PDA

View Full Version : Another speed calculation question - with external nomograph

Phoenix3000
03-28-07, 05:12 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks to all those who have provided tips and suggestions to accurately gauge a ships speed, but I still either come up short - either hitting the stern or completely missing.

So, I downloaded and printed the Maneuvering Board from this link (thanks Muser) -

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=106618&highlight=maneuvering

It has a nomograph at the bottom - I'm using the Imperial measurement one with SH4, but here's the odd thing. I set up a test mission of just me and one ship, its course is due south at 9kts, mine is due west.

I'm at periscope depth and can safely track the ship on the chart. I plot its course over varying lengths of time, but when I put that info into the nomograph its never accurate!

Now the maneuvering board I assume is correct - but I can't get an accurate reading in SH4.

Anyone else tried it with more (or less) success?

I zoom in to measure in Yards, and use this on the nomograph, but still I get incorrect speeds. I even changed the speed of the ship to 3kts, but it still gave me the wrong speed when measured.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you if you have tried this - or are going to.

Forgot to add, I'm playing with full realism - EXCEPT for external camera (everyone loves the eye-candy!).

Cheers!

Px3000

Phoenix3000
03-28-07, 10:34 AM
Sorry, but I've *BUMPED* this before it moves to page 2 and gets lost.....:cool: