PDA

View Full Version : German foreign policy schizophrenia

Skybird
02-08-07, 12:30 PM
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,465056,00.html

Schizophrenia - how often this word is on my mind when hearing about German and european policies. This text I post to illustrate that even in Germany itself there is a growing dissatisfaction with the idiotic word games politicians play concerning certain themes.

I give this link uncommented, since I already said all what I have to say on Afghanistan here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=101846

My position is still the same like it always has been in the past years: both America's and the European's approaches are not working well and are grounded on illusions and follies - but different illusions and follies. Since I posted that essay in November, I find the situation having detoriated even more. Like it has for the better part of the last five years. Instead of launching Iraq 2003, the Iraq-related military effort of the US should have been doubled, invested into Afghanistan instead of Iraq and should have been directed against Pakistan as well - and in this scenario, with no further foolish self-deceptions and egoisms around, the Europeans should have supported it full-heartly and with troops and weapons (inclduing Germany), while the Americans should have followed the European example of strengthening and supporting civilian structures as well. What we have now is a rivalry between both, each effort for itself not sufficient, not lasting, and wishing the NATO-partner to fail so that oneself can shine. Great partnership. So much for NATO. This is it's first out-of-area and probably also it's last hot war. For me, it's pretty much dead, and not trustworthy anymore. Point for the Islamists.

German defense minster, yesterday or the day before: "The German Tornados are not engaging in combat missions, they will do reconnaissance only, and reconnaissance helps to increase security only - and this is good for all." - No comment. That guy should quit office for being an total idiot.

On the other hand, Colonel Gertz (whom I highly respect), speaker of the Bundeswehrverband: "Let there be no doubt: this is a combat mission in a warzone, and no photographing of drilling holes for wells. While the risk can be calculated, it still exists and refers to operations under wartime rules of engagement." - It seems the military knows lightyears ahead of the politicians. And due to the highly vulnerable situation of the Germans in Afghanistan, it is not happy with the inadequate preparations offered by politicians.

The scale of this messup is almost fascinating.

Sixpack
02-09-07, 07:01 AM
S!

Too bad the days of Blitzkrieg are long gone after being conducted on the wrong continent ;)