PDA

View Full Version : Lag Issues with Captain's Log

NKato
04-04-07, 07:45 PM
There seems to be an irritating Career Mode bug with the Captain's Log where it freezes the game (I can hear sound, but nothing is moving) while it loads the data on each page of the clipboard as I make the request to display it.

This problem becomes compounded (in other words, much worse) after you spend a couple of days at sea on a patrol or mission.

I believe it has to do with the inbound contact reports I receive from other ships on a frequent basis.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

donut
04-04-07, 07:57 PM
You need another gig of ram,ordered mine today.Is your mouse pointer limp.:yep: I may stand corrected.:oops:

NKato
04-04-07, 08:05 PM
I have two gigs of RAM.

mookiemookie
04-04-07, 08:07 PM
See this thread for the workaround for this problem: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110585

fair_weather
04-04-07, 08:10 PM
I can vouche for this. Go out on a patrol for 1 month and it takes anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes to open the captains log. It makes checking your orders a pain...

Iron Budokan
04-04-07, 08:22 PM
I just stopped opening it altogether.

NKato
04-04-07, 08:25 PM
Well, I'm on a new career in a Balao-class, after having studied them on Wikipedia recently. Figured I'd give them a try to see if they are as good as the books say.

We'll see how well the first patrol goes - provided the captain's log doesn't piss me off.

DirtyHarry3033
04-04-07, 09:15 PM
I don't know what it is with that "Captain's Log", I've got a fairly kick-*ss system but after a week or 2 at sea the log brings it to its knees. Frankly I can't see what the deal is here, all it's doing is loading a few K of text. Picture opening a text file containing that log in Notepad, it should be open in less than 1 second. What is UBI doing here, "simming" every event in the log in real time????

I wish I could find out where the log file is kept, I would make a habit of regularly going in and deleting all the non-essential crapola on a regular basis. Anyone know where it's stored? As it is now, I totally 100% ignore it, I'd like to finish just the next patrol (let alone the entire war) sometime before I die of old age...

DH

nfitzsimmons
04-04-07, 09:18 PM
There's a mod available here that reduces the number of contact reports that you receive. That seems to help with, if not fix the problem.

DirtyHarry3033
04-04-07, 10:00 PM
Yeah I installed that mod last night. Hope it works, I'll find out whenever I get time for my next patrol.

But I think my biggest problem with the log is NOT contact reports, it is this same msg that I get OVER AND OVER again, about the sinking of a ship, the "General R.T. Frank", by a Jap sub with loss of all hands.

I get at least 2 or 3 copies of that message just about every day of the patrol - sometimes I might not get one for a day or 2, but then it's back. That's what's filling up my log and it drives me batsh*t. And since it's not a "contact" report, the contact mod won't fix it :(

DH

NKato
04-04-07, 10:34 PM
That would be a news report.