PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Lightning - 1478FT!

oilburner
03-30-07, 05:51 AM
Four of us were in a multiplayer game attacking an IJN convoy (coop mode). I was in a GATO class boat and had just sunk 1 destroyer and had another one charging me from the rear. I ordered a crash dive from periscope depth and made sure the throttle was to the stops. As the DD passed over, one of the depth charges killed my batteries. At this point I was at around 190 ft, still dropping. I checked to make sure I had crew in the damage team (no!) and I put some in there and got them to work on the batteries. I was now around 250 ft and starting to get nervous. I still had about 5 knots of momentum even though the screws weren't turning and the sub was not in a "steep" dive...but no matter what it wouldn't slow it's descent. I ordered emergency surface multiple times until the storage and ballast tanks equalized but I just couldn't pull out. I was waiting for the same instant black screen death from SH3 but this didn't happen. I started calling out my depth on teamspeak to my friends (much to their amusement) and once I crossed the 1000' mark I had everybody's attention! At 1300' the rear compartment started flooding. In quick succession more flooding broke out and the failures occurred from the rear towards the front. At 1478' we crashed into the bottom and within 8 -10 seconds all compartments had flooded and "that was that".

fyi - if your interested in playing online check out www.theartofwarfare.net

Cakewalk
03-30-07, 08:01 AM
I've heard many reports of boats sinking to ridiculous depths, that being said, sometimes you just get lucky.;)

I've had my Gar class break open at 301' before.:down:

jdski
03-30-07, 08:15 AM
Last night my brother and I were doing some multiplayer and he was severly damaged by some charges and went down to 1600 ft and rested on the bottom. Pressure hull, bulkhead, pumps and more damaged. He was able to repair the pressure hull, and bulkhead and was almost done repairing his pumps when he tabbed out to his desktop to retune Roger WIlco because I could barely hear him after he came back from being afk. Doing that he lost connection with the server. I guess we shouldn't be tabbing out of the game in mutiplayer. He was obviously on the way to recovery and I was anxious to see if he was going to be able to resurface.

perisher
03-30-07, 10:17 AM
In a Porpoise Class boat I took damage from depth charges while at 160. Lots of damage and three compartments flooded. When down like a brick. Hit bottom at 1674 feet!! Was able to repair all but 2 electric motors and pump out all three compartments. However I just couldn't get the boat off the bottom so I died anyway.

GoldenEagle8
03-30-07, 11:07 AM
I once sank to 625' before.