PDA

View Full Version : not happy

xatharas
03-27-07, 10:10 AM
bought the game today and even though I played the original game on my amiga I consider myself new to the game.
So I install the game and start school, which the manual refers to as the tutorial, I pick navigation and get the objective enter marked area. I click start and ... well nothing. No tutorial, so I started clicking around then and finally managed to plot a way to the area (after finding it!). I read reviews telling me it was both friendly towards experienced players but also to the novices. No help what so ever doesn't sound beginner friendly! :nope:

Okay you can make the game easier by setting realism to zero (which I did) but the complete lack of a decent tutorial that shows you how to operate the ship is a big nono in this day and age! Especially for a simulation.

I expected more here and am very disapointed and I didn't even start the game proper ( I can imagine lots of first timers who never get further then the school bit and a few frustrating hours in the reeal game not knowing what they're doing)
:down:
Ofcourse it could be that I'm just stupid:oops:

1mPHUNit0
03-27-07, 10:14 AM
No no If you play SHIII you find a fantastic tuto
This is a incomplete game.....im sorry for that
But stay with us.....sub sim are enjoyables sim

Onkel Neal
03-27-07, 10:22 AM
bought the game today and even though I played the original game on my amiga I consider myself new to the game.
So I install the game and start school, which the manual refers to as the tutorial, I pick navigation and get the objective enter marked area. I click start and ... well nothing. No tutorial, so I started clicking around then and finally managed to plot a way to the area (after finding it!). I read reviews telling me it was both friendly towards experienced players but also to the novices. No help what so ever doesn't sound beginner friendly! :nope:

Okay you can make the game easier by setting realism to zero (which I did) but the complete lack of a decent tutorial that shows you how to operate the ship is a big nono in this day and age! Especially for a simulation.

I expected more here and am very disapointed and I didn't even start the game proper ( I can imagine lots of first timers who never get further then the school bit and a few frustrating hours in the reeal game not knowing what they're doing)
:down:
Ofcourse it could be that I'm just stupid:oops:

Well, you're not stupid. The game does happen to be friendly to novices in that it is very scalable, there are numerous realism options that can ease a first time subsim player into the action.

But you are right, the "tutorial" is one of the worst I've seen. And the manual is even worse. I don’t want to write my review here, but those two aspects really defeat Ubisoft's purpose of trying to capture the "casual" gamer with Hollywood effects and visuals. Hooray for Hollywood graphics, but when the one-half of the manual is comprised of pictures of the different ships, the same pictures that come on the bonus poster and in the game's ID book, yet the manual skips over most of the game functions and what they mean, someone should be looking for a new line of work.

Gorgon
03-27-07, 10:35 AM
Well, I just ordered SH4 (UK Amazon Collectors edition), and I hope its here by Friday (I'm finnishing STALKER in the meanwhile).

I played SH3 for a while about 1.5 years ago, a friend borrowed his game to me. At the time my system was a bit on the low end and I ended up not playing much. After reading these forums for quite sometime (actually since SH3) and especially now for SH4 I'm a bit worried that the game is too flawed. I just hope that the patches and mods eventually correct what should have been there from the beguinning. I hope I haven't put my money on a forever-flawed game.

By the way, this is my first post here :yep:. I played some sub sims earlier like SH3, Silent Service II (on the Amiga) and another one that I THINK was Aces of the Deep (looooooooonnng time ago), so I'm in no way a sub-geek or very knowledgeable about the theme. Anyway, the genre attracts me enough to come back again and again for the fourth game in the genre, and ho knows, maybe I'll be completely hooked by it....;)

1mPHUNit0
03-27-07, 12:43 PM
Dear, SHII/DC
Don't miss that