PDA

View Full Version : Enough water on Mars to cover the entire planet!!

SUBMAN1
03-18-07, 01:17 PM
And enough of it to cover it completely to a depth of 11 meters! Not only does this make a Mars base much easier to maintain - you can get all sorts of things you need from water like oxygen for example, but it also makes Terraforming it a much easier possibility too! The Terraforming project wil be outside my lifetime, but it is still a cool possiblity!

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/03/15/science-marswater-20070315.html

-S

CptSimFreak
03-18-07, 02:10 PM
What is the range of temperature on mars?

STEED
03-18-07, 02:22 PM
Transformation of another planet and what will happen? Take a look at the Earth what a bloody mess. All we will do is turn Mars into a rubbish dump it's in our nature.

CptSimFreak
03-18-07, 02:26 PM
Transformation of another planet and what will happen? Take a look at the Earth what a bloody mess. All we will do is turn Mars into a rubbish dump it's in our nature.

And that's why it will happen; to get away from this mess. :D

STEED
03-18-07, 02:28 PM

So we turn Mars into a rubbish dump where do we go?

Rilder
03-18-07, 02:30 PM
If it has water it has to have shipping, if it has shipping there must be subs! :D

August
03-18-07, 03:02 PM
Is it possible to create a breathable atmosphere on a cold core planet?

ASWnut101
03-18-07, 03:26 PM

To the moon!...

Yes, I think it is possible to do that. Is it really a cold core, though?

kiwi_2005
03-18-07, 03:27 PM
So did they find Snapper in em waters, i love snapper might be a good future fishing spot! :)

Letum
03-18-07, 07:18 PM

In theory, but the biggest problem is creating a big enough atmosphere. It would require many billions of tonnes of gas. More than could ever be produced.

August
03-18-07, 07:32 PM
In theory, but the biggest problem is creating a big enough atmosphere. It would require many billions of tonnes of gas. More than could ever be produced.

Assuming the production problems could be solved wouldn't the absence of a protective magnetic field allow cosmic winds to just erode away any atmosphere one might create?

elite_hunter_sh3
03-18-07, 07:33 PM
thats alot of water, i say best thing to do is forget mars, concentrate on the moon and mine it for all the minerals it has (if it has any)

edit* JAWOHL commodore herr kaleuns!!!:arrgh!::arrgh!:

STEED
03-18-07, 07:39 PM
What about the Moon (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/18/nmoon18.xml)

ASWnut101
03-18-07, 07:55 PM

Assuming the production problems could be solved wouldn't the absence of a protective magnetic field allow cosmic winds to just erode away any atmosphere one might create?

Yep, that would happen. But you all must know this: Mars has an atmosphere (Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars)). All you need to do, and I know I'm making this sound easy, is to alter the atmospheric compostion to an "Earth Composition." You would also need to find a way to raise the atmospheric pressure to a liveable level.

Mars' Atmospheric Composition:

95.72% Carbon dioxide
2.7% Nitrogen
1.6% Argon
0.2% Oxygen
0.07% Carbon Monoxide
0.03% Water vapor
0.01% Nitric Oxide

ASWnut101
03-18-07, 08:04 PM
What about the Moon (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/18/nmoon18.xml)

There would be no way to give the moon liquid water on the surface. It has no atmosphere at all, unlike Mars. But ice on the moon means that we can sustain life under the surface of the moon, in a place that we can control the atmosphere.

CptSimFreak
03-18-07, 08:14 PM
It would be interesting to live with .3Gs....

fatty
03-18-07, 08:40 PM

The future is clear:

http://translab.burundi.sk/pix/71-1.jpg

SUBMAN1
03-18-07, 11:32 PM
Yep, that would happen. But you all must know this: Mars has an atmosphere (Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars)). All you need to do, and I know I'm making this sound easy, is to alter the atmospheric compostion to an "Earth Composition." You would also need to find a way to raise the atmospheric pressure to a liveable level.

Mars' Atmospheric Composition:

95.72% Carbon dioxide
2.7% Nitrogen
1.6% Argon
0.2% Oxygen
0.07% Carbon Monoxide
0.03% Water vapor
0.01% Nitric Oxide

And how would you do this? With Water of course! SOme good old Earth pollutants can also help out a bit! ie. The greenhouse gas type.

What most people don't know if that Mars was very similar to Earth at one point in time. Life is also a possibility. Europa also may harbor life. I suspect Mars will be studied even more closely now.

-S

August
03-19-07, 12:41 AM
It would be interesting to live with .3Gs....

I read somewhere about the moons potential as a retirement community. 1/6th gravity means 1/6th the physical effort to move around and 1/6th the load on the heart.

Not somewhere one could expect to get a lot of visitors though...

August
03-19-07, 12:43 AM

So atmospheric erosion would effect pressure rather than composition?

Letum
03-19-07, 01:21 AM
Yep, that would happen. But you all must know this: Mars has an atmosphere (Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars)). All you need to do, and I know I'm making this sound easy, is to alter the atmospheric composition to an "Earth Composition." You would also need to find a way to raise the atmospheric pressure to a livable level.
No, solar winds do not effect pressure directly.
Mars has a atmosphere much thinner than Earths, so there is less pressure. The atmosphere above us on Earth exerts a surprising 10.2 tonnes per meter squared at sea level. On mars the atmosphere gives less than 0.1 tonne per meter squared, as a result we (humans and animals) would "inflate" under the relative vacuum.

Solar winds do, however sweep the outer layers of atmosphere out into space. This isn't a issue for earth as our molten core provides a magnetic field which deflects the solar winds, but mars has a smaller, solid core (or semi-liquid) which only provides a weak magnetic field. As a result it has lost at least 1/3 of it's atmosphere; therefore reducing atmospheric pressure indirectly.

To create a sustainable atmosphere we would first need a strong magnetic field for mars, this isn't a huge problem if you can create enough power, however it would need far more power than every power plant together have ever created so far.

SUBMAN1
03-19-07, 12:39 PM
http://www.redcolony.com/wiki/images/5/5f/Blue_mars1.jpg

The Noob
03-19-07, 01:38 PM

We go from planet to planet, conquering and destroying everything in a trail of annihilation we leave behind. :up:

Earth got pwnd, now its time to find a new victim.

Letum
03-19-07, 01:48 PM
So we turn Mars into a rubbish dump where do we go? We go from planet to planet, conquering and destroying everything in a trail of annihilation we leave behind. :up:

Earth got pwnd, now its time to find a new victim.

To be honest it would be hard to actually make mars worse than it is already.....

SUBMAN1
03-19-07, 01:53 PM
To be honest it would be hard to actually make mars worse than it is already.....
Good point. Hostile doesn't even begin to cover it. Could be worse though - The moon.

ASWnut101
03-19-07, 02:25 PM
Yep, that would happen. But you all must know this: Mars has an atmosphere (Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars)). All you need to do, and I know I'm making this sound easy, is to alter the atmospheric composition to an "Earth Composition." You would also need to find a way to raise the atmospheric pressure to a livable level.
No, solar winds do not effect pressure directly.
Mars has a atmosphere much thinner than Earths, so there is less pressure. The atmosphere above us on Earth exerts a surprising 10.2 tonnes per meter squared at sea level. On mars the atmosphere gives less than 0.1 tonne per meter squared, as a result we (humans and animals) would "inflate" under the relative vacuum.

Solar winds do, however sweep the outer layers of atmosphere out into space. This isn't a issue for earth as our molten core provides a magnetic field which deflects the solar winds, but mars has a smaller, solid core (or semi-liquid) which only provides a weak magnetic field. As a result it has lost at least 1/3 of it's atmosphere; therefore reducing atmospheric pressure indirectly.

To create a sustainable atmosphere we would first need a strong magnetic field for mars, this isn't a huge problem if you can create enough power, however it would need far more power than every power plant together have ever created so far.

Actually, wouldn't it affect both?

Because there is no magnetic field, would the solar winds just erode the upper layers of the atmosphere, decreasing the amount of atmosphere on the planet. Hence, less atmosphere would mean less pressure, right?

Also, what is Mars' core made from?

Letum
03-19-07, 02:42 PM
Actually, wouldn't it affect both?

Because there is no magnetic field, would the solar winds just erode the upper layers of the atmosphere, decreasing the amount of atmosphere on the planet. Hence, less atmosphere would mean less pressure, right

Yes, thats what I said! t just does not effect pressure directly - it does it throught the errosion of atmostphere.

Also, what is Mars' core made from?

We can not know with any degree of certainty without conducting seismic tests on mars. However it is thought that mars will have the same materials in it's core as earth, but in different amounts. Like Earth it will have a nickel/iron core. Either a large solid one or a small semi-liquid core. It is likely that mars contains less radioactive materials than Earth (uranium, radon, carbon etc). I don't know any more than that.

SUBMAN1
03-20-07, 04:29 PM
Maybe we should go to the moon first since we could glean every last resource on the thing - the Space Hoover is active and functional. Don't beleive me?

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn11406-magnetic-elephant-trunk-sucks-up-lunar-soil.html?DCMP=Matt_Sparkes&nsref=trunk