PDA

View Full Version : French coast 1939

firepower41
01-25-07, 08:11 PM
Hello mates

I'm new and I wanted to ask some advice.

BdU ordered me to a point roughly 200 km ENE off Brittany. How would you navigate there from Kiel? I thought I might try to pass the Straits of Dover, and I ended up reenacting the last minutes of Das Boot... :o

Any ideas?

melnibonian
01-25-07, 08:13 PM
Under no circumstances you should not go through the Canal. I would suggest going over the coast of scotland and the west coast of Ireland. That was you avoid certain death in the canal.:yep:

Corsair
01-25-07, 08:15 PM
Depends what boat you're driving. I would suppose a VII for this type of patrol.
It's up to you, but here we have one common saying if you want to stay out of trouble,
STAY OUT OF THE CHANNEL...
(He he was first this time...)

I go around the north myself... with a VII you have way enough fuel.

johnno74
01-25-07, 09:42 PM
FYI to get thru the keil canal, there are commands to automatically insert waypoints under the navigators search pattern menu... select "keil canal OUT" before you move away from your starting position in the docks at keil (or you'll end up running aground!) and then on the way in set a waypoint on the "keil canal entrance point" and select "keil canal in" to create waypoints.

If you knew this, please disregard, but I didn't when I first started playing GWX and my first trip out was a pain... until I found out the auto-waypoint thing :oops:

firepower41
01-26-07, 10:30 AM
Vielen Dank, mates!

Leod
01-26-07, 11:42 AM
FYI to get thru the keil canal, there are commands to automatically insert waypoints under the navigators search pattern menu... select "keil canal OUT" before you move away from your starting position in the docks at keil (or you'll end up running aground!) and then on the way in set a waypoint on the "keil canal entrance point" and select "keil canal in" to create waypoints.

If you knew this, please disregard, but I didn't when I first started playing GWX and my first trip out was a pain... until I found out the auto-waypoint thing :oops:

Woah, ok ... what?

Whats this auto waypoint thing? How do you select auto waypoint? Why not travel through the canal? If you say RTFM, I thought I had.

AVGWarhawk
01-26-07, 12:12 PM
If you have GWX and are starting Kiel, click on the navigator and you will see a selection for inbound Kiel and outbound Kiel. Pick outbound and the boat will auto navigate the Kiel Canal.

As far as the English Channel...you are best to avoid it unless your into warships and DC messing with you for day;)

Jimbuna
01-26-07, 01:52 PM
Depends what boat you're driving. I would suppose a VII for this type of patrol.
It's up to you, but here we have one common saying if you want to stay out of trouble,
STAY OUT OF THE CHANNEL...
(He he was first this time...)

I go around the north myself... with a VII you have way enough fuel.

:roll: :damn: :rotfl: