PDA

View Full Version : Damage control for a dummy (me)

Penelope_Grey
03-29-07, 03:14 PM
Can anybody explain how it works, maybe provide some screens? I am really struggling to get the hang of it.

Onkel Neal
03-29-07, 03:39 PM
Can anybody explain how it works, maybe provide some screens? I am really struggling to get the hang of it.

Damage control for Dummies.... that should be my line :)

Here's what I know;

First, man your damage control crew.
Your damage control station shows the sub divided into the main compartments.
Each column (compartment) has the name in the top box. This is also the flooding indicator (turns blue when you have flooding).
The various pieces of equipment are in the column.
Each compartment has a bulkhead box.
Many of the pieces of equipment are links as systems, and you can click on a box in the left column (far left, not the aft compartment) and see how they are linked.
The crew will assign several pieces of damaged gear in the repair box at the bottom. You can shuffle that around to change priorities.
Each piece of gear has a little colored column at the right of the box. You can hover your mouse over this and see the repair time estimate.
If the color is red, that's bad.

Will do some screenshot work later for this thread. (Or perhaps someone else can ;))

Thanks
Neal

AVGWarhawk
03-29-07, 03:40 PM
First of all it does not work great but I believe some real time repairs have been implemented.

What I did was higher some sailors before my patrol. I put them in the damage control boxes. I have repair the sub clicked to on all the time. So they busy themselves repairing all the time. I have found that some repairs are just not going to happen timely and down you go for good. Anyway, you can tell them what to fix first but I usually let them do it how they want. I just played around with it until I see how it works. Anyway, the best thing I did was get a repair crew staffed in there before leaving port.

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:41 PM
Wait for a patch to fix it a bit, but if you don't want to wait, then:
1: Go to crew mangement in the menu bar [clipboard] and click damage control button.
2. Go to crew management where you can see your crew and drag your useless crew from sleeping to the damage control slots...
They "should" do the rest by themselves, or they were supposed to do...:doh:

AVGWarhawk
03-29-07, 03:43 PM
The best way to go is man it before you leave port. Just leave them buggers there all the time. Fixing and polishing the boat is all they do:yep:

Penelope_Grey
03-29-07, 03:45 PM
I think Im gonna have to wait. I got attacked the other night by a plane, and had minor damage to deck and flak guns, no visible flooding, I crash dived... and I sank like a brick out of control with no electrics, despite the engine room being manned!

I'm sorry, but I am very very nostalgic for the SH3 damage control methods, just click! Simple. Effective. No Fuss. This is just crazy.

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:45 PM
The best way to go is man it before you leave port. Just leave them buggers there all the time. Fixing and polishing the boat is all they do:yep:
Indeed, as for a polishing thing, they do it, military style, with a tooth brush and a soap...:lol:

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:49 PM
I think Im gonna have to wait. I got attacked the other night by a plane, and had minor damage to deck and flak guns, no visible flooding, I crash dived... and I sank like a brick out of control with no electrics, despite the engine room being manned!

I'm sorry, but I am very very nostalgic for the SH3 damage control methods, just click! Simple. Effective. No Fuss. This is just crazy.
If there is an open hole in your hull, do not submerge more than PD, even at minor damages, as for diviing out of control, go figure, you have Parker in your crew...:smug:
And I totally agree for SH3 damage interface.

AVGWarhawk
03-29-07, 03:49 PM

There is a conning tower damage bug. Hopefully next patch it will take care of it. Fear not!

