PDA

View Full Version : Sound issues?

gonzlor
03-20-07, 07:43 AM
Hey everybody, Big SH3 fan, Got home with my copy of SH4 installed it and went into the training, I noticed a few things were a bit funny like the boys keep repeating numbers for ever.

It wasn't until I was in the first patrol of my career when I blew up a battleship and the explosion sound looped... and looped ... and looped.

Now I've noticed it happens to alot of things, seagulls, sailors, explosions.

I've got onboard realtek AC97 audio at the moment, with the newest drivers and Windows Vista , also DirectX 10.

I haven't been able to work out what is wrong and why It keeps doing it, I even tried an older version of the AC97 audio drivers.

Had no problem in SH3 with anything sound related so this is driving my nuts, The looping sounds are nearly giving me a headache and I just can't seem to play without sound at all (Trust me I tried).

Any ideas? :damn:

I'm going mad!

DaMaGe007
03-20-07, 07:51 AM
I had this problem to some degree in sh3...you need to disable hardware accelleration for your onboard soundcard.

Im not sure where it is in vista so I can be of anymore help than that, you will just have to poke around till you find it.

Since you have a onboard soundcard you wont lose any quality ect by disabling it..and there doesnt seem to be much if any performance hit for disabling it...

give it a try, I think this should fix your problem

gonzlor
03-20-07, 08:02 AM
Seems I'm unable to do that in Vista.

I'm not TOO worried because over 10 years of hearing that suggestion for any sound related issues I've ever had with any game ever It's never actually made a difference, But thank you for helping anyway! :know:

Dowly
03-20-07, 08:04 AM
Yeh, had the same problem with pretty much every sound in SH4. But turning off the hardware acceleration actually worked in this case. Now I just need to figure a way to enable the forced AA... :hmm:

gonzlor
03-20-07, 08:06 AM
In that case, I need to find a way to do it in Vista.

I used to do it via dxdiag from the run prompt, But the Vista version (or perhaps the vista drivers for my ac97) is very very limited in options, I don't even have those sliders anymore to change it.

DaMaGe007
03-20-07, 08:08 AM
Yeah the engine is just an enhanced sh3 so the fix should work, Im sure it will be in vista somewhere its just a matter of finding it...

Intrestingly enough, I had to disable the acceleration in my win2k install, but since installing windows again (win2k) I havent had to disable it this time lol...

DaMaGe007
03-20-07, 08:09 AM
Try Control pannel > sounds and multimedia...or somthing similar...

Dragonhammer
03-20-07, 08:13 AM
I had that problem too and discovered that the looping sound is caused by the option "realistic sound travel time"
If you uncheck that option the looping sound problem is gone.

Killjoy
03-20-07, 08:18 AM
you can't disable it in vista because it doesn't exist in vista

just an FYI, h/w sound acceleration was removed in DX10

DaMaGe007
03-20-07, 08:24 AM
Thats interesting...how do creative EAX feel about that ?

Killjoy
03-20-07, 08:31 AM

take a wander over to the creative forums lol, they aren't happy at all and creative has been very slow in providing driver support for vista that actually works

TDK1044
03-20-07, 08:40 AM
I had that problem too and discovered that the looping sound is caused by the option "realistic sound travel time"
If you uncheck that option the looping sound problem is gone.

Where is that setting exactly?

Ragtag
03-20-07, 09:18 AM

take a wander over to the creative forums lol, they aren't happy at all and creative has been very slow in providing driver support for vista that actually works

I believe a full official driver suite is going to be released by Creative 30th march... for now theres only real bad beta drivers.

Dragonhammer
03-20-07, 10:17 AM
You can find "realistic sound travel time" ingame under sound settings just uncheck it and the problems are gone.

TDK1044
03-20-07, 10:27 AM
Great. Thanks. I may not need it...but it's nice to know it's there.

Shaffer4
03-20-07, 11:20 AM
Hardware Settings under XP:

Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices / Audio / then "Advanced" under Sound Playback / Performance

There should be a slider there. if you can't find it, I can post some screenies later. :)

digitizedsoul
03-20-07, 11:49 AM
The problem with sounds is related to the new setting:

"Sound travel is realistic"

If you disable this it seems to solve the looping sound problem. Sucks though because the feature is REALLY cool when it works. You shoot a shell.... the explosion happens and hits you a few seconds later.... really cool but loops :)

SUBMAN1
03-20-07, 11:56 AM
I had this problem to some degree in sh3...you need to disable hardware accelleration for your onboard soundcard.

Im not sure where it is in vista so I can be of anymore help than that, you will just have to poke around till you find it.

Since you have a onboard soundcard you wont lose any quality ect by disabling it..and there doesnt seem to be much if any performance hit for disabling it...

give it a try, I think this should fix your problem

There is not hardware acceleration for sound in Vista. Its all done in software.

gonzlor
03-20-07, 10:37 PM

If you disable this it seems to solve the looping sound problem. Sucks though because the feature is REALLY cool when it works. You shoot a shell.... the explosion happens and hits you a few seconds later.... really cool but loops :)

Ahh! I see! I disabled it and restarted the game to make sure, And it worked..... for a while, about mid patrol I started to get the looping sounds again, voices etc, I played for a whole half hour in perfect audio conditions, It got my hopes up! :damn:

At least I didn't have to start the patrol with that annoying looping, but as soon as I engaged a japanese boat it started to flare up again... 2 ..5 ..6 ... 3 over and over.

stabiz
03-20-07, 10:42 PM
Many experienced this problem in SH3 (I never did), so I guess it could travel over in SH4, being the same engine and all.

The only sound issue I had with SH3 was that the outside sounds came inside if I Alt+Tab`ed out of the game, and went back. Not very funny when a storm is raging.:D

Dude
03-21-07, 08:42 AM
Try ->Run->DxDiag->Sound->Set Sound Acceleration to none(zero).

That should do the trick.

That is of course if Windows Vista has external support for DirectX and it is not embeded into the Operating System,in which case I don't know how to access DirectX since I don't have Windows Vista :)

gonzlor
03-21-07, 10:32 PM
Can't do it in Vista it seems, reading other people saying there's no hardware acceleration in Vista anyway, considering also I don't have a sound card to do that hardware acceleration it shouldn't make a difference.

StandingCow
03-21-07, 10:33 PM
Anybody had the crew voices sound like they sucked a balloon full of hellium yet?

gonzlor
03-21-07, 10:35 PM
I have occasionaly, I figured this is because (I think) the game has a few voice sets and just varies the pitch to mimic different crew, Like in SH3 it was usually off key and you'd have a 10 year old in your crew.

XanderF
03-22-07, 02:25 AM

Ahh! I see! I disabled it and restarted the game to make sure, And it worked..... for a while, about mid patrol I started to get the looping sounds again, voices etc, I played for a whole half hour in perfect audio conditions, It got my hopes up! :damn:

At least I didn't have to start the patrol with that annoying looping, but as soon as I engaged a japanese boat it started to flare up again... 2 ..5 ..6 ... 3 over and over.

Can you dual-boot into XP and create an install of Sh4 there? Might be an option to consider.

Personally, we don't even support Vista at my company yet due to the...hmm...'immature' nature of much of it. OS is fine, really, but the drivers are...less so. Realtek support IS pretty good, but...for my money? I'll just as soon stick with a SoundBlaster X-Fi and hardware acceleration in the 'tried and true' XP. (If for no other reason than - it's what the game was designed for!)

Not that I don't plan on upgrading as soon as possible, at any rate - Vista packs a LOT of cool features. It's just that...so much breaks with it right now, it seems more prudent to wait.