PDA

View Full Version : How far can you range around a patrol goal marker?

Sgian Dubh
04-02-07, 11:08 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know the maximum distance one can range from a patrol goal icon without "resetting" the timer? Does the timer reset?

I often let ships go by b/c I do't want to accidentally mess up the time on station accumulation.

Thanks in advance

Cakewalk
04-02-07, 11:12 PM
I've been hearing around the forums that its 55nm, so I just stick around that and it seems to work fine.

Gildor
04-02-07, 11:30 PM
A patrol mission is only 200 renown to complete. If you have a ship or convoy near by, go for it. You will probably get more renown killing then floating around.

Don't forget to keep sending regular status reports because that is what determins the mission updates.

-Pv-
04-02-07, 11:40 PM
There is no "timer." There is something specific you need to accomplish and that specific thing is near the marker.

For instance in the mission to plant an insurgent, it doesn't matter WHEN it's done. You can go around the world and come back. Go to a port and refuel, come back, etc. (though I suspect you want to complete the task before the war ends.) You simply get within 1.5 miles of the insertion point and stop the engines.

I suspect you ask because you are worried if you spend too much time trying to evade enemy that micht make it rough for you near the mission icon, you will fail the mission. That is not the case. The game is designed so you can play it smart, not desparate.

Other tasks are not quite that rigid. In photo recon you need to get within parascope range to lock on specific targets. The mission icon is placed near the photo targets, but the relationship of the targets to the icon varies and is not important. Also, you need NOT travel over the mission icon. It's not a pickup or a mission requirement. Think of it as an AREA not a target.
-Pv-

NefariousKoel
04-03-07, 12:19 AM
On patrol markers, I take the compass and make a 50nm circle around it. Then set up my patrol waypoints inside it.

Has worked like a charm. ;)

shad43
04-03-07, 04:02 AM
Ok I've been messin with the mission editor for a few days now...not very user
friendly...but I've used stock missions as a reference to learn how to make my
own, patrol missions "do" have a timer, the patrol mission Honshu 01 zone 1
which I beleive is the one everybody gets out of Pearl has a 2880 ( 2 day) minute
timer which requires continious patrol within a radius of 100 km.

If anyone is interested in sp missions let me know Im working on some goodies.

Cheers

Sgian Dubh
04-03-07, 06:15 AM
Thanks to all for the information.

Gildor
04-03-07, 08:57 AM
There is no "timer." There is something specific you need to accomplish and that specific thing is near the marker.

On patrol missions, there is a timer. Witness the mission requiremnts in this example:

MapZone 1]
Name=Patrol Celebes Sea 01_Zone1
Radius=100.000000 <--------
MaxHeight=1000.000000
MinHeight=-1000.000000
Long=14945750.000000
Lat=581700.000000
Height=0.000000

[Objective 1]
ObjName=Patrol Celebes Sea 01_Objective1
Obj=7
ObjType=0
RenownAwarded=200
AreaName=Patrol Celebes Sea 01_Zone1
AreaType=0
Presence=0
Time=2880.000000 <------

Get within 100 (kms is the common distance interpreted) and patrol for 2880 minutes (48 hours)

No one knows if the timer is reset if you drift out of the range. Personally, I have been 800 nm from the icon chasing a convoy and have had the mission conclude successfully. However, another time I was patrolling and moving in and out of range and the icon didnt change for 4 days. Just to be safe, I make a circle around the icon and patrol within 55 nm. BUt this doesnt stop me from going after contacts out of the range.

Banquet
04-03-07, 11:38 AM
No one knows if the timer is reset if you drift out of the range. Personally, I have been 800 nm from the icon chasing a convoy and have had the mission conclude successfully. However, another time I was patrolling and moving in and out of range and the icon didnt change for 4 days. Just to be safe, I make a circle around the icon and patrol within 55 nm. BUt this doesnt stop me from going after contacts out of the range.

I've often strayed further away from the location marker and although it does take longer than 2 days it does eventually go gray.. so I don't think the timer is reset.