PDA

View Full Version : USS Drum..here I come!

Captain_Jack
03-12-07, 06:19 PM
I have to go to Alabama on business for a few days and of course had to schedule in a quick trip to the USS Drum (one of the first gato classes to see combat in WWII). I figure it will be a perfect way to get me in the mood for the upcoming release!

Will post pictures on return! :up:

Paajtor
03-12-07, 06:34 PM
Great, have fun :up:

Don't forget to take overviews of the exterior...might be interesting for skinners.:yep:

CaptJodan
03-12-07, 07:48 PM
I was there about 6 months ago. It was good to see her again (I've been ever since I was a little kid) but she doesn't look as good as she used to, at least in places. Her stern seems to have a large hole in it, and a few other places also have holes.

Sadly, that isn't the only problem. Most of the aircraft there were taken out by storm surge in the hurricanes (there's a great story of those who work there going aboard the Alabama for shelter from the hurricane. She lifted off the sand and began, once more, to creek and move! They're still working on that).

Enjoy yourself there. It's always a pleasure to see.

Gino
03-12-07, 10:42 PM
Try to get in the conning tower and get picturs of the TDC and stadimeter of the periscope. Gives you an idea when playing SH4.

groetjes,

Rip
03-12-07, 11:07 PM
I have to go to Alabama on business for a few days and of course had to schedule in a quick trip to the USS Drum (one of the first gato classes to see combat in WWII). I figure it will be a perfect way to get me in the mood for the upcoming release!

Will post pictures on return! :up:

Stopped of there with my oldest daughter last year. She couldn't understand why I was wasting so much time on the sub and not the battleship. I can't wait to sail on the Drum and tell her it is the one we toured. I suspect she will get a kick out of it. Wish I would have had a better camera with me. Guess I will just have to go again this summer:up:

OneTinSoldier
03-12-07, 11:19 PM
I look forward to hearing about your tour and seeing your pics. :cool: Enjoy!

Ducimus
03-13-07, 12:56 AM
USS drum in mobile alabama is the only WW2 diesalboat i ever had the pleasure to step foot on. She's dwarfed by the USS alabama next to her, but that sub to me was infinatly more interesting. My only regret was i didn't take a camera with me. I visited the boat when stationed in mississippi. Service members ( and i think vets too) have free admission! :up:

dean_acheson
03-13-07, 08:41 AM
Been on the Bowfin, the Drum, and the Clamagore....

Hope to take a vacation sometime and see the Batfish, the Cod, and the Cavalla... That would be a nice drive...

Mylander
03-13-07, 11:24 AM
If anyone is in the southeast, Charleston, SC to be specific, they have a great maritime museum at Patriot's Point in Mount Pleasant. They have Clamagore (Balao class SS) CV-10 Yorktown, and DD Laffey (picket DD hit by multiple bombs and Kamikazes off of Okinawa and made it back to the west coast under her own steam) "The ship that would not die".

Lots of cool aircraft on Yorktown - F4U, F4F, TBF, F6F, B-25 and others last time I was there. Well worth a day or a weekend!

Regards,
Mylander

Crosseye76
03-19-07, 01:16 AM
Any pics yet ?

Shaffer4
03-19-07, 01:33 AM
If anyone is in the southeast, Charleston, SC to be specific, they have a great maritime museum at Patriot's Point in Mount Pleasant. They have Clamagore (Balao class SS) CV-10 Yorktown, and DD Laffey (picket DD hit by multiple bombs and Kamikazes off of Okinawa and made it back to the west coast under her own steam) "The ship that would not die".

Lots of cool aircraft on Yorktown - F4U, F4F, TBF, F6F, B-25 and others last time I was there. Well worth a day or a weekend!

Regards,
Mylander
Saw all those when I visited my Dad (who is working in Aiken on projects for the Savannah River site ). Didn't get a chance to tour any of them as we did the Charleston Harbor River Cruise that evening. Had our Weekend there shortened due to my dad's on-going internal bleeding (which has since been fixed; Thin-walled artery in his I-T ). We went back the next weekend for the Sumpter Tour and checked out the H.L Hunley. I could have all kinds of fun back there. I also really wanted to go into that Vietnam Display, as it features a PBR much like the one my dad spent time on the Me Kong(sp) Delta during that war. (He started out as the Radioman, ended up the Turret Gunner :o )

I didn't recognize the Clamagore in her Guppy config though.

The_Rus
03-19-07, 02:50 AM
Seen them both but I like the Alabama more. :o Why, because it was way more interesting. :D I like subs but I like battleships more. I never get to see a South Dakota class BB. Plus I have only just got into subs. :rock: I really need to go back but I live like 7 hrs way.:down:

woofiedog
03-19-07, 07:53 AM
Will be looking forward to see your photo's of the USS Drum. :D

Captain_Jack
03-19-07, 03:23 PM
Pictures! You bet I have Pictures!

Here is the Link! One is a pic of my Dog, but you should be able to figure out the rest. :p

USS Drum Gato Class Sub...Now in Mobile, Alabama:

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/Burbus66/

Seth8530
03-19-07, 03:52 PM
Ive been onboard the battleship before and i must say WOW! I think the coolest thing about it was where you could be inside the ship underneath the turrets you could see the Giant column like thing lined with shells all the way up.