PDA

View Full Version : what is ....

Kapitan
03-07-07, 06:13 PM
The fastest you have ever taken your car on a test track or main road?

So far ive been naughty and ive taken my 1.5 turbo diesel megane to 122mph on the M25.

On a test track my dad got his modified vittesse twin turbo sport 2.7ltr V6 to 178.8 mph

Note i dont normaly drive at these speeds on main roads nor in or around built up areas, i dont recomend anyone to try driving at high speed just to post here to say yeah i done this so please dont if you done it in the past please post.

Mush Martin
03-08-07, 05:49 AM
dude no offence but keep it on the track.

speaking as a professional driver my life and
the welfare of my family depend on it.

keeping it off of the main roads

should be keeping it off of the roads

Kudos to your dad.

shame on you.

MM

geetrue
03-08-07, 08:12 AM
Yes, do drive safe ... public highway's are not to display your desire to injure yourself or someone else in the progress ... with that said I will relate my tales of old, before I became of age of course.

I purchased a 1965 Shelby GT-350 for the sum of $2,600 from a Ford dealership in Portland, Maine back in 1966. She only had a few miles on her due to belonging to the owner's son. He got mad at his son and took it away from him and put it up for sale on the car lot. The car lot I just happened to be driving by at the time.

Only 22 years old and I had always wanted a street rod. She came stock with a Detroit locker rear-end and headers with exhaust that came out right before the rear tires. No back seat, just a fiberglass shell back there.

Only 289 cubic inches, putting out 305 hp ... I went down to Boston to show it off and drove back to Portland via the gated turnpike ... what I didn't know is that they time your entrance and stamp it on your card when you exit.

I got a ticket in the mail saying that there was no way I could have made that trip in less than 50 minutes without speeding. I never paid it, but my tach said 6,500 rpm in 4th gear and the dashboard odometer was over 120 mph. I had a not so bright blond teenage girl riding with me and I said, "How about that" She looks at the big tach in the middle of the dash that said 6,500 rpm and said, "Your only going 65"

Those days are gone, but the memories will linger on ... it's not worth finding out what happens after you die ... stay under 70 mph on the freeway and always check your rear for someone else coming up on you too fast.

Letum
03-08-07, 10:56 AM
:down: It's despicable and reckless to play with other peoples lives like that Kapitan.

Both my local airports have "Bring your own" drag racing days. It's only £6 per run and it's a lot of fun. I got my Honda NC30 400cc motorbike up to 140mph on my speedo, but the speed gun clocked me at 129mph as all speedos are deliberately inaccurate.
(the bike has a top speed of ~143mph unmodded)

I-25
03-08-07, 11:03 AM
i'v been up to 110Mph in a 2.2 Lt souped up VW bug, but on the dirt:yep: bumpy ride

Oberon
03-08-07, 11:44 AM
I got my bicycle to 25mph once...does that count? :lol:

Kapitan_Phillips
03-08-07, 12:31 PM
I got my hearse to a good 50 mph. Which is, on the gear display "Bereave and Leave"

bradclark1
03-08-07, 12:38 PM
When I was young and dumb I did 110 mph in a 10 year old 69 Buick Electra 225 with floor pedal still left but running out of road.
As a responsible upstanding citizen with a mini-van I don't do that stuff anymore.

SUBMAN1
03-08-07, 12:47 PM
The fastest you have ever taken your car on a test track or main road?

So far ive been naughty and ive taken my 1.5 turbo diesel megane to 122mph on the M25.

On a test track my dad got his modified vittesse twin turbo sport 2.7ltr V6 to 178.8 mph

Note i dont normaly drive at these speeds on main roads nor in or around built up areas, i dont recomend anyone to try driving at high speed just to post here to say yeah i done this so please dont if you done it in the past please post.
Amazing you got your diesel to that speed. Wow.

Anyway, I hope you found a stretch of road away from both cars and people to do your test. I don't mind if people go as fast as they want on the freeway as long as they follow some common sense. The problem is, I am beginning to think that most people lack common sense these days. The one big thing common sense wise that people mess up is (or should I say my biggest pet peeve about speeders is), they overtake me at over 20 MPH faster than I am going in the adjecent lane! I don't care if they are doing 100 MPH - that is fine - just don't pass me doing that in the lane directly next to me since I can't tell they are doing 100 MPH!!! This is how accidents happen - I may change a lane and get run over.

I guess this is why we have laws like we do because of people like I describe above - they don't think, so the state has to thnk for them. Welcome to modern society.

Now that I am compeltely off subject - back on it - what did your grandfather do to get his car up to that speed? That is amazing since anything on the other side of 160 is near impossible to achieve. I am considering a Caddilac CTS-V as my next car that will see the other side of 160, but even that still takes 400 hp to get there.

-S

AVGWarhawk
03-08-07, 01:00 PM
Fastest I have gone is 152mph but this was at a dragstrip in a corvette built to do it!! 468CID/Tunnel Ram/2 850 double pumper Holley Carbs. This motor wrapped in glass and chrom-molly frame and 4 link rear. I would never consider doing driving like this on the road:nope:.

Kapitan
03-09-07, 10:08 AM
I dont regularly speed its only when i can see theres nothing at all in front of me cars or people, when i do put my foot down its generaly on a motor way where theres no padestrians around (illigal to walk on a motor way).

I dont speed if i have people in the car and i dont speed if theres a fair bit of traffic around if i crash then its my own fault and i have to deal with it thats accepted.

Plus i only speed late at night when the roads are pretty dead its only the lorries that are around on the M11 and M25 a few cars but not many if i hit one of them its no problemto them i will bounce off.

When it comes to a built up area i get a bit funny and try not to go over 30 if im near a school and its a 30 limit then i plod along at 25.

As for a diesel its a 1500cc 1.5 turbo diesel 6 speed, it can out do the 1.6 petrol version easily! (1.6 petrol top speed around 105).