PDA

View Full Version : Circular run with a torp!!!!!

Tieg
04-02-07, 08:14 AM
I launched 2 torps at a medium composite....I like to go to external view a lot to see the action as well as the placement of torps with the different gyro angles. Anyhow...I go underwater to see the torps running and I see only 1 torp. I look around and sure enough (have the mod for good underwater vis) there is the torp on a circular run and its coming right at me...

Rang up all ahead flank and dove to 150 ft...sure enough that torp passed astern but if I had not seen the run and ordered up faster speed I believe that sucker would have sent me the way the USS Tang went in WWII.

I'm impressed with the dud torps....have had 1 circular run and a ton of prematures.

CybrSlydr
04-02-07, 08:18 AM
Heh - I've been sunk by one actually.....

Did the same thing as you - sent two, went out to watch them, saw one and figured it prematurely detonated.

10 sec. later I'm at the bottom of the ocean.

ryuzu
04-02-07, 09:05 AM
Heh - I've been sunk by one actually.....

Did the same thing as you - sent two, went out to watch them, saw one and figured it prematurely detonated.

10 sec. later I'm at the bottom of the ocean.

Just had my first homing torp in the current patrol (well first I noticed). Fired two fish at a medium size merchant having been lucky to end up almost directly in its path - it was about 600yds when I fired....

Wait a few secs, hmm no hits - damn must have screwed up the solution then bang, damage and we're sinking.

Blew the emergency tanks and went to flank plus surface and got back up in time to sink the first and second merchants with deck gun while fixing the damage :)

Problem now is I have a massive hole in the sub just forward of the conning tower - I suspect even periscope depth will sink us, I'm a long way from home and I've only used 2 torps (only one of which was a hit - on me!).... What to do....:hmm:

r.

razark
04-02-07, 09:09 AM
I've seen a few, never been hit by one, but...

I launch a couple of fish at a merchant behind me, and scurry away from the one bearing down on me. I switch to external view and see two wakes, one headed for the target, the other one making a circle. :huh: To flank and donwards I go. I watch as the torpedo runs around and around, and then I start thinking "How long will it run? :hmm: And how long until the other ship gets here?"

The straight running torp hit it's target, and the circle runner just did it's lazy little cruise until the other merchant sailed right into the path of the torpedo. It was even nice enough to sink for me. :rock:

Maybe it was just the American version of pattern running fish?

Mush Martin
04-02-07, 11:29 AM
Dick Okane eat yer heart out :rotfl:

Bilge_Rat
04-02-07, 11:34 AM
That is cool, I did not know that was implemented in the game, also made me think of the demise of the Tang when I read that!

Tieg
04-02-07, 05:31 PM
I like the idea...but here is my complaint...if your going to impliment the possibility of a circular run torp coming back on your own boat...do you think it would be a good idea for sonar to sing out a warning so that you can take evasive action? I mean I cheated and went to external view to see my torps impact and asked myself

How come I don't see 2 torps?

If I had not come back to see the other torp I would be sitting on the bottom like some other unfortunate souls who have replied to this post. I believe if sonar was to sing out a rapid bearing change on the torpedo you could immediately ring up all ahead flank and take evasive action.

Now...on the lighter side of things...anyone experienced a HOT RUN??!!!!!???? :rock:

smithcorp
04-02-07, 09:24 PM
I had my first circular run torp last night. i was lined up for a killing shot on a disabled merchant and was being hunted (incompetently) by 2 destroyers. I fired my torp and then headed down to 150 feet. A quick look in external view showed my torpedo was circling. It passed harmlessly above me as i dived, but one of the following destroyers blundered right into it and got its bow perforated. Excellent.

CybrSlydr
04-02-07, 10:24 PM
I should also note that I was not using homing/acoustic torpedos...

Just a standard Mk. 14.

:ping::rotfl:

Moral of the story?... Don't sit dead in the water after firing a torpedo! :know:

Cakewalk
04-02-07, 11:31 PM
Cap'n: How are the fish running, crewman?

Sonarman: I can hear one sir, it seems to be trackin' something.

Cap'n: Very nice.. I didn't know we had homing torpedoes aboard.

Sonarman: I've lost her, Captain.

Cap'n: What!? What do you mean?

Sonarman: Well, I lost the acoustic signature when it passed around behind us.

Cap'n: Be.. Behind us? Wait a minute...

*clink*

*Loud and rather humiliating explosion*

Sonarman: opps

DeePsix501
04-03-07, 12:43 AM
Buckman! :/\\!!