PDA

View Full Version : Great Games/Hard to Find

emtmedic005
02-07-07, 08:17 PM
Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe? has anyone heard of these games or have played them?

My dad got me Aces of the Pacific when i was about 6 or 7 (im 21 now, do the math). I loved the game and i was really good at it for a kid. when i was about 10 we moved to PA from Washington State and some how the game was losted in the move. About 5 years ago i was in a store and noticed some old cheap PC games. I looked through them and saw one that had A-10 Warthog, The Red Baron, Aces Over Europe and Aces of the Pacific in it. So i bought it, but it didnt work for some reason, i dont remember. But anyways we moved again to MA and i was going through some boxes and found that bundle pack CD so i put it in my PC and tried to load Aces of the Paficic but i couldnt cause it requires DOS to play it. So i dont know wat to do, i looked at all the ways one can do it but it doesnt make any sense.
So can anyone help me out? I remember with the orginal Aces game it came with a manual, it was a book actually and i was wondering if anyone has a copy for sale, haha. Or if anyone knows where i can buy the original Aces of the Pacific?

sonar732
02-07-07, 08:41 PM
Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe? has anyone heard of these games or have played them?

My dad got me Aces of the Pacific when i was about 6 or 7 (im 21 now, do the math). I loved the game and i was really good at it for a kid. when i was about 10 we moved to PA from Washington State and some how the game was losted in the move. About 5 years ago i was in a store and noticed some old cheap PC games. I looked through them and saw one that had A-10 Warthog, The Red Baron, Aces Over Europe and Aces of the Pacific in it. So i bought it, but it didnt work for some reason, i dont remember. But anyways we moved again to MA and i was going through some boxes and found that bundle pack CD so i put it in my PC and tried to load Aces of the Paficic but i couldnt cause it requires DOS to play it. So i dont know wat to do, i looked at all the ways one can do it but it doesnt make any sense.
So can anyone help me out? I remember with the orginal Aces game it came with a manual, it was a book actually and i was wondering if anyone has a copy for sale, haha. Or if anyone knows where i can buy the original Aces of the Pacific?
Have you attempted to utilize the 'compatability' function of Windows XP? Make it for W95 at 640X480 colors.

EDIT: I found your game pack on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Aces-Collection-Red-Baron-Aces-Over-Europe-A-10-BOX_W0QQitemZ110079450442QQihZ001QQcategoryZ80336Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)though.

GSpector
02-08-07, 12:00 AM
Hello emtmedic005,

According to the Aces manual (pg. 11) it says "For best results, install the programs from Windows, but run the flight simulations from DOS (with the exception of A-10 2). "

Also, make sure you have the required 6MB of free Hard Drive space for the installation :roll:

Also it looks like AotP requires M$-DOS 5.0 or higher :lol:

Wow, it's been a long time since I played these and I remember when I hoped to have a system that was good enough to really enjoy them.

I will admit that I did prefer many of the features of the old sims, many by MicroProse. I would like to see many old Sims like F-117a redone with whole new graphics & sounds but remain the same feel. I prefer Sims that allowed to do as well or as bad as I wanted without having to do it all over again like some arcade game. That's whay I like SH3:up:

em2nought
02-08-07, 01:09 AM
I think you might need a freeware program named DOSbox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox Heard about it, but haven't used it myself.

Winston
02-08-07, 01:52 AM
I've tryed dosbox. It's very good as you can get to play a lot of old games. The trick is it needs a bit of tweeking to get the most out of it. However it's well worth it as if like me you have a shed load of old games to play. Spend a bit of time reading up on how to use it and you'll be fine. :D

WOD
02-08-07, 07:01 AM
Dosbox is good...Iīve have it and use it for some old games if I donīt have lust to turn on my old PI. And the other thing is VDM Sound....with that 2 little prgramms I got nearly all old dosgames I have running under xp.