PDA

View Full Version : Where is the beer ?????

Tigrone
03-10-07, 04:34 PM
Sorry guys, for the uninitiated, US boats are dry. I've seen a few posts about: without the skipper's cabin where does the beer go? It don't go anywhere. The wardroom is dry, and the crew's mess is dry. There is no rum ration.

Those of you intending to play at 100% realism may want to reconsider. These will be very long patrols, and you could be out one or 2 months at a time.:yep:

flyingdane
03-10-07, 04:44 PM
He he... lol :rotfl:

NefariousKoel
03-10-07, 04:49 PM
Where is the beer ?????

It's in my belly.

Morts
03-10-07, 05:31 PM
Where is the beer ?????

It's in my belly.

get in ma belly http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/morty-dk/Fat_bastard.jpg:rotfl:

NEON DEON
03-10-07, 06:38 PM
On the Barb, It went in the officers shower.:p

So lets sink ships quick so we dont have a bunch of stinky officers.:D

boatfull
03-10-07, 06:39 PM
Well we couldn't import it from germany.;)

Crosseye76
03-10-07, 07:23 PM
U.S. boats generally had a bit of whisky or brandy on board for "Medical" purposes.

Teho
03-10-07, 07:48 PM
Where is the beer ?????
It's in my belly.

get in ma belly http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/morty-dk/Fat_bastard.jpg:rotfl:

Beeby. White meat!

hyperion2206
03-10-07, 08:14 PM
Sorry guys, for the uninitiated, US boats are dry. I've seen a few posts about: without the skipper's cabin where does the beer go? It don't go anywhere. The wardroom is dry, and the crew's mess is dry. There is no rum ration.

Those of you intending to play at 100% realism may want to reconsider. These will be very long patrols, and you could be out one or 2 months at a time.:yep:

We may not have beer but we'll have an ice cream machine!:D Oh no,we don't.... it was located in one of the engine rooms (which are not modeled).:cry::rotfl:

vonBimmell
03-10-07, 11:24 PM
We need to have some Canadian boats. The 2 stern tubes in the old O boats were always filled with beer. We were allowed to have one or two cans when we came off watch.

geetrue
03-10-07, 11:25 PM
This was twenty years after WWII, but I have personally seen the torpedomen take cleaning alcohol, the same fluid that we used to clean the decks and the torpedo's with, slow filter it through a loaf of bread to take out the dangerous impurties and then ferment it in a can of grape juice.

They set it in the corner of the fwd torpedo room, we only had one on the USS Salmon SS-573, but we always called it that from old habits. They stored it right next to the sonar stacks that got very hot.

I never tasted it (I was only 19 and didn't want to get into trouble), but it was a real special treat for these men.

Several years later I was transfered to a FBM (boomer) submarine and I saw things you wouldn't believe. Grown men having to sober up for a 90 day patrol, well we only spent maybe 80 days at sea, the rest was in port up-keep.

It was really something to see them change from bar type of people with red skin faces to I guess you would call them normal type of people with healthy faces, but no one who goes to sea for that long is normal.

Every patrol we knew how long we would be out and like clock work we would come back and rotate with the other crew. So we could pre-figure when half day was. Half-day parties were some of the best times we had. I was the MC for one party and the chief of the boat brought a single bottle of Miller High Life to auction off for the half way party. I started the bidding at $2.00 ... I was standing right in front of the captain, who would graciously attend our parties in the crews mess.

Three guys got together to out bid the other bids and by the time it was over the crews recreation fund had $23 donated for one bottle of beer. They then opened it right in front of everyone and shared it giggling all the way. The captain couldn't stop laughing. You see the crew had also spiked the punch and the captain kept reaching over to refill his cup from one of those big spray juice machines (you've seen them) like the ones at AM/PM etc. We called them bug spray machines, because if a bug got caught in one it just kept getting recycled. lol

Just one small problem, someone kept pouring Vodka in the darn thing and melted the little plastic ball that cycled the stuff ...

Oh yeah we had fun ... and those are just two stories ... :lol:

Tigrone
03-11-07, 01:23 AM
"This was twenty years after WWII, but I have personally seen the torpedomen take cleaning alcohol, the same fluid that we used to clean the decks and the torpedo's with, slow filter it through a loaf of bread to take out the dangerous impurties and then ferment it in a can of grape juice."

Guilty pleasures are all the more pleasurable. I've enountered a few strange (vodka injected) oranges in my time. The only rules that matter are ones the skipper enforces, and those are not broken.

Crosseye76
03-11-07, 01:26 AM
"This was twenty years after WWII, but I have personally seen the torpedomen take cleaning alcohol, the same fluid that we used to clean the decks and the torpedo's with, slow filter it through a loaf of bread to take out the dangerous impurties and then ferment it in a can of grape juice."

Guilty pleasures are all the more pleasurable. I've enountered a few strange (vodka injected) oranges in my time. The only rules that matter are ones the skipper enforces, and those are not broken.

Brings back fond memories....... :hmm:

sunvalleyslim
03-11-07, 01:23 PM
I had two different Capt.s while on the USS Segundo SS-398, The first Skipper liked wine. On one particular cruise he brought a few cases of wine on board. Half way through the patrol we had a spaghetti dinner and all on aboard had a glass of red wine. Compliments of the Capt. Of course a proper toast and hearty cheer of "DBF", (DIESEL BOATS FOREVER} resounded through the Boat.
The 1969 WESTPAC brought us a new Capt and a man who enjoyed going ashore and tipping a few. One memory is standing topside watch in port, and seeing the Shore Patrol bringing the Capt. back to the Boat. They had picked him for being drunk and disorderly. They dropped him off, we called the XO up, he came topside talked to Capt. for a second and they took off together, walking back to town right behind the SP's. Later during the patrol we stopped in Auckland, New Zealand for a few days of liberty. Before heading out the Capt. said he wanted to have a swim call sometime during our patrol. He also wanted a steak fry up on the deck. So we went ashore and acquired several cases of Foster's Lager. You should have seen the look on the Surface Skimmers faces has we hauled the beer across their Destroyers deck, down our gang plank and down into the Boat. They couldn't believe it. Later during the patrol, we stopped in the middle of the South Pacific. had a swim call in the most beautiful water. You could look down underwater and see the whole Boat, stem to stern. During the Bar-B-Q topside every one was allotted two beers. Of course everyone was trying to get the non drinkers allottment for themselves.....Another hearty cheer went up for "DBF", none of us ever wanted to go to a nuke boat.................:up: :up:

Fat Bhoy Tim
03-11-07, 01:42 PM
Where is the beer ?????
It's in my belly.

How did you manage to hack into my family album? :shifty:

Morts
03-11-07, 02:20 PM
Where is the beer ?????
It's in my belly.

How did you manage to hack into my family album? :shifty:
i didn:rotfl:
i just searched on your name:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

bookworm_020
03-11-07, 09:55 PM
I had two different Capt.s while on the USS Segundo SS-398, The first Skipper liked wine. On one particular cruise he brought a few cases of wine on board. Half way through the patrol we had a spaghetti dinner and all on aboard had a glass of red wine. Compliments of the Capt. Of course a proper toast and hearty cheer of "DBF", (DIESEL BOATS FOREVER} resounded through the Boat.
The 1969 WESTPAC brought us a new Capt and a man who enjoyed going ashore and tipping a few. One memory is standing topside watch in port, and seeing the Shore Patrol bringing the Capt. back to the Boat. They had picked him for being drunk and disorderly. They dropped him off, we called the XO up, he came topside talked to Capt. for a second and they took off together, walking back to town right behind the SP's. Later during the patrol we stopped in Auckland, New Zealand for a few days of liberty. Before heading out the Capt. said he wanted to have a swim call sometime during our patrol. He also wanted a steak fry up on the deck. So we went ashore and acquired several cases of Foster's Lager. You should have seen the look on the Surface Skimmers faces has we hauled the beer across their Destroyers deck, down our gang plank and down into the Boat. They couldn't believe it. Later during the patrol, we stopped in the middle of the South Pacific. had a swim call in the most beautiful water. You could look down underwater and see the whole Boat, stem to stern. During the Bar-B-Q topside every one was allotted two beers. Of course everyone was trying to get the non drinkers allottment for themselves.....Another hearty cheer went up for "DBF", none of us ever wanted to go to a nuke boat.................:up: :up:

The Australian Navy does the same. Except booze is allowed, so less of a problem. I have heard of a story of an Australian Sub that had finished an exercise in the Pacific, that surfaced in the middle of nowhere, Brought the BBQ out on deck and cracked open a couple of tinnies.

They floated along for most of the day. Alot of fun had by all...

vonBimmell talked about the O class boats that they had, and storing beer in the aft tubes. The Aussies did the same thing (so did the brits as well?) as the tubes were two small to take modern torpedos.

vonBimmell
03-12-07, 12:05 AM
We did much the same after excercising in the Med. We would surface, and haul out our half of a 45 gal drum BBQ which was lashed under the casing. Then we would BBQ steaks, and have some wine and beer. I think that is a Commonwealth submarine tradition. We used to have 4 Aussie exchange submariners with us. Great bunch of guys!

Threadfin
03-12-07, 10:09 AM

The books I've read indicate otherwise. Most seemed to have 'depth charge medicine', and as someone mentioned the Barb would take several cases of beer on patrol. It's been a while since I read Fluckey's book, but in it I believe he recants how when they were trying to sneak some on at Midway, he found that there was no need to sneak it, it was perfectly OK even by regulations. I may be mixing up my books, and it wasn't Barb, but US boats weren't exactly dry during WW2.

I-25
03-12-07, 01:57 PM
a war vet i know that was on LCI-455 in WW2 told me a story about distilling rum out of pineapple. the fermenter jar's vent got plugged with a rasing and POWWW went assembly. the capitan unaware of the "buissnes" tought they had got torpedoed:rotfl:

Tigrone
03-12-07, 02:24 PM
"... he found that there was no need to sneak it, it was perfectly OK even by regulations. I may be mixing up my books, and it wasn't Barb, but US boats weren't exactly dry during WW2."

General Order 99, effective 1 July 1914

"The use or introduction for drinking purposes of alcoholic liquors on board any naval vessel, or within any navy yard or station, is strictly prohibited, and commanding officers will be held directly responsible for the enforcement of this order."JOSEPHUS DANIELS

Secretary of the Navy

But, boys will be boys. A skipper was always placing a lot of trust in his crew when he chose to violate a standing order. To share a beer or a glass of wine halfway through a patrol was a big deal.

b1bmsgt
03-12-07, 11:39 PM
Initially Fluckey did sneak the beer aboard Barb and stowed it in the officers shower. Sometime later he found out that they were authorized to carry a certain amount of beer aboard for the purposes of ships picnics. Fluckey would have a couple of cases placed in the cooler prior to an attack and, if (when) the attack was successful, the crew would celebrate with the beer, as well as with a cake baked especially for the occasion.

You guys really should read Fluckey's book, "Thunder Below". An amazing story.

Russ

joea
03-13-07, 05:32 AM
Raisin jack:

http://www.ussvance.com/Vance/htm/rajack.htm

Meanwhile, back on the Vance: (During Barrier Patrol) We had a Second Class Engineman, named McCaffrey, who was brewing his own *Private Reserve* Raisin Jack in the Forward Engineroom, (#1 Engineroom) (Yes, Brian's very same engineroom). Anyway, McCaffery kept bragging to everyone that his brew would be ready for drinking in about one week. We all knew in advance that he wasn't going to share any of his Raisin jack, so we decided to do the following: We drilled holes through the top of the locked heavy metal spare parts box that he had his brew in. Then we punched holes into the tops of his brew containers, (glass gallon syrup jugs) stuck rubber tubing into the containers and took turns sucking them all dry!. Then we plugged the drilled holes with electrician's Temp-Seal and repainted the box covers machinery grey. When the long awaited day came when McCaffery went down to sample his Raisin Jack, all he found was a couple of handfuls of moldy raisins in each bottle! He was so angry that he stormed into the wardroom with one of those empty one gallon containers as evidence at about 1730 hours and voiced his complaint to the Captain, X.O., and Engineering Officer that "Some Dirty Bastards had drank all of his Raisin Jack!" Needless to say, the Skipper was kinda upset and ordered the Engineering Officer to make an inspection of all engineering spaces looking for more home brew!

http://www.de220.com/Machinery/machinery.htm

One more piece of trivia: Alcohol is not permitted on USN vessels, so sailors used to ferment their own. Unfortunately for them, the smell released during fermentation was easily recognized and their secret "stash" was usually discovered by the officers. On a small ship it was especially hard to hide their fermenting "raisin jack." One crewman told me he successfully made hundreds of gallons of raisin jack in the forced air intakes during his six-year hitch. He correctly figured the forced air blowers sucked all the smell into the boiler and burned it. He never got caught.

:()1:

Threadfin
03-13-07, 08:33 AM
Initially Fluckey did sneak the beer aboard Barb and stowed it in the officers shower. Sometime later he found out that they were authorized to carry a certain amount of beer aboard for the purposes of ships picnics. Fluckey would have a couple of cases placed in the cooler prior to an attack and, if (when) the attack was successful, the crew would celebrate with the beer, as well as with a cake baked especially for the occasion.

Right, that's what I was referring to, thanks.

And then there was always torpedo juice.