PDA

View Full Version : Guide to manual targeting needed for SH4

macky
03-28-07, 06:07 PM
I wonder if anyone is in the process, or inclined enough to create an idiot guide to manual targeting. I have been playing around with manual targeting and trying to gather tips n hints from a variety of places. It would be great if someone could do an idiot guide for nubs like me:yep:

I was quite happy with SH3 and never really got into manual targeting, but for some reason I want to do it in SH4. But with stadimeter (is that broke?) and TDC and finding speed, range and AOB is all a little vague. I know my maths and trig, but its how I do it to do this task.

Even if someone just could write a basic how-to it would be good. Hope you guys can help

RickC Sniper
03-28-07, 08:11 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108689

Will an instructional video be ok?

;)

JSF
03-28-07, 08:19 PM
I wonder if anyone is in the process, or inclined enough to create an idiot guide to manual targeting. I have been playing around with manual targeting and trying to gather tips n hints from a variety of places. It would be great if someone could do an idiot guide for nubs like me:yep:

I was quite happy with SH3 and never really got into manual targeting, but for some reason I want to do it in SH4. But with stadimeter (is that broke?) and TDC and finding speed, range and AOB is all a little vague. I know my maths and trig, but its how I do it to do this task.

Even if someone just could write a basic how-to it would be good. Hope you guys can help

No Sh*t........

At least in the real subs they had a tracking party.......in SH4 ur SOL!

vois2
03-28-07, 10:34 PM
I learned manual targeting back in 2005 from Paul Wasserman's site (http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/), and it was an immediate success. Heck, I even donated to his site out of gratitude. After my first successful manual attack in SH3 I ran around the block in my underwear, I was so dang happy.

I did however need to print out all forty pages or so of the guide, but it was well worth it. I studied it for a few days with pen and graph paper.

Now it's second nature. I surprised myself tonight and took out 3 ships in a convoy line in SH4; I use only manual targeting.

I saluted Paul each time a ship went to Davey Jones.

macky
03-29-07, 06:22 AM
hmm will check that site. Would be nice to be able to do manual.

the instructional video is great, but a bit quick for me:D, will be more useful when I know what I am supposed to do:yep:

Samu*
03-29-07, 07:20 AM
Take a look that video, it will explain alot. IMO manual targetting is much easier now than at SHIII. Only thing what bugs is that crono what would tell the speed of the target. The identification, AOB and distance are all very easy to map in SH4, but the speed of the target... :damn:

Lets say you play on 100 realism so you wont have map updates and such, you wont see your target at the "target map" (or similar..) because it only shows targets inside 1000 meters.. So how and where you can plot enemy ship positions in SH4 to calculate the used time and by that way estimate enemy speed?

Von Hinten
03-29-07, 07:39 AM
After my first successful manual attack in SH3 I ran around the block in my underwear, I was so dang happy.
You're weird, though I'm not sure what effect a successful manual attack will have on my own behavior ... :rotfl: