PDA

View Full Version : Vista Startup

TigerOmega
03-27-07, 10:44 AM
Here's a trick I do to help performance when I play a game that's a little intense for my system:
Windows XP:
Start>Run> MSCONFIG
Pick Selective Startup and uncheck:
Process SYSTEM.INI File
Process WIN.INI File
Load Startup Items
(LEAVE load System Services checked please.)
Switch to the Services Tab and mark the box that says:
Hide All Microsoft Services
Click Disable All
(Note: this will attempt to stop all running services, I disconnect my network cable so no Internet access. Not a good solution for MultiPlayer, but OK for Single.)
Click OK and the system will ask you to restart, Yes do restart. The computer will restart without all the other "Stuff" just what is needed to make your computer function, and the game should smooth out a bit for you.
After the reboot you'll see a message that you're running in Maintenance mode or something to that effect; OK it and close the MSCONFIG menu without changing anything: enjoy SH4/SH3 etc.

Undo: Run MSCONFIG again as above, and select Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services. Reboot and you're back to "normal".

Hope this eases some of the pain, Works great for my setup, was a MUST for Oblivion with all the mods.

The above is for XP. Does anyone know how to do Vista?

ScottD
03-27-07, 10:48 AM

If your that slow, why even run Vista?

Meerkat154
03-27-07, 10:53 AM

If your that slow, why even run Vista?

Vista actually scales itself very well depending on your hardware configuration. I'm running Vista from anything from a AMD 3200 with 1GB to a 4800X2 with 2GB of RAM and the OS runs very well. Vista turns off many of the "bells & whistles" if it detects your system is not capable during the install.
-Meerkat154