PDA

View Full Version : Radar Depth IS in the Game!

PeriscopeDepth
03-27-07, 04:36 AM
...but not through the interface, which is fine with me. I only confirmed that it works in a Gato, but can't see why it wouldn't work with the other boats. Go to circa 46 feet, and your radar mast will be poking above the surface (I wonder how the game treats this in relation to the enemy AI spotting you). Go to your radar station and manually power up the radar and sweep away! This should come in handy for night approaches!:arrgh!:

PD

Immacolata
03-27-07, 06:00 AM
That is good news :)

ryuzu
03-27-07, 08:08 AM
...but not through the interface, which is fine with me. I only confirmed that it works in a Gato, but can't see why it wouldn't work with the other boats. Go to circa 46 feet, and your radar mast will be poking above the surface (I wonder how the game treats this in relation to the enemy AI spotting you). Go to your radar station and manually power up the radar and sweep away! This should come in handy for night approaches!:arrgh!:

PD

Someone else posted that they had tested running "decks awash" (i.e. at various depths less than periscope depth) and that 1) The AI could see them as if they were fully surfaced and 2) It saved them time on diving.

Historically, US subs had a periscope mounted radar system - so you could get radar range at periscope depth through the appropriate periscope.

EDIT : As I understand it, there was no support for normal radar searching when using the Radar through the periscope. This was used only for getting accurate target range.

r.

Hitman
03-27-07, 08:52 AM
Because so many from the old commands from SH3 still work here, I think it would be worth seeing if the key configuration file still has an entry for "Snorkel Depth", as it would probably take your US sub to a radar depth in fact :hmm: