PDA

View Full Version : I kind of hope for manual Dive Planes

OneTinSoldier
03-17-07, 02:54 PM
Not a big deal, but I'm kind of hoping for manual control of the Dive Planes rather than they be automatic. Don't you think that would be cool? :cool: They'll probably be automatic though.

Rip
03-17-07, 02:58 PM
I would be thrilled with just the ability to change depth "smartly" causing the diving party to use steep angles.

aanker
03-17-07, 03:02 PM
a very big deal !! I would be shocked if manual dive planes were omitted. Even SH I had them.

AirborneTD
03-17-07, 03:27 PM
I'm worried because every screenshot I've seen with a boat on the surface has them deployed. I really hope they are retracted (either auto or manual) when running on the surface.

mookiemookie
03-17-07, 03:32 PM
a very big deal !! I would be shocked if manual dive planes were omitted. Even SH I had them.

SH3 didn't :cry:

CCIP
03-17-07, 04:42 PM
I'm 99% sure it won't.

From SHIII, the explanation the devs gave is that you play the captain of a sub - and a captain gives orders, he doesn't go grabbig all the manual controls.

In a way, the explanation made sense to me, though sometimes I do wish for more manual control. However, I don't think we'll be getting it. I'm fine with that myself...

Sailor Steve
03-17-07, 04:58 PM
World War Two subs weren't like modern ones, with a single 'pilot' controlling the ship. There were two planesmen, one for forward and one for aft planes, plus a helmsman to steer.

It might be cool, but it's nowhere close to realistic.

Arrowhead2k1
03-17-07, 05:24 PM
The 'Captain' should atleast be able to request a steeper dive, shouldn't he?

OneTinSoldier
03-17-07, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Although I kind of hope for some manual control I'm fine with them being auto as well. I do wonder if there was ever good reason for a Captain to give orders to rig in or rig out diving planes. :hmm:

Cheers All

mookiemookie
03-17-07, 06:32 PM
The 'Captain' should atleast be able to request a steeper dive, shouldn't he?

Question coming from someone who's never served on a submarine: I understand why a captain would order a steeper than normal dive (get the hell down, and quick!) but why would he order a shallower than normal dive? :hmm:

nattydread
03-17-07, 07:25 PM
I dont really need to see manual dive planes, just the ability to order steeper dives and request trim in degrees of nose/tail up or down.

I'd like to see steep dives be limited by experience and skill of the planesmen, so requesting and forcing too steep of a dive for a green crew could lead to the sub going out off control, or having problems leveling out at the desired depth, etc.

OneTinSoldier
03-17-07, 07:35 PM
Sounds good to me nattydread. :up:

Schultzy
03-17-07, 08:20 PM
I'm worried because every screenshot I've seen with a boat on the surface has them deployed. I really hope they are retracted (either auto or manual) when running on the surface.

Then worry no longer.

Feast your eyes on this:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7269/41me7.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=41me7.jpg)
click me

AirborneTD
03-17-07, 08:40 PM
Hehe. Nice, Schultzy, nice.

aanker
03-18-07, 03:48 PM
I'm 99% sure it won't.

From SHIII, the explanation the devs gave is that you play the captain of a sub - and a captain gives orders, he doesn't go grabbig all the manual controls.

In a way, the explanation made sense to me, though sometimes I do wish for more manual control. However, I don't think we'll be getting it. I'm fine with that myself...
Initially this made sense however using the explanation, "you are the Captain"... the Captain wouldn't be operating the TDC as manual TDC players like to do. ;-)

In SH I (and Pacific Aces with the Projekt Messerswetzer mod) I use the "planes on dive" and "planes on the rise" commands to go deep for ASW and level the boat out. The boat dives faster than just clicking on say 550'. The "crash dive" command only goes to approx 250' (depending on which game it is) and then without the planes command; a slow descent the rest of the way...

Maybe the modder's will mod manual planes. If not I am still very happy to see the return to the Pacific !!

Art

Sailor Steve
03-18-07, 04:32 PM
The inclusion of manual planes in PM was one of the reasons I stopped playing SHII/DC online. Trying to intercept U-boats while they were maneuvering like fighters just ruined it.

"Oh look: I can go from 200 meters to periscope depth in less than a minute!"

fastfed
03-18-07, 04:50 PM
I'm 99% sure it won't.

WHAT?!?!?!

LMFAO!!! If that's the case, why does the captain, use the TDC, check the radio,use the hydrophone, why does the captain shoot the deck gun and the flak guns??

LMAO!!

That's just a lame excuse ( not from you ) if that is what they really said.

it cost money to do those extra things, and all they care about is(obviously) making it

ijozic
03-19-07, 03:03 AM
LMFAO!!! If that's the case, why does the captain, use the TDC, check the radio,use the hydrophone, why does the captain shoot the deck gun and the flak guns??

Just what I wanted to say.. It really is a lame excuse. If they were just simulating the captain, the game would be more like an adventure game than simulation :) (something like Silent Steel, perhaps?)

joea
03-19-07, 06:09 AM

Just what I wanted to say.. It really is a lame excuse. If they were just simulating the captain, the game would be more like an adventure game than simulation :) (something like Silent Steel, perhaps?)

Good points, but I think that if they put them in there should be the same consequences of doing unrealistic or extreme dives or rising (ie. risking sinking or broaching) and to avoid "fighter plane" moves like Sailor Steve mentioned.

Prientje
03-19-07, 06:22 AM
The inclusion of manual planes in PM was one of the reasons I stopped playing SHII/DC online. Trying to intercept U-boats while they were maneuvering like fighters just ruined it.

"Oh look: I can go from 200 meters to periscope depth in less than a minute!"

yes its a shame....

thats the reason why a game can never be realistic, because much players are unable to play realistic !

The biggest problem in realistic play is most often the player and not every time the simulation !

think about it dear players...

aanker
03-20-07, 12:15 PM
The dives using PM for SH II and PA may have been a little exaggerated and although the dive procedure is the same there is a difference between a "Depth "x" feet" and an "Emergency "x" feet" dive.

The bow planes are on full dive and the stern planes control the angle of the dive.

Manual dive planes would not be out of order any more than manual TDC or the deck gun as someone else mentioned.

For more information see:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/chap18.htm ... also chapter 20 etc. ...

SteamWake
03-20-07, 12:19 PM
Hrm... sort of along the same lines how about being able to control the engines seperatly ?