View Full Version : Battlestations: Midway, review by Subsim

Onkel Neal
03-13-07, 09:00 PM
Target in sight!

Discussion and comments welcome here.

Neal

Onkel Neal
03-13-07, 09:56 PM
BATTLESTATIONS: MIDWAY review (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/battlestations_midway/review_battlestations_midway.php)

Battleships, subs, planes... even Bernard makes an appearance.

CCIP
03-13-07, 10:07 PM
Hey, look what I found :huh:

...do I win?

Very nice review Neal! I think it balances out a lot of the slogging and seemingly-causeless praising I've heard of the game. Still on the fence whether I'll check it out - maybe when I feel like blowing some things up without pressure!

Onkel Neal
03-13-07, 10:14 PM
Thanks, George. It was actually very enjoyable, easy to slip into for 30 minutes of fun. If it just had some kind of instant mission generator, it would have rocked.

Yes, you are winner #1. Nine more eagle-eyed skippers can join you... :ping: if they know what to look for.

good hunting!
Neal
Subsim

CCIP
03-13-07, 10:32 PM
Aww, now that's a real bummer actually. I love strategy games with generators or at least editors; I can't for the life of me understand why there's many games that forgo that now :( And especially naval games; even one of my favorites, Distant Guns (totally unrelated to this of course) bums me out sometimes because of its fairly limited generator.

That said, see if I can persuade my friends to do some multiplayer on it!... when any of us actually have time :dead:

And yea... discovery? Total accident. :p

Ubergeek87
03-13-07, 10:49 PM
Mmmm, Eggs.

I can't decide if I want this game or not. With such a bad replay value for single player it doesn't seem like its worth the money, and from what I recall from the multiplayer demo, the server browsing sucked. Oh well, i'll probably wait until I find it in a bargin bin somewhere.

Safe-Keeper
03-14-07, 12:49 AM
I'm not buying the game. It seems to arcade-like from your review, and Bernard makes me puke.

Yes, I found the egg:up:!

Dowly
03-14-07, 03:33 AM
Hehe, nice one, Neal. :)

Safe-Keeper
03-14-07, 07:40 PM
If no one else claim the rest of the eggs, can I have them:p?

Dowly
03-14-07, 07:45 PM
If no one else claim the rest of the eggs, can I have them:p?

I just checked mine and it says; Best Before: 21-07-62 :damn:

Curious142
03-15-07, 10:43 AM
Has anyone here tried Pacific Storm by CDV? I tried BS:M and didn't especially like it because of its arcadiness (and some other things). So I tried PS and kind of like it so far even though I haven't spent a whole lot of time on it yet. Maybe people who can't get into BS:M should try PS.

CB

Ubergeek87
03-15-07, 01:22 PM
Has anyone here tried Pacific Storm by CDV? I tried BS:M and didn't especially like it because of its arcadiness (and some other things). So I tried PS and kind of like it so far even though I haven't spent a whole lot of time on it yet. Maybe people who can't get into BS:M should try PS.

CB
I've heard some good things about PS, but never really looked into it. I just looked at their website for about 5 minutes and am now downloading the demo. If its as good as it looks, i guess i'm out another $40 :arrgh!:

BTW, Welcome to Subsim! :D

Onkel Neal
03-17-07, 10:49 AM
Welcome to Subsim, Curious and Ubergeek :yep:

Some intel for you: look over the BSM review carefully, there are secret prize links in there and some prizes still remain :smug:

Safe-Keeper
03-18-07, 01:56 AM
Some intel for you: look over the BSM review carefully, there are secret prize links in there and some prizes still remain :smug:Plural form?

Onkel Neal
03-18-07, 11:19 PM
Yes, possibly, but let me add one more time... I still have prizes to give out... don't be shy, people :arrgh!:

Battlestations: Midway review (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/battlestations_midway/review_battlestations_midway.php)

_

Seademon
03-31-07, 07:23 PM
I first became involved with this game in its development about the same time as Neal Stevens in 2003 when it was mithis games and i was the first i think post on the subsim board about it, which is lost in time. Eventually Eidos games ought them out and now they publish the game.
However, this game totally ROCKS. If you dont require a heavy naval simulations and want a fast paced, action gun running naval game then this is it!!. While realistically its not a simulation, it does have various aspects of intensive micromanagement to it that can be a driving test of your ability and skill.
1. Damage control maintenance
2. Weapons management
3. Command and strategy decisions and functions
4. Third person action direct involvement in combat.
5. Working as a team member
6. Giving and sending units to team members

This game is not for the feint at heart as its basically a duel to the death!! as there is no draw and no second place. Its war. Kill or be killed. Its highly addictive single player game or 8 player multiplayer that is reminiscent to me of the early adversarial days of 688 only it has ships subs and planes!!!

Neal Steavens pretty much says it all in his previous post, thank you Neal but compared to dangerous waters, dangerous waters is like watching paint dry.

This game is so good that Seawolves.org is testing for possible integration into their group and are currently seeking testers to join and be involved in the project.
You dont need the full game, even the multiplayer demo map "Battle of the Solomons" is ok as it encompasses ships, carriers, planes and dockyards. Sign up to the seawolves site at seawolves.org/svn or Contact me also on seademon688@yahoo.com.au if you would like to be in this group so we can give it the thumbs up for final implimentation.

hang tough

Safe-Keeper
04-07-07, 05:59 PM
I hate to be a pest, but will the prizes (hint, hint, people;)) be shipped before they're all uncovered, or do all of them have to be claimed?

Packerton
04-07-07, 11:14 PM
I found it!

(Its the Multiplayer lobby)

Bernard FTW!

Onkel Neal
04-07-07, 11:22 PM
I hate to be a pest, but will the prizes (hint, hint, people;)) be shipped before they're all uncovered, or do all of them have to be claimed?

They've been shipped, about 2 weeks agp.
Neal

Biggles
04-08-07, 05:17 AM
I bet I'm too late,but I found it.....shall I send my adress Neal? I could use a good price now...I missed my chance at the SH4 review by two bloody centimeters.....:damn:

Well, e-mail already sent....let's see what the future brings us.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!! I'm too late!!!!!!!!!!!!:damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

oh well....never mind then......

Dowly
04-08-07, 06:12 AM
They've been shipped, about 2 weeks agp.
Neal

Got mine on 04-02-2007. ;)

Safe-Keeper
04-10-07, 11:48 AM
Got it today, thank you very much:up:!