PDA

View Full Version : Best submarine book???

fastfed
03-16-07, 12:18 PM
Besides 20,000 leages under the sea :)

I am looking for a good book with missions and stories that will make me feel like I am there ( Das boot type )

Are their any books like this that stand out from the rest?

non fiction would be great

elanaiba
03-16-07, 12:47 PM
Operation Drumbeat by Michael Gannon comes to mind...

Mush Martin
03-16-07, 12:48 PM
Undersea Victory by (d*mn I forgot)

MM

p.s. is d*mn an acceptable or an unacceptable word?

Oh well go with Hit em again harder or Find em chase em sink em the latter by uncle charlie himself.

flintlock
03-16-07, 12:56 PM
There are a few good suggestions within this (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94071) thread.

Donner
03-16-07, 01:07 PM
Undersea Victory by...

W.J. Holmes.

...Find em chase em sink em the latter by uncle charlie himself.

Find'Em Chase'Em Sink'Em is written by Mike Ostlund. The book you are referencing by Admiral Charles Lockwood is Sink 'Em All.

@fastfed...this thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=106845) also may be of help.

Ping Jockey
03-16-07, 01:11 PM
Sharks and Little Fish, Run Silent Run Deep,Operation Drumbeat.:up: :up:

Biggs[CV]
03-16-07, 02:28 PM
Combat Patrol

cpre5
03-16-07, 02:49 PM
Final Harbor and Silent Sea
writen by Harry Homewood who served on an S-boat then made eleven war patrols.

Really good books that help put you there, also you get to follow a few guys from the 1st book through the 2nd. I loved to read them while being pinged in SH1, adds a new feeling to the book/game.

fastfed
03-16-07, 03:44 PM
Looks like I am gonna get

More About Find 'Em, Chase 'Em, Sink 'Em

After reading some reviews on barnes and noble's site.

Thanks all

Sailor Steve
03-16-07, 04:14 PM
I've just finished Peter Padfield's War Beneath The Sea. If you want a highly readable account of ALL submarine battles - German, American, Japanese, British and even Italian - I recommend this one. It's informative and fun.

RaisinCain
03-16-07, 04:54 PM
My vote for number one would be "The Bravest Man" by William Tuohy. It centers on Wahoo, Tang, and Dick O'Kane, but covers the rest of the subfleet quite comprehensively.

Silent Victory is very good, but you need to have a working knowledge of subs and commanders in the Pacific theater prior to reading it to get the most out of it.

Submarine by beloved submariner Edward Beach is a great read, though written on a level perhaps aimed at a younger audience.

Wahoo and Clear the Bridge were both written by Richard O'Kane (a legend). Both good reads.

Unrestricted Warfare is a good book by James DeRose.

Thunder Below, written by Eugene Fluckey is a good read.

You will enjoy any of the above, but I really recommend The Bravest Man, Submarine, Silent Victory, and Unrestricted Warfare. Good luck and have fun!

Rykaird
03-16-07, 06:10 PM
I'm reading Iron Coffins right now, it's excellent.