PDA

View Full Version : confusing computer problems....

AJ!
03-04-07, 09:05 AM
Hi peeps...

Ive been having problems with my computer for some time now but havnt been able to figure out what is wrong with it :cry:

This is mainly in reference to playing games on the computer. Sometimes it will run the game fine with no hiccups, but my problem is games crashing for no reason...

Some games run fine and will never crash like company of heroes or Silent hunter 3 but there are some games the computer just doesnt seem to like........ a game like doom 3 for instance it will run fine, but another like quake 4 will occationly crash :o
I will be happily playing through a game then it will just crash back to desktop (or reboot)

The biggest problem is sometimes the computer will reboot itsself instead of crash or sometimes do both :nope: and this is far from uncommon

Is this down to software or hardware?? I have reinstalled XP which has made the computer faster but hasnt solved this issue

Takeda Shingen
03-04-07, 09:09 AM
I admit that my knowledge regarding the 'guts' of the computer is limited, but could you give us your computer specs? Seeing this, some of our more knowledgable members (like Gizz) should be able to help you.

Gizzmoe
03-04-07, 09:28 AM
Is this down to software or hardware??
Hard to say.

Could be an overheating problem, check if there´s too much dust on the CPU, GPU and mainboard fan and if they work correctly. Use a brush to clean them. Games react differently, some work fine when the system is overheated, some don´t.

Check the CPU, GPU and mainboard temperature under load:
http://www.ocinside.de/download/mbm5370.exe

Change the hardware sound acceleration to Standard, if that doesn´t help, to Basic:
Start/Run, dxdiag, Sound tab.

Try newer or older video and sound drivers.

Update the chipset drivers.

Test your RAM:
http://www.memtest86.com/

AJ!
03-04-07, 09:43 AM
Well i only got it from alienware a few months ago so i havnt been messing with anything inside it.

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Professional UK with SP2 - English
Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling + AlienFX™ System Lighting + Alienware® High-Performance Liquid Cooling
Power Supply: 700 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce™ 4 SLI Motherboard
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz 4MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
Memory: 4GB DDR2 PC-6400 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB
Video Card: Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT - SLI Enabled
Physics Processing Unit : AGEIA PhysX™ Physics Processing Unit
Video Optimiser: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7,200 rpm with 8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: 18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard
Network Card: Integrated High Performance Intel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (DSL-ready)
Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB Floppy Drive - Black
Speakers: Creative® 2.1 Inspire™ T3100 - UK Power Supply

Thats the exact information from a Email from them...
I dont know if any of that helps explain the problem though

Sometimes the computer will even reboot when im on the desktop doing something :nope:

Gizzmoe
03-04-07, 09:47 AM
Sometimes the computer will even reboot when im on the desktop doing something :nope:
Now that is a very bad sign! Most likely a hardware problem, probably the power supply, mainboard or RAM. Don´t open the PC, tell Alienware to fix the problem.

It could also be an external device that causes this problem. If you have an USB hub, printer, scanner, or joystick, remove them, that maybe helps...

AJ!
03-04-07, 09:58 AM
Now that is a very bad sign! Most likely a hardware problem, probably the power supply, mainboard or RAM. Don´t open the PC, tell Alienware to fix the problem.

It could also be an external device that causes this problem. If you have an USB hub, printer, scanner, or joystick, remove them, that maybe helps...

yeah but that is very rare....... still shouldnt be happening though :o

fredbass
03-04-07, 10:15 AM
I'm not an expert, but check on driver updates to video and sound card and do a defrag and clean registry, as a habit.

I also always keep computer plugged into backup battery which will help against power failure and surges.

SUBMAN1
03-04-07, 03:27 PM

yeah but that is very rare....... still shouldnt be happening though :o

I'd have to agree with Gizz on this - You have an issue, and if I'd have to take a stab at it - it's probably RAM. Make Alienware fix it.

elite_hunter_sh3
03-04-07, 03:30 PM
call alienware and tell em the problem either tey will ask u to ship the pc back and they fix it or if they cant they either give u the same specs new or compensate with a better if they cant. this is y i like to build my computers from scratch , it takes a while, but i love it and its fun and exciting for me:|\\, cuz building it from scratch for me is uber cool, plus i then know the inside and out of my computer and when a problem arises i can easily fix it.:rock::up:

ASWnut101
03-04-07, 05:36 PM
While were at it I guess I'll give it a go...

My computer has stopped turning on. I press power, the computer comes on and the monitor just goes into standby mode. I can't even use it! Sorry, I'm in a rush and will post more later.

Dimitrius07
03-04-07, 05:42 PM
ASWnut101

Turn on and hold the PC power button for 3 seconds if thise is not helping i` thing your motherboard "Kaput" :dead:

SUBMAN1
03-04-07, 05:52 PM
While were at it I guess I'll give it a go...

My computer has stopped turning on. I press power, the computer comes on and the monitor just goes into standby mode. I can't even use it! Sorry, I'm in a rush and will post more later.
Plug the monitor into the computer! :p Actually, take a look to make sure it is plugged in.

Does it even post - ie. beep?

-S

stabiz
03-04-07, 06:22 PM
If you have a fairly new motherboard, you should be able to see a postcode on the mobo itself after you turn it on. Check it against the manual or google it.

ASWnut101
03-05-07, 04:57 PM
No beeping, nothing. I can't tell you how many times I've checked the wires now. Press CPU power, monitor power, and the monitor goes into standby. I wonder if it had something to do with all of those BSOD's I ignored.