PDA

View Full Version : My little beef with SH3 and 4...

SKurj
04-04-07, 08:12 PM
Has it ever been explained as to why we do not get the option to enter data into TDC etc in a more accurate method than just draggin the mouse around a wheel?

Its difficult to choose the exact heading you want... depth... AOB etc when you have to drag the mouse around the wheel or click on what you think is the value you want. I am just curious why the ability to just simply type in the value you want has never been implemented.

Iron Budokan
04-04-07, 08:21 PM
I think I understand what you're saying. It's the same reason we can't type in our speed or depth or course or whatever...all for immersion. I guess I don't mind, really. The real skippers couldn't type in their stuff either, they had to spin the little wheel, or whatever, too.

FIREWALL
04-04-07, 08:26 PM
Has it ever been explained as to why we do not get the option to enter data into TDC etc in a more accurate method than just draggin the mouse around a wheel?

Its difficult to choose the exact heading you want... depth... AOB etc when you have to drag the mouse around the wheel or click on what you think is the value you want. I am just curious why the ability to just simply type in the value you want has never been implemented.

I'm with you.:up: Setting torp depth is a pain .By the time I get all the info set the ship is out of position.:damn: I hope someone comes up with a fix.

AVGWarhawk
04-04-07, 08:59 PM
No issues here. Wheels seem simple. Once I have the TDC set/accurate, then I go play with the torpedoes. If your PK is accurate then you do not have to pay attention to it very much.

SteamWake
04-04-07, 08:59 PM
I approve of this message... :up:

Powerthighs
04-05-07, 12:39 AM
It is harder to set a wheel on a computer screen than to manually turn one in real life.

Not a big deal though. I do like the immersion factor.

SKurj
04-05-07, 06:57 AM
Well lets compare to reality...

Skipper says make your course 250, he expects 250... He calls AOB 43 deg he expects...

Especialy when it comes to AOB and making calculations for solutions

davejb
04-05-07, 08:18 AM
Bothers some more than others - but to me I'm the Captain, I tell people what I want to happen, and then there's a whole bunch of nice guys who'll do their best to see it does. My job is to determine the tactical employment of the boat, not to tie her up at the dockside, load the food, and polish the torpedoes. I have some very proficient men running these systems, if I say 'set the torpedo depth t0 16.5ft' then a chap up the pointy end does that for me, I don't nip back to my bunk to fetch my handy dandy spanner set.

I think SH4 has improved markedly on Sh3 in some areas like this - if only because my exec posted a watch roster this time round, not like that lazy good for nothing I had in the Atlantic... back in those days he had the crew carrying giant red pot plants around half the time, I was forever going through the boat sending crewmen to bed like I was their nanny or something.

Of course it isn't always an improvement - 'Aircraft! Bearing 128 close range!'
'Clear the bridge! Crash dive!'
'Sorry Captain, cannot comply - we're all asleep... makes you kinda dozy floating along in the Pacific sunshine, doncha think?'

(I prefer to die in my sleep - not other people's!)

Platapus
04-05-07, 10:01 AM
Bothers some more than others - but to me I'm the Captain, I tell people what I want to happen, and then there's a whole bunch of nice guys who'll do their best to see it does.

That was one of the few things I really liked about the Sub game Enigma. The voice command worked well and really gave me the feeling I was the Captian.

I really wish SH4 would have that option. There is nothing like being able to say

Set course 140
Make depth 70 feet
All ahead two thirds

I know there are some key mapping third party programs that will map keys to voice but I don't think any of them will allow you to set numbers (set course 140).

To me, this is the future of sub simulators

Iceberg
04-05-07, 11:34 AM
I really wish SH4 would have that option. There is nothing like being able to say

Set course 140
Make depth 70 feet
All ahead two thirds
How awesome would it be to say "Right standard rudder... Come to course 140" and have your crew anwser "Yes Sir. Right standard rudder. Comming to course 140." And then a few seconds later "Steady on course 140 Sir."

Now THAT would be immersion!! :rock:

Ah well... We can always dream for Silent Hunter 5... or 6... or 7.. .;)

Sailor Steve
04-05-07, 04:19 PM
I'd like that too; though it might be even more immersive if they said "Aye aye, sir..."

04-05-07, 04:23 PM
Ive never been able to set the torpedo depth above 4 ft. Also, what is the magnetic influnce? Is that contact influnce?