AVGWarhawk
03-29-07, 03:51 PM
The best way to go is man it before you leave port. Just leave them buggers there all the time. Fixing and polishing the boat is all they do:yep: Indeed, as for a polishing thing, they do it, military style, with a tooth brush and a soap...:lol:

Toothbrush and their sweat:yep:

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:51 PM

There is a conning tower damage bug. Hopefully next patch it will take care of it. Fear not!
Fear not???!!! What about dying crew?:arrgh!:

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:54 PM
The best way to go is man it before you leave port. Just leave them buggers there all the time. Fixing and polishing the boat is all they do:yep: Indeed, as for a polishing thing, they do it, military style, with a tooth brush and a soap...:lol:

Toothbrush and their sweat:yep:
:rotfl:
Never been in an Army service, as a matter of fact, there i no army in Montenegro anymore, and we had a nice sub fleet consisting of 4 kilo-type diesels...
All gone... Forever.

AVGWarhawk
03-29-07, 03:54 PM

There is a conning tower damage bug. Hopefully next patch it will take care of it. Fear not! Fear not???!!! What about dying crew?:arrgh!:

Also a bug that is part of the conning tower damage. Apparently it cycles every 20 minutes while in game and the men die. Hopefully another fix in the making:shifty:

GakunGak
03-29-07, 03:56 PM
Who knows, maybe a rogue crew taking them out with AA gun...:hmm:

Penelope_Grey
03-29-07, 04:02 PM
I loathe the Sub management screen, the tips are helpful though, thankyou everybody. This game is so full of bugs, and damage control seems to be no different. I feel like a beta tester.

Why release a game when there are so many niggling faults on it?

donut
03-29-07, 04:03 PM
Seems you must man / select (battle stations),to get repair crew orientated / working !

GakunGak
03-29-07, 04:05 PM
Seems you must man battle stations,to get repair crew orientated / working !
Not exactly, as you have DC working as soon as you enable them, Battle Stations is for use when under attac so torps load faster as there are no shifts anymore, everyone is working and none sleeping/resting...

donut
03-29-07, 04:18 PM

Damage control for Dummies.... that should be my line :)

Here's what I know;

First, man your damage control crew.
Your damage control station shows the sub divided into the main compartments.
Each column (compartment) has the name in the top box. This is also the flooding indicator (turns blue when you have flooding).
The various pieces of equipment are in the column.
Each compartment has a bulkhead box.
Many of the pieces of equipment are links as systems, and you can click on a box in the left column (far left, not the aft compartment) and see how they are linked.
The crew will assign several pieces of damaged gear in the repair box at the bottom. You can shuffle that around to change priorities.
Each piece of gear has a little colored column at the right of the box. You can hover your mouse over this and see the repair time estimate.
If the color is red, that's bad.

Will do some screenshot work later for this thread. (Or perhaps someone else can ;))

Thanks
Neal [/quote]donut,Seems you must man / select (battle stations),to get repair crew orientated / working ![/quote] Diden't know how else to include Onkel's helpfull knowledge.:sunny:

donut
03-29-07, 04:25 PM
Seems you must man battle stations,to get repair crew orientated / working !
Not exactly, as you have DC working as soon as you enable them, Battle Stations is for use when under attack so torps load faster as there are no shifts anymore, everyone is working and none sleeping/resting...Live,& learn. This game will be great,soon.:sunny:

Penelope_Grey
03-29-07, 05:23 PM
It should have been great before they sold it to us. I tried manning battle stations when I was attacked, but no avail. They still wouldn't fix the damaged guns.

I am still puzzled why when I crash dived the sub sank like a stone too. Compressed air saved my bacon there.

donut
03-29-07, 09:54 PM
Listen to Onkel,we all are on a steep learning curve with this beta delivery,& the Dev's are busting butt working to patch.

corvette k225
03-29-07, 10:01 PM
I wish the Damage control room in SHIV was like the one in SHIII I just donnot understand what was there thinking. I like the sub picture in the damage control room lot better!!In SHIII.:D

GakunGak
03-30-07, 03:25 AM
I wish the Damage control room in SHIV was like the one in SHIII I just donnot understand what was there thinking. I like the sub picture in the damage control room lot better!!In SHIII.:D
М2!:up:

raymond6751
03-30-07, 06:13 AM
Everyone says man the DC crew before leaving port. How?

Nothing in the manual about getting new guys?

One comment was right. It should have been working before they sold it to us.

Would we have bought it if they said it was 'almost' working?

How many other games come out in this sad a state? If a feature isn't working in detail, then make it a one button quick fix until the patches can input the detailed work.

Fudge it to work instead of ******* it to start with!:down:

Floyd
03-30-07, 06:50 AM
Everyone says man the DC crew before leaving port. How?

Nothing in the manual about getting new guys?

While in port, go to "the office" and click the boat on the desk and you should
see the crew management screen. On the left are the "new guys", so just
click and drag them to a slot/compartment.

My point is that if you fill all slots, you have no room to shuffle crew around
and if a compartment starts to get flooded ...you can't move them out.

Oh, while on the management screen, don't forget to click-drag the torpedoes
to the tubes/stores or you will have this baffled look next time you'll engage :o

StandingCow
03-30-07, 06:53 AM
Yea, having to drag torps over one at a time is annoying.. . oh well :)

GakunGak
03-30-07, 08:50 AM
They could implement double-click for torps....:damn:

walsh2509
03-30-07, 10:35 AM
On damage control , as I posted nothing seemed to work. As for the notice, there are 3 pages on crew management 1 your crew and stations. 2. The stations and items within that area. 3 Torpedos.

On page 1 Crew, AA gun and Deck Gun damaged. Hold your mouse cursor onver AA or Deck Gun heading and it tell you the damage and repair time. In page 2 where the box has the AA gun and Deck Gun the little red damage bar only give a number reading. When my AA gun and Deck Gun were damaged, page 1 were you assign the crew into these positions the position heading gave out a damage reading for the AA gun as 50/100 and repair time of about 45mins. Yet in page 2 in priority the box, when you hold the mouse over the 3"/50 caliber cannon it does not give a damage report or repair time, the little red bar to the right hand side of this gave only a reading of 0.051. whatever that was?

On repair times , I have seen post saying that if you have the realistic repair time box ticked that it takes longer for repairs. Ok but if a repair time comes up of 45min, then even with this box ticked the repair time should be 45mins. The repair time given should be the correct one, not one if your are playing with this box unchecked so you get a quick fix.

I had a repair team in there on station, I dragged my best men into it and the green bar was half full. Now if the repair time has anything to do with this then fine, but as I had that green bar at least half way full I would expect a repair time of double (90mins)the one given if the green bar was full to the top. Or at the most an hour or so more, I had the crew working on it form 6hrs and the repair time was still showing as 45mins and on the 2nd page where the priority box was the little bar on the side was still showing this 0.051 when I held the mouse over it.

When you click on or hold the cursor over the damaged item it should show a repair time, it doesn't. When I went up to the aft tube section and held the mouse over the damage tube all I got was a discrpition of the tube. What is that reading on the side of the item(s) inthe priority box ? in the case of the deck gun 0.051

In the end I tried another 6hrs on repairs and still nothing, now if the damage was that bad that only a return to port would fix it, you don't get that message..

Penelope_Grey
03-30-07, 10:48 AM
Ok the deal is this, the only damage to my sub seems to be just the deck and anti aircraft guns everything else looks ok. No damage to batteries and electric propulsion yet with a full battery and electric motors a-ok it still sinks like a stone. :roll:

AVGWarhawk
03-30-07, 10:49 AM
Ok the deal is this, the only damage to my sub seems to be just the deck and anti aircraft guns everything else looks ok. No damage to batteries and electric propulsion yet with a full battery and electric motors a-ok it still sinks like a stone. :roll:

Do you see any blue above each compartment?

GakunGak
03-30-07, 10:54 AM
Bad luck, even on a simulator...
Just a superstition...:arrgh!:

joea
03-30-07, 11:44 AM

You might have bulkhead damage, or as AVG said flooding already!!!

AVGWarhawk
03-30-07, 12:12 PM
You might have bulkhead damage, or as AVG said flooding already!!!

Joea, some just do not understand that a badly damaged bulkhead means very bad things including diving to PD. I do not understand how some feel a hole the size of your head gets blown through the hull that mid ocean repairs will make if like new and you can submerge to PD without issue. My experience with damage and control I had last night looked to be very realistic to me. I'm very happy with the damage control system with exception of the tin foil AA gun that is alway needing repair for some reason.:nope:

U-Bones
03-30-07, 12:37 PM
I wish everyone would seperate bulkheads from the hull.

They are NOT the same thing.

A bulkhead is an internal partition used to seperate the inside of the hull into compartments. They are intended to isolate leaks to a single compartment - so the rest of the crew and sub could possibly survive if repairs failed.

A secondary function is to provide additional structual support to the Hull, which would only really come into play below periscope depths.

A destroyed (leaky/stuckopen/warped) bulkhead may have NO bearing on how much the Hull is leaking, and may still provide adequate reinforcement for the hull.

If you repair your bulkheads, and submerge, and suddenly flood, it was not because your bulkheads were damaged, it was because your hull started leaking. The failed bulkhead simply meant that the flooding could not be isolated to one compartment.

The exact thing happens if you do not seal the internal compartment doors - you basically have NO bulkheads (for flood control purposes).

Battlestations requires all watertight doors be closed. For good reason.

Unfortunately, we have nothing to show Hull damage. You can assume that bulhead damage implies hull damage, but it is not neccessarily true and please do not equate them to the hull.

Sorry to niggle.

AVGWarhawk
03-30-07, 12:42 PM

A bulkhead is an internal partition used to seperate the inside of the hull into compartments. They are intended to isolate leaks to a single compartment - so the rest of the crew and sub could possibly survive if repairs failed.

A secondary function is to provide additional structual support to the Hull, which would only really come into play below periscope depths.

A destroyed (leaky/stuckopen) bulkhead may have NO bearing how much the Hull is leaking, and may still provide adequate reinforcement for the hull.

If you repair your bulkheads, and submerge, and suddenly flood, it was not because your bulkheads were damaged, it was because your hull started leaking. The failed bulkhead simply meant that the flooding could not be isolated to one compartment.

The exact thing happens if you do not seal the internal compartment doors - you basically have NO bulkheads (for flood control purposes).

Battlestations requires all watertight doors be closed.

Unfortunately, we have nothing to show Hull damage. You can assume that bulhead damage implies hull damage, but it is not neccessarily true and please do not equate them to the hull.

Sorry to niggle.
Sorry mate but all the game has to offer is bulkheads which I believe translates into hull. Therefore, since the game shows bulkheads I use bulkheads for the others understanding. Furthermore, if your bulkheads which comprise the structrual integrity of the sub are badly damaged, all of a sudden, your ability to keep the water pressures out is now gone or compromised quite a bit. So, therefore your hull skin collapses with the bad bulkhead and water pours in. I know bulkheads keep water in one compartment and out of another but they also comprise structural integrity. This is how I see it in the game.

U-Bones
03-30-07, 12:59 PM

A destroyed (leaky/stuckopen) bulkhead may have NO bearing how much the Hull is leaking, and may still provide adequate reinforcement for the hull.

Sorry to niggle.
Sorry mate but all the game has to offer is bulkheads which I believe translates into hull. Therefore, since the game shows bulkheads I use bulkheads for the others understanding. Furthermore, if your bulkheads which comprise the structrual integrity of the sub are badly damaged, all of a sudden, your ability to keep the water pressures out is now gone or compromised quite a bit. So, therefore your hull skin collapses with the bad bulkhead and water pours in. I know bulkheads keep water in one compartment and out of another but they also comprise structural integrity. This is how I see it in the game.
Your choice. All I am saying is that the hull is seperate and is the only thing that seperates you from the water outside. I believe it is equated to the sub hit points in game and is hidden from view because the hull is also unrepairable - as you pointed out yourself while mistakenly equating bulkhead damage with a hole in the hull....

