA
04-05-07, 11:06 PM
Love it! :up:

Crosseye76
04-06-07, 12:48 AM
:rock:

joea
04-06-07, 04:34 AM
You got me good. :oops:

Grothesj2
04-06-07, 04:34 AM
That was great! :lol: