PDA

View Full Version : Question about using combination of manual and auto targeting

letterboy1
03-07-07, 11:20 AM
I've started to play around with this but I'm not sure of what I'm doing yet.

Let's say I want to go to F6 for the manual targeting set-up but all I want is to set up a spread and choose magnetic pistol setting and then put it back to auto (by choosing "Off" on the manual toggle switch). Is SH3 actually using the manual settings I changed and doing everything else automatically for me?

Heibges
03-07-07, 12:45 PM
I believe you can set up Spread and Combat Pistol options in both Manual and Auto.

I think Auto only effects the firing solution?

Steppenwolf
03-07-07, 12:47 PM
You don't have to toggle from manual to automatic to use the features you are referring to. You can change the torpedo speed, choose magnetic or impact, set a running depth and do a salvo/set a spread ALL on just the automatic setting. Yes, SH3 will use the settings you changed and do everything else for you automatically.

The Manual toggle is for when you want to start doing Angle on Bow, Range, Bearing and Target Speed yourself.

letterboy1
03-07-07, 12:56 PM
Thanks! One more question though . . . when I go into the F6 screen, what is the default? Is it on manual or auto? I can't remember if the switch means Manual is On/Off or Automatic is On/Off.

Rykaird
03-07-07, 01:50 PM
Default is auto in my setup.

It is a bit hard to tell just from the toggle switch light. However - you can't adjust AoB for example when it is in auto - the dial is literally locked. Also the dials will be more brightly lit when in manual.

letterboy1
03-07-07, 02:20 PM
Thanks Rykaird. I also happen to have SH3 on this laptop at work and went in to find exactly what you described. I tried things out in a single mission (Happy Times) and I must say, this opens a whole new world for me. To me it's a very happy medium for my gameplay style. Hopefully these particular details carry over to SH4 . . . one more week! :D

Rykaird
03-07-07, 04:58 PM
May I suggest you also consult http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/

As you migrate up the realism chain, The "Fast 90" method outlined in the excellent guide linked above is the easiest entry point into full manual torpedo targeting. You don't have to calculate AoB or anything complicated - it allows essentially a blend of manual targeting and "point and shoot." It's a lot of fun and deadly accurate.

Telling my WO to go peel spuds and doing the manual targeting myself really made the game a lot more fun for me.

Good hunting, Herr Kaleun!