Joea, some just do not understand that a badly damaged bulkhead means very bad things including diving to PD. I do not understand how some feel a hole the size of your head gets blown through the hull that mid ocean repairs will make if like new and you can submerge to PD without issue....
Yes, your point that bulkhead damage should make a skipper suspect his hull is valid, and I never disputed that. But that is not the same as using "bulkhead damage" to describe or assume a hole in the hull.

Submarines are systems. The hull depends somewhat on the bulkheads for strength, but they are seperate components with seperate functions. Keeping the water outside is the job of the hull.

Dizoak
03-30-07, 01:12 PM
it may just be me, but i still can't get a grasp on it. personally, i think it should work a little more like SH3 where you just double click on a position and its staffed automatically to at least a minimum standard of efficiency. does the "battle stations" button do something akin to this? staffing all positions on the boat with all personnel (lets face it, i dont care how tired you are, if youre getting DC'd to death, no one is sleeping) so that your Damage Control team is automatically ready to respond to anything?

or maybe im completely missing the point.

U-Bones
03-30-07, 01:21 PM
it may just be me, but i still can't get a grasp on it. personally, i think it should work a little more like SH3 where you just double click on a position and its staffed automatically to at least a minimum standard of efficiency. does the "battle stations" button do something akin to this? staffing all positions on the boat with all personnel (lets face it, i dont care how tired you are, if youre getting DC'd to death, no one is sleeping) so that your Damage Control team is automatically ready to respond to anything?

If you are not already in battlestations, do that first to generally give every compartment in the boat an efficiency boost. You are right - everyone is an interested and motivated participant.

Second, activate and/or staff Damage Control (if not already done).

The only thing you need to do from that point on is prioritize their work and make good decisions.

The major difference between SH3 and SH4 workorders is that SH4 will autostart repairs (once the crew is activated), and it has a queue. In SH3 you had to specifically start every task. SH3 did give much more detailed feedback though, which I miss.

AVGWarhawk
03-30-07, 01:24 PM

Sorry to niggle.
Your choice. All I am saying is that the hull is seperate and is the only thing that seperates you from the water outside. I believe it is equated to the sub hit points in game and is hidden from view because the hull is also unrepairable - as you pointed out yourself while mistakenly equating bulkhead damage with a hole in the hull....

Joea, some just do not understand that a badly damaged bulkhead means very bad things including diving to PD. I do not understand how some feel a hole the size of your head gets blown through the hull that mid ocean repairs will make if like new and you can submerge to PD without issue....
Yes, your point that bulkhead damage should make a skipper suspect his hull is valid, and I never disputed that. But that is not the same as using "bulkhead damage" to describe or assume a hole in the hull.

Submarines are systems. The hull depends somewhat on the bulkheads for strength, but they are seperate components with seperate functions. Keeping the water outside is the job of the hull.

Agreed! The game only gives us bulkheads so we have to assume the meaning is hull as well. Although this damage control screen is more advanced than SH3, it still is lacking in some things:down:

AVGWarhawk
03-30-07, 01:25 PM

If you are not already in battlestations, do that first to generally give every compartment in the boat an efficiency boost. You are right - everyone is an interested and motivated participant.

Second, activate and/or staff Damage Control (if not already done).

The only thing you need to do from that point on is prioritize their work and make good decisions.

The major difference between SH3 and SH4 workorders is that SH4 will autostart repairs (once the crew is activated), and it has a queue. In SH3 you had to specifically start every task. SH3 did give much more detailed feedback though, which I miss.

Right on U-Bone:up: I always hit battle stations when attacking or being attacked. Just have to remember to have them stand down after the action has stopped or your men will start to die.......it is like the TERMINATOR he does not eat, he does not sleep, he just wants to kill!!!

GakunGak
03-30-07, 02:55 PM
I want damage control party from DAS BOOT after they sunk near gibraltar...:rock: