PDA

View Full Version : Confusion on release date

shawnyp420
03-20-07, 09:56 AM
So, the website says the game releases today. BUT, no stores have it. (I've called all of them.) So what gives? Why say a game releases today but not have it available to buy?

I'm in the US by the way.

StandingCow
03-20-07, 09:59 AM
Odd... most stores at least have them in the back room by now ready to be put out. I asked a buddy of mine that works at EB if he had gotten the game yet and he said no...

Maybe they recieve them today.

NefariousKoel
03-20-07, 10:08 AM
Quite often retail stores such as EB get the games in a day or two after the official release date.

Your local store must be waiting on the shipment still.

shawnyp420
03-20-07, 10:14 AM
That's so bunk. If a game releases on the 20th, well by gum it ought to be available for purchase on the 20th!!!! Boo Hiss to Ubi for this travesty. Very disapointing!!

Seadogs
03-20-07, 10:18 AM
Don't get too upset. I'm still waiting to DOWNLOAD my pre-order. :damn:

Skorn
03-20-07, 10:24 AM
I know that a lot of stores get their shipments for the week on Tuesday, so it's a possibility that it will be arriving sometime today. But, then again, maybe not :damn:

ryuzu
03-20-07, 10:26 AM
So, the website says the game releases today. BUT, no stores have it. (I've called all of them.) So what gives? Why say a game releases today but not have it available to buy?

I'm in the US by the way.

Well, it's pretty standard practice in the USA for a game to be "released" by the publisher but not actually available off the shelf until a couple of days later. The publisher's release is presumably when they release it to the retail outlets.

This is for the USA by the way - the UK doesn't work that way (for the most part).

r.

mookiemookie
03-20-07, 10:26 AM
That's so bunk. If a game releases on the 20th, well by gum it ought to be available for purchase on the 20th!!!! Boo Hiss to Ubi for this travesty. Very disapointing!!

I think you're confused on the difference between a release date and a ship date. 3/20/07 is the ship date. Meaning that it ships out today if you ordered it online. Since the fastest shipping option you can do is overnight, you'll get it on the release date which is 3/21/07 which is the same as if you went down to your local retailer and bought it in person.

Games are always released for actual in-store purchase on Wednesdays. Remember that and you'll be fine.

scg737
03-20-07, 10:45 AM
As of 11:45am, in the Atlanta area, none of the GameStops I've called have it. Some expect a copy or two tomorrow but all are encouraging me to pre-order today to guarantee delivery to their store tomorrow.

Still waffling on what to do....:hmm:

Arrowhead2k1
03-20-07, 10:48 AM
I just called my local EB games(Toronto, Ontario, Canada). One said it was coming on the 23rd, the other said thursday(22nd)... I know they have them in the back, wtf!

shawnyp420
03-20-07, 11:20 AM
I'll be calling the EBs and Gamestops all over my state until they close tonight...And then I'll be bugging them all day tomorrow until they put the game out.

Torcher
03-20-07, 11:35 AM

I think you're confused on the difference between a release date and a ship date. 3/20/07 is the ship date. Meaning that it ships out today if you ordered it online. Since the fastest shipping option you can do is overnight, you'll get it on the release date which is 3/21/07 which is the same as if you went down to your local retailer and bought it in person.

Games are always released for actual in-store purchase on Wednesdays. Remember that and you'll be fine.

I got my "It's shipped. Here's your tracking number" email from Ubi today. Checking the tracking number, it left on the 19th from Illinois, was enroute today and should be in Cleveland tonight for delivery tomorrow. Thing I love is that I had used only standard shipping.

Of course, I have a big presentation Thursday night so I'll be in front of my computer late the next fews days .... only not playing SH4 :damn:

CaptJodan
03-20-07, 11:46 AM
My past experience suggests that it seems often the title itself makes a difference.

Take something like a big hit Star Wars title or Battlefront. These games are actaully in the stores, on the shelves on release day. In the US this is invariably a Tuesday. Any big movie or music CD is also avaliable on the day they say it is.

By contrast, my beloved sims like IL-2, any and all sub games I've ever purchased and any other game that seems to be not as well known tends to be held back for days. Some of the local stores don't get it in till a week after it was "released". (IL-2 46 was one of the worst, incidentally, with the US shipments coming in far later than expected for those few online stores offering in the US) I've never really understood why it tends to go this way. Maybe the bigger games have more money to spread for shipping to stores, or maybe the stores themselves spend more money to ship it overnight so that they will have it, knowing a lot of sales will be lost if they don't have it on the first day. But for our little niche, they don't really feel it's a big loss (how many times I walk in and say "Do you have x sim?" and they reply "Um...what's that?").

Anyway, Amazon still has not sent me confirmation of shipping. Can't blame Neal, don't blame Neal, happy to support Neal, but you'd think such a large store as that would get it in the mail today. There's still time left. I cross my fingers. (any lucky traditions in the navy that can be performed at home that would get this here faster? Apeasements to Neptune? Anything?)

shawnyp420
03-20-07, 11:53 AM
Right...That's what makes me so upset. You better believe Flight Simulator X was on the shelves on "release" day.

But Silent Hunter?? Nope....
I'm gonna keep calling...and calling...and calling...

geetrue
03-20-07, 11:57 AM
This release is easy compared to SH2 ...

That one came out during the 9/11 crisis and no planes were flying ...

Ground delivery really meant ground delivery ...

mookiemookie
03-20-07, 12:04 PM
In the US this is invariably a Tuesday.

For PC games it's usually a Wednesday. DVDs are Tuesdays.

shawnyp420
03-20-07, 12:09 PM
Dang I wish I knew sombody at gamestop. This really sucks. I bet they have them they just don't want to bother putting stickers on them and whatnot. I hate geeks sometimes.

scg737
03-20-07, 12:44 PM
Still waffling on what to do....:hmm:
I'm waffling no more. I'm going to go ahead and Pre-Order (Never mind it's already been released) and pick it up tomorrow from the local GameStop. This does blow pretty bad, considering I picked up Halo 2 & WoW Burning Crusade on 12:01am of their "Release Day" from the local BestBuy.

I guess it all boils down to demand for the game, and simulations will never have the following of the epic first person shooters or WoW....sigh.

Stephen

fidget
03-20-07, 12:52 PM
I reserved a copy at my local EB Games yesterday. They told me to check back on the afternoon of the 21st (they recieve their shipments after 2 pm each day). The sales guy said it could be as late as the 22nd before they get some though. I checked at BestBuy, and their web site is showing a release date of 3/22 for the game. This is all in the US btw (east coast).

RickC Sniper
03-20-07, 12:55 PM
My local Gamestop and EB stores say the won't GET the game until tomorrow. One said he'd have it on the shelf by early afternoon, the rest said they get deliveries at around 4 p.m., and they expect to have the game on their shelf soon after.

malkuth74
03-20-07, 01:03 PM
This is how it usually works. Most US stores won't have it to tommorow. Seems the EU stores might have it because they had them in the back for at least a half week. And UBI overseas started shipping yesterday, and UBI US shipped yesterday. So if you ordered from UBI and overnighted it you should have it today no matter where you live.

All others have to wait until tommorow. Because places like EB Doesn't ship out of Warehouses to stores until today.

malkuth74
03-20-07, 01:08 PM

he is actually right sometimes you can pick up games on Tuesday. For instance In november (same store Im getting SHIV mind you) they had Medievil total war II on Tuesday.

Some games are just different then others. Bigger titles they take more serious. For instance When I preordered today at the store, they said they were only getting 3 copies of SHIV in Wend.

flintlock
03-20-07, 01:11 PM
That one came out during the 9/11 crisis and no planes were flying ...
Technically there were a lot of planes flying. The squadrons of fighter jets had other business at hand.

shawnyp420
03-20-07, 01:24 PM
<Edit - Gizzmoe>

malkuth74
03-20-07, 01:34 PM
<Edit - Gizzmoe>
Suggest you edit that. We don't take kindly to that sort of stuff in this forum. The game is not late. It ships today. Its simple.

It sucks some people get it today but that life. Suck it up.

Red Devil
03-20-07, 01:35 PM
Its March 20th 2007 and I have, in my hands, SH4!!!

Bye for now, off to do some training! :ping:

Ducimus
03-20-07, 01:37 PM
Anyone who preordered their copy through the subsim amazon link - has your order shipped yet?

mookiemookie
03-20-07, 01:38 PM

he is actually right sometimes you can pick up games on Tuesday. For instance In november (same store Im getting SHIV mind you) they had Medievil total war II on Tuesday.

Some games are just different then others. Bigger titles they take more serious. For instance When I preordered today at the store, they said they were only getting 3 copies of SHIV in Wend.

EB Games made me wait until Wednesday for Oblivion when it was listed as a Tuesday release date. I was told then by the guy at EB that Wednesdays are new release days and that's pretty much been my experience.

Greyghost
03-20-07, 01:44 PM
The Gamestop closest to me told me that "IF" they get any copies at all it would probably only be one copy. I'm really starting to hate the way consoles are taking over the gaming market. :damn:

SteamWake
03-20-07, 01:44 PM
EB Games website has read "Ships on 03/20/07" for quite some time.

The game is now listed in "new releases" and states "usually ships within 24 hours".

So Im assuming the 3/20 date is a "ships on" date. I know the local EB store here does not get there delivery (UPS) untill well after noon, sometimes not till after 3:00 pm.

akdavis
03-20-07, 02:03 PM
Anyone who preordered their copy through the subsim amazon link - has your order shipped yet?

At 2:00 pm my time:

Items not yet shipped:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/icons/arrow_subordinate.gif Delivery estimate: March 21, 2007
1 of: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific [CD]
Sold by: Amazon.com</SPAN>

malkuth74
03-20-07, 02:08 PM
At 2:00 pm my time:

Items not yet shipped:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/icons/arrow_subordinate.gif Delivery estimate: March 21, 2007
Sold by: Amazon.com</SPAN>

To make some of you feel better anytime I ever pre ordered From EB games and overnighted the game I got the game before I got the Email. Late last night people reported UBI emails being sent. (since its all automated) and I'm sure that your Amazon type accounts will be the same way.

I don't pre order much anymore because I go buy a GameStop or Eb almost every day now.

Red Devil
03-20-07, 02:39 PM
Deep Joy!! I am the proud owner of SH4 and

IT WONT PLAY!!!

Black Screen and nothing. Uninstall works fine though!!!

:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

malkuth74
03-20-07, 02:41 PM
Deep Joy!! I am the proud owner of SH4 and

IT WONT PLAY!!!

Black Screen and nothing. Uninstall works fine though!!!

:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

Oh no, what are your system specs Red?

Nightmare
03-20-07, 02:57 PM
I reserved my copy at a local Gamestop. Phone conversation yesterday stated that it would be in today, however their noon shipment arrived without a single copy of SH4, so now it looks like tomorrow. :damn: :damn: :damn:

fullmetaledges
03-20-07, 03:03 PM
I pre ordered with EB and haven't got a confirmation email yet so I called them and they said it will be sent out today.

Tigrone
03-20-07, 03:28 PM

Order Date: February 21, 2007
Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: March 23, 2007
Sold by: Amazon.com