PDA

View Full Version : Bad flight modeling for attacking aircraft

nattydread
03-27-07, 09:28 PM
I assume the maneuvers are modeled to imitate the flight paths of birds in game in order to help us confuse an attacking plane for a bird...but the abrupt manuevers, pull ups at such slow speeds is really inaccurate.

I'd like to see aircraft behavior less arcadish and more realistic...it espeically bugs me since Im a pilot and I see planes doing stuff that deadly enough to preclude the need for me to shoot at them...they gonna kill kill themselves.

The attack runs should be longer and climb to higher altitudes beofre they turn back for another pass. These are planes, not acrobatic kites.

Takao
03-27-07, 09:33 PM
It looks to me like its the same flight model from SHIII. Boy, I didn't think the Sunderlands and B-24s were that aerobatic. I have seen the Mavis doing aerobatics only the Zeros could do.

nattydread
03-27-07, 10:00 PM
yeah, it is most immersion destroying feature for me in game...but thats just me I guess

bunkerratt
03-27-07, 10:31 PM
ahhh..you mean the hk8 doing extra 300 moves...lmao..yeah it sucks...

Takao
03-27-07, 10:39 PM
For me, its a Mavis, the H6k. I wish it was an Emily, best flying boat during WW2! On second thought, I'm glad its not an Emily.

Hey, I'm happy I haven't encountered the flights of 16-20 flying boats/bombers like I did in SHIII. I had one screenie(long since deleted) that showed 18 Sunderlands attacking my diving U-boat.

stabiz
03-27-07, 10:58 PM
:huh:

Anachronous
03-27-07, 11:12 PM
Watching teh bombers fly sideways is kinda cool.

Surely they could smooth it out by adding some Rate of Climb type stat. So they arent like they are ragdolls on a rollercoaster.

Takao
03-27-07, 11:18 PM
Yeah, stock SHIII 1.0 thru 1.4b was a real bad ass when it came to smacking you with air power. Some mods sorted it out though, less aircaft attacked you, but the a/c could take more punishment before going down. Wasn't much of a problem though, I usually pulled the pulg and crashed dived. Shooting down the a/c wasn't worth the effort. No renown(extra renown that I remember) and the boat stood a fair chance of damage and crew deaths. Never had a man wounded, killed, but never wounded.

DeePsix501
03-27-07, 11:26 PM
Not only do I hate aircraft that can do crazy moves and flips but planes that always spot you. Isn't their a chance that they cant see me? Especialy at night...

nattydread
03-28-07, 12:39 AM
Believe or not, but some bombers can do some pretty hard and tight turns when they werent loaded to heavy. I just cant stand seeing them pull up like cobras ready to strike. Or performing hammerheads. Let the planes maneuver over a course of a few miles and not within a 200yd footprint over the water.

joea
03-28-07, 02:57 AM
The ships in Il-2 are a bit off too...:rotfl:

Psyon
03-28-07, 07:51 AM
Not only do I hate aircraft that can do crazy moves and flips but planes that always spot you. Isn't their a chance that they cant see me? Especialy at night...

in daylight, surfaced, yes they see you. sometimes at periscope depth too

at night, spotlighting was the norm

SteamWake
03-28-07, 09:36 AM
The ships in Il-2 are a bit off too...:rotfl:

:p

Got to admit though the planes do act a little goofy. One might say the defy gravity.

tater
03-28-07, 09:56 AM
Yeah, the planes are screwy. Also, the zeros have bombs. They COULD carry 2x60kg, but almost never did. They also usually didn't have radios, so they should just be eliminated as a contact if they cannot be made to not report you (that or grossly reduced in frequency).

All planes other than flyingboats or floatplanes (CA floats, etc) should be encountered in 3s most of the time.

tater

walsh2509
03-28-07, 10:30 AM
Believe or not, but some bombers can do some pretty hard and tight turns when they werent loaded to heavy. I just cant stand seeing them pull up like cobras ready to strike. Or performing hammerheads. Let the planes maneuver over a course of a few miles and not within a 200yd footprint over the water.

I played the Midway battle quick mission, I take it was b-24s 4 engined twin tailed bombers dive bombing the BB. They come down on it on its stern, about from 2oclock steep dive and just about the bridge climbed up from about 6'oclock to almost 12o'clock climb, near straight up.

Sailor Steve
03-28-07, 10:34 AM
B-24s were level bombers and that's how they attacked - straight and level. They also did most of their attacks from 8000 feet or higher, and were not very effective against ships.

I know, that's the opposite of what I've said about their techniques against u-boats, but that was in the Atlantic and, well, against u-boats.

Steel_Tomb
03-28-07, 10:44 AM
I know this is hardly Falcon 4.0, but the other day I saw a Kongo get pounced by a B-25 and the thing pulled something close to a 20g turn its just stupid it would snap in RL.

walsh2509
03-28-07, 10:48 AM
Your right, I am not expecting flight sim flight specs for planes in a sub sim, but come on at least some sort of copy of there bombing runs , flight and turns.

tater
03-28-07, 10:57 AM
While the US heavy bombers usually level bombed in the pacific, they did not always do so. The first skip bomb attack by the 5th AF in the SWPA was done by a B-17, not a B-25D.

B-24s also practiced mast-height attacks:

http://members.spinn.net/~merrick/Stuff/barge_sunk_b24.jpg

http://members.spinn.net/~merrick/Stuff/coastal_vessels_sm.jpg

tater

Schultzy
03-28-07, 11:04 AM
hehe Thought I was on the IL2 forum for a minute. ;)

I think the planes are a bit easy to kill (ala SH3 before the supermods) but i dunno, flight models i'll leave to the others. It is a sub sim after all. :)

FIREWALL
03-28-07, 11:05 AM
As much as i'm concerned how they act . I'm also apalled how they look.
The same planes in SH-3 look so much better and alot more realistic. I
can't wait till the modders get hold of these and fix this for so many reasons.:)

nattydread
03-28-07, 12:25 PM
Coastal patrol bombers would make low-level attacks against shipping and subs...but im not sure if they'd do it against a warship.

B24s are actually very maneuverable in flat turns, but I wouldnt put much on its vertical abilities. They just need to stretch the attack runs out, have em stretch each leg about 2-4miles out from the target in a figure eight pattern...with the target being at the center/crossing point of the figure eight.

gnirtS
03-28-07, 12:28 PM
They pull up vertically into a speed losing steep climb after attacking. Makes them a near stationary target and dead easy for flak gun.

Not realistic at all. Nailed i think 5 in my last campaign in one patrol due to this.

Hartmann
03-28-07, 12:31 PM
Perhaps they used the same flight model for planes and seagulls :hmm:

nattydread
03-28-07, 12:33 PM
I wouldnt doubt it...i think they did it so we would confuse enemy aircraft with sea gulls...trying to catch us slippin'!