PDA

View Full Version : Long delay in captains log screen

andysk
04-04-07, 06:12 AM
Hello! I have a problem whitch is getting on my nerves...i'm playing sh4 and though everything runs smoothly whenever i press the captain's log to see the messages that have arrived , it takes about 5 minutes to open the screen and during this time the game is stuck!! Does anyone have the same problem as me?
Btw i'm using v1.1

davejb
04-04-07, 06:25 AM
Known bug,
covered here, on UBI site, and the Bugzilla site. A 'work around' is to open the messages up (early in the mission unless you want to watch paint dry) and set the dropdown at the top of the 'clipboard' to "sent messages".... that way you'll not see any messages, but will be able to open it in moments to check on mission status etc.
(You don't need to read messages - contact reports appear at map screen top anyway, and if a new mission comes in for you it'll show on the mission page of the clipboard).

For info - if you have bugs/queries try using the 'search' function first, to see if an existing thread sorts you out, rather than opening a new thread on what (for many) is an old, long discussed issue.... I'm not telling you off here, but others are less patient ;)

ParaB
04-04-07, 07:23 AM
I made a little mod that helps with this problem, take a look here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108959

It reduces the number of "uninteresting" (->too far from your position) radio messages and thereby reduces the problem with the cluttered radio log and the delay when opening it.

andysk
04-04-07, 07:30 AM
OK! so where is it covered because by doing a search before posting using the search function of the forum i couldn't find anything...so please be patient and don't start things like this...

andysk
04-05-07, 03:24 AM
Thanks Parab...i was about to abandon the game...You're a life savior.
However i hope the dev team will fix the problem in the next patch...It's a great game to be wasted:up:

davejb
04-05-07, 08:32 AM
Sorry you took it that way, I'm not starting anything - I said
I'm not telling you off here, but others are less patient
was because people opening bug threads on here have been savaged, so I was trying to ensure you didn't suffer the same fate... I was, as I said, not intending to tell you off, but to try to make you aware of a way to get your answers without getting flamed.

specifically http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107766 is the bug thread, and your problem is listed as A6 there, hence my suggestion to check first before opening a new thread. You'll find a lot of bugs already in there, quite often with a fix or workround.

efekagan
04-05-07, 10:00 AM
In my experience,
Increasing your virtual memory to 2000-6000 mb ,decreases "wait time" a lot.

Still I advice that great mod : )

Kromus
04-05-07, 10:51 AM
I made a little mod that helps with this problem, take a look here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108959

It reduces the number of "uninteresting" (->too far from your position) radio messages and thereby reduces the problem with the cluttered radio log and the delay when opening it.

I made exactly same thing in contacts.cfg lowered both values to 500 km. Since then i hardly ever get more than 5 sec wait time.
I would love to see something like "clear log" button in next patch.

Gildor
04-05-07, 10:57 AM
Why would we need to record convoy contact notices in a log anyways? I wish we could toggle it off and keep FOX msgs and our own sent msgs.

davejb
04-05-07, 01:53 PM
...and messages should time out daily, or similar - or simply decide that only the last X messages will be stored and displayed, so there's an upper limit on the amount being retrieved. I mean, it's a complete Pacwar history lesson at the moment, isn't it? 'From COMSUBPAC to USS Plonk, despite being 50nm SW of Honshu in your patrol area, I am now going to tell you about a fishing boat they've just spotted East of Balikpapan, 'cos I know you guys are interested in that sort of stuff.' You'd have to be surfaced 18 hrs a day just to take the radio traffic! (Pity the poor devil who had to decode it all).