PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen power takes one giant step forward as an alternative powerplant

SUBMAN1
01-25-07, 02:17 PM
Its about time!!!

-S

http://www.physorg.com/news88772830.html

tycho102
01-26-07, 02:39 PM
The problem is the fuel system. The engine designs are there, but no one knows how the hell to make the hydrogen using current systems. I think we have to build nuclear plants. Fuel is just an energy carrier, just like bread and cheese are for your body. If we could get the electrical power, the fuel system would be possible. Biodiesel might be an excellent idea for the plains states because you need a very solvent fuel for tractors and combines, as well as long-haul trucks. Hydrogen is so light, it makes sense to power trains by hydrogen -- and aerodynamic design would cut the wind resistance to the point where you'd have to have dynamic spoilers on the fuel car to prevent it from lifting off the rails at ~200kph. City mass-transit powered by hydrogen would prevent localized combustion byproducts. Christ knows San Francisco could use it, but lots of other places as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tycho102/images/threads/poli_co2concentration.jpg

This is great for mopeds and lawnmowers and RC cars because 2-20HP motors would be more efficient, but the problem is still fuel synthesis.

SUBMAN1
01-26-07, 04:09 PM
The problem is the fuel system. The engine designs are there, but no one knows how the hell to make the hydrogen using current systems. I think we have to build nuclear plants. Fuel is just an energy carrier, just like bread and cheese are for your body. If we could get the electrical power, the fuel system would be possible. Biodiesel might be an excellent idea for the plains states because you need a very solvent fuel for tractors and combines, as well as long-haul trucks. Hydrogen is so light, it makes sense to power trains by hydrogen -- and aerodynamic design would cut the wind resistance to the point where you'd have to have dynamic spoilers on the fuel car to prevent it from lifting off the rails at ~200kph. City mass-transit powered by hydrogen would prevent localized combustion byproducts. Christ knows San Francisco could use it, but lots of other places as well.

This is great for mopeds and lawnmowers and RC cars because 2-20HP motors would be more efficient, but the problem is still fuel synthesis.

That is true, but even more of a pain is fuel distribution. Iceland has solved both problems and even has an operation hydrogen fueling station. The point is I guess, unless you have an extremely efficient return on investment - something that the closed system does, then it will remain a novelty. With the technology above, more effort will go into refining since you now have a truely viable powerplant. Without the powerplant, creating the fuel and researching the fuel is just a novelty and not worth investing much into.

Just my ideas on the subject.

-S