PDA

View Full Version : A family outting in a helicopter...

SUBMAN1
03-10-07, 05:06 PM
This looks like fun!

-S

http://embed.break.com/MjQ0NjY2

STEED
03-10-07, 05:15 PM
Bloody hell. :o

ASWnut101
03-10-07, 05:47 PM
Fools. That's what happens when you leave the tail teathered to the ground and try to take off.:roll: Atleast, that's what it looks like. The ropes come with little flags that say "remove before flight."

fatty
03-10-07, 09:24 PM
Fools. That's what happens when you leave the tail teathered to the ground and try to take off.:roll: Atleast, that's what it looks like. The ropes come with little flags that say "remove before flight."

Looks to me like the rotor clipped something. I can't see any teather.

Amusing side note: I have a red t-shirt that says "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT."

EDIT: Yep, they show some damage to the hangar roof at 01:37. I suspect that's what the rotors clipped.

STEED
03-11-07, 08:10 AM
It's looks like two of the blades snapped off when you pause it.

Kpt. Kozloff
03-11-07, 08:24 AM
Insane clip... The guy who was filming it had so much luck he didn't get killed!:huh:

Syxx_Killer
03-11-07, 08:28 AM
Holy hell. :o:o

SUBMAN1
03-11-07, 12:55 PM

EDIT: Yep, they show some damage to the hangar roof at 01:37. I suspect that's what the rotors clipped.
The damage to the hanger roof is caused by flying rotor blades 'after' they seperated from the helo (laws of physics). That guy filming is damn lucky he didn't get killed!

Anyway, what you have here is pretty much a clear case of structural failure at the point of the rotor boom. Scary since this could have happened at 2000 feet and no one would have survived, let alone possibly killing someone on the ground too.

-S

fatty
03-11-07, 01:31 PM

The damage to the hanger roof is caused by flying rotor blades 'after' they seperated from the helo (laws of physics). That guy filming is damn lucky he didn't get killed!

Anyway, what you have here is pretty much a clear case of structural failure at the point of the rotor boom. Scary since this could have happened at 2000 feet and no one would have survived, let alone possibly killing someone on the ground too.

-S

I must disagree. If you are talking about the tail boom, it seems to remain attached until the helo rocks to the left, pitches up, loses altitude, and lands on it breaking it off.

I've just noticed as well that the name of this video is "Helicopter Whacks Hanger on Takeoff"

ASWnut101
03-11-07, 02:29 PM
But the helo wasn't even near the hangar. Look at the way it broke up. Something pulled on the tail boom, it seemed to break off, and peices flew at the cameraman, who had to look behind him to see the hangar.

ASWnut101
03-11-07, 02:35 PM
I revise my last comments. I got the helo in a frame which clearly shows the rotorblades departing the aircraft. It's at timemark: 1:05. The rotors seemed to break right off, flinging the aircraft backwards. Someone tell me how to take a screenshot and where to find it, and I'll show you.

SUBMAN1
03-11-07, 03:15 PM
i think what is said above is partially correct. The rotor blades seperated first before the boom went. But still, he was no where near the hanger, so this is a case then of rotor failure - which can happen to any helo.

-S

fatty
03-11-07, 03:26 PM
I revise my last comments. I got the helo in a frame which clearly shows the rotorblades departing the aircraft. It's at timemark: 1:05. The rotors seemed to break right off, flinging the aircraft backwards. Someone tell me how to take a screenshot and where to find it, and I'll show you.

My knowledge of physics is vague (read: non-existant) but I imagine the backwards fling you note is Newton's law of reciprocal actions. The rotor(s) smacking against the edge of the hangar caused the helo to violently bank away from it.

i think what is said above is partially correct. The rotor blades seperated first before the boom went. But still, he was no where near the hanger, so this is a case then of rotor failure - which can happen to any helo.

-S

The helo starts out kind of far (I would estimate ~30 feet) but it banks towards the hangar right after liftoff.

Sulikate
03-11-07, 03:32 PM
OMG holly **** thats some crazy "flying"

SUBMAN1
03-11-07, 03:38 PM
The helo starts out kind of far (I would estimate ~30 feet) but it banks towards the hangar right after liftoff.

From what I can see - it doesn't bank anywhere. It lifted straight up.

-S

Spoon 11th
03-11-07, 04:48 PM
Here's the brief of accident:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CHI04LA212&rpt=fi

bradclark1
03-11-07, 04:55 PM
His insurance is going to skyrocket!

ASWnut101
03-11-07, 05:32 PM
Hmm, the NTSB report seems good, but I still don't buy all of it. I've been looking at the blades departing the aircraft, and they seem to break, and then be flung into the door, not striking the door directly. You'd think the pilot with over 5,000 hours of time would double-check his distance to the door before taking off, especially that close. Closer look at the blades showed me that where they broke dosent seem to coorespond with the door impact...:hmm:

SUBMAN1
03-11-07, 09:52 PM
Here's the brief of accident:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CHI04LA212&rpt=fi

Wow! An open hanger extending out towards the ramp? Well, that is what happened i guess. Nice.

-S

GSpector
03-11-07, 11:50 PM
Interesting how the pilot claims that the passenger bumped the control causing the helicopter to drift towards the hanger yet I saw no drift and neither did the NTSB.

This pilot had no time to realize he had a problem let alone correct it. By the time he realized he had a problem, he was already on the ground wondering which way he was looking and what just happened :doh:. I don't believe any pilot is as fast as he claimed to be. He and his crew just needed to more careful and this would not have happened.

Also, the damage to the door was minor compared to what it would have looked like if any blade broke off prior to hitting the door. Looks like the door was scraped by the blades. This of course would cause the energy in the blades to be displaced and forcing the tail to hit the ground 1st (I believe fatty was correct in quoting Newton) this would then cause any remaining blades (or all) to make contact with tail section shearing it off.

Camaero
03-12-07, 01:56 PM
"God dang, son of a bitch!" Seems to some that up pretty good.:doh:

AVGWarhawk
03-12-07, 02:32 PM
I do not believe the claim of passenger touching a control making the helicopter move to the right. Looks like blade failure to me.

ASWnut101
03-12-07, 02:37 PM
Same here. See how far the cameraman had to run to get to the chopper? The R-44/22's blades aren't that long.

GSpector
03-13-07, 12:41 AM
If a blade had failed, wouldn't the helicopter quickly rotate in the opposite direction of rotation to compensate for the release of energy as well as roll due to the sudden change in weight and lift? :hmm:

The Helicopter pitched back (not up) which is what I would expect it to do if the blade came in contact with something on the right side due to the sudden decrease in speed. It would have pitched down (forward) if it had hit on the left side.

Linton
03-13-07, 04:22 AM
My 2d worth: rotor hits hangar door and blade cuts off tail boom.Pilot blamed a passenger for the drift into the door.I saw a similar thing on an s-61 .Robinson do not have the world'd best safety record.If I was offered a flight in one I would decline.