PDA

View Full Version : what makes SH3 such a great game

leeclose
03-06-07, 09:28 AM
Ok folks what is it about SH3 that makes you play it day in and day out what aspect of it is the thing that makes it the one game you have played for the last 3 years whats your turn offs as well?:hmm:

Dimitrius07
03-06-07, 09:42 AM
Well i personaly like games about the WW2. When i first put my hands on sh3 that was my second simulator game (i never played subsims before) and i liked the game, but the stock game became a little bit boring affter 2 month. Then i found thise awesome website, i remember when the GW 1.0 is came out and how the game became very interesting to play.

Well i think the big mods like NYGM and GWX the resons why i still playing the game and enjoy it :ping: ;)

Kumando
03-06-07, 09:49 AM
I always liked modern submarines, and one day i got Silent hunter II and it got me hooked up since the begining, i think mainly the technological limitations in comparision with modern subs wich make the game far more challeging. Then later i got Sh3 and recently the GWX mod and the game is even better since:rock:

Brag
03-06-07, 09:53 AM
Stock SH3 is pretty good. It took me a year to reach the beginning of 1943. That's when I downloaded GWX. GWX is challenging and it gives you the psychological feel for the time period.

You no longer have the leasure of leaving your scope up for minutes during a daytime convoy attack or travelling inside a convoy while reloading torpedoes.

There is little room for errors and every patrol is very different. The random factors approach real life short of the computer blowing up in your face. :dead:

ParaB
03-06-07, 09:59 AM
The campaign.

You never know what will happen after you leave port. Perhaps a Sunderland surprises you, heavily damaging your boat, forcing you to limp back to base after three days at sea. You might also come across a naval task force with a battleship or an aircraft carrier. You might sail through a three-week storm with no chance for attacks. You might encounter a fat convoy or a hunter-killer group. You could sneak into a harbour only to find some tug boats and a destroyer. Or find a large troop transport and several cruisers inside.

That's what makes SH3 such a great game for me.

leet657
03-06-07, 10:23 AM
I like all aspects of the game, certainly the mods have helped. I must admit that I found the game a bit boring originally, until that is I started to take things into manual. Now with the added bonus of actually having names of ships sunk, better graphics and a forum where you can answers to most things very quickly all helps to round off the game.

Iron Budokan
03-06-07, 10:26 AM
Replayability. :up:

Linavitch
03-06-07, 10:34 AM
You guys:up:

melnibonian
03-06-07, 10:36 AM
What makes SH3 such a great game? :hmm:

I know......GWX and SubSim :yep: :D :up:

uniquemind
03-06-07, 10:41 AM
The same for me, I am heavily into WW2 games of any sort, but as I love the Sea in general I had to get these sims, that coupled with the great forum here and very helpful people for a change you can't go wrong.

It does'nt get much better than that :D

Games that have replayability are the best you can get, the interest never dies.

Not forgetting GWX, not tried the other mods as yet

UM onboard the U-100 :)

Jard
03-06-07, 11:11 AM
Well, for me it's several things.

The challenge - it's replayable because the AI provides a challenge, and one that increases as the war goes on.

The graphics - I can't think of many games I have played where I have got such simple pleasure from watching my boat slip through the waves. Moonlight, dawn, dusk, thunderstorms all add to this.

The atmosphere - it's a great game for role play and immersion. It's a game you dream about after you've finished playing it. You actually care about the fate of your kapleuns, and about your crew.

The mods - everything I have mentioned is enhanced hugely by the mods, especially GWX and SH3Commander in my opinion.

Finally....he community - there is a good cameraderie around here and a lack of elitism. I think it's because we all know what it takes to pull off a good kill or a big patrol, and also what it feels like to be on the receiving end of Tommy destroyers.

Mooncatt
03-06-07, 11:15 AM
ive been into pretty much all kind of simulators. i first started with silent service on the c64 which was brill :rock: then went on to flight sims e.g f-16 combat pilot on the c64. played pretty much everything since then on various machines, so its the kind of thing im into. what i like about sh3 GWX is if you play 100%realism its the feeling of the unknown i.e you know theres a DD but not quite sure where if you get my meaning. also the immersion graphics and its ability to glue you to the game itself thats what does it for me.

ReallyDedPoet
03-06-07, 11:46 AM
Dynamic Campaign and the realism settings:up:

stuntcow
03-06-07, 12:33 PM
Have played Sub sims since they started on the pc in the 80's. They seem to get better as time goes by letting you do more and more.

When you add that to the sub sim communities, forums and downloads(add-ons, expansions, mods), it is great to be part of it.

gasparweb
03-06-07, 01:02 PM
From the early days of Silent Service and UP Periscope on the dusty Commodore 64 the subsims are the definitive "man against machine" games for me.

But, in most cases, (i.e. Silent Hunter I) the game turns in a "repetitive movie" with interactive options...

Now, SH3 + GWX (of course:rock: ) campaign immerse the player in a almost unpredictable sea.

However THE reason by which I continue playing SH3 is the community! Every day i got new tactics, tips, and subjects to discuss with my friends!

Long life to SH3+GWX, still with Sh4!:arrgh!:

leeclose
03-06-07, 01:44 PM
Well i was going to say why i like it but you guys pretty much cited all the reasons that i like it but a big one for me is the community here at subsim its like having family fair winds people and happy hunting:up:

robbo180265
03-06-07, 01:49 PM

You stole my thunder! Exactly what I was going to say.
I'll just add that I'm interested in all aspects of WWII, I used to play a lot of CFS3 (aircraft are my big love). Also the fact that every patrol is different. Something you get away with once, may kill you later. That's what makes me come back for more.

leeclose
03-06-07, 01:55 PM
Yup thats one great aspect of 3 that i like the DD you kil one time may kill you next time definatly an allure of 3 for many the variability:up:

Mooncatt
03-06-07, 02:01 PM
yeah but thats gonna happen anymore is it leeclose:hmm: hehehehe

leeclose
03-06-07, 02:05 PM
First of call me Lee and yeah good point Moon:up:

STEED
03-06-07, 02:12 PM

Got my vote. :rock:

Rykaird
03-06-07, 02:17 PM
(I have GWX and SH3 Commander, plus an awesome Fubar skin, otherwise no other mods).

The game combines a lot of elements very successfully. In particular I'm impressed with the fact that this is a great RPG along with a sim and an action game. I really feel like a Kaleun. I have to make decisions that are about the actual tactical situation and not about just tricking the computer.

I like the fact that it gets harder as time goes by, not easier. The conversion from hunter to hunted feels very real.

I love the fact that this is a game of finesse. I can't brute force anything. I have to be smarter, or I die.

Lastly, this is the nicest, most helpful community I've ever seen in the game world. Can you imagine for a moment how awful the experience of SH3 would be if we had a WoW-style community?

Pevs86
03-06-07, 02:25 PM
I bought it not expecting much, I'm a big WWII fan - and I love it.

You can spend an hour chasing a convoy, and just as you get there things can change in an instant - you have to evolve with what the game throws at you and overcome many obstacles to achieve any result, constantly you're faced with decisions that could end your game.

I get attached to my boat and my crew, I feel bad when I can't provide them with tonnage and medals, I get angry when someone tries to kill them - I make mistakes, I get lucky, and I'm STILL learning, with SHIV just around the corner.

Having said that, GWX reinvented the game for me, it had gotten abit stale but now... I may even delay installing SHIV *shock horror*

leeclose
03-06-07, 04:37 PM
Lastly, this is the nicest, most helpful community I've ever seen in the game world. Can you imagine for a moment how awful the experience of SH3 would be if we had a WoW-style community? Oh by the gods that dont even bare thinking about:huh:

Pevs86
03-06-07, 05:10 PM
Lastly, this is the nicest, most helpful community I've ever seen in the game world. Can you imagine for a moment how awful the experience of SH3 would be if we had a WoW-style community? Oh by the gods that dont even bare thinking about:huh:

zomg, teh lvl 25 frayter ddnt drpz ne lootz. WTF NERF!1111111oneoneeon1!1

/gets his coat.

leeclose
03-06-07, 05:19 PM
Thank gawds for subsim:up: