PDA

View Full Version : Editing .mis files

Vacillator
01-23-07, 04:12 AM
Hello all
I've read a lot about editing .mis files for example to alter Elite AI crew skill on a lot of ships. When I try to open any of these files, either in the main folder or in the My documents SH3 folder using Word or notepad, I get the message 'This action only available for files which are installed' or something like that. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Or is it that because I'm using GWX (and now also SH3 Commander) I can't do this? That doesn't seem to be the case from some of the posts I've read.

Any help appreciated :up:.

PS Apologies to anyone who read the same post on Ubi!

Kingcobra24
01-23-07, 12:28 PM
Those files open easily enough when you use the Mission Editor section of SHIII.
:lurk:

bigboywooly
01-23-07, 12:42 PM
Hello all
I've read a lot about editing .mis files for example to alter Elite AI crew skill on a lot of ships. When I try to open any of these files, either in the main folder or in the My documents SH3 folder using Word or notepad, I get the message 'This action only available for files which are installed' or something like that. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Or is it that because I'm using GWX (and now also SH3 Commander) I can't do this? That doesn't seem to be the case from some of the posts I've read.

Any help appreciated :up:.

PS Apologies to anyone who read the same post on Ubi!

Hi and welcome to Subsim
I always use notepad to open the mis files and that message is a new one on me

The files to open to alter crew levels are in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Campaigns\Campa ign

Be sure to make a back up first and if you are using SH3commander do a rollback too

Vacillator
01-24-07, 04:24 AM
Thanks guys. Yes a very odd error message. I have since had success with Word, but only by opening the .mis files from within Word, not by double clicking or using 'Open with' Word. Should've tried that before posting but the problem seemed an odd one, particularly as another PC had no problem opening the same file!

Thanks for the welcome and the reminder on Commander bigboywooly. I haven't made any changes yet as a lot of the CrewRatings seemed to be set lower than 4 anyway - perhaps GWX re-sets the stock values? Don't know.

Anyway, great game - although a little late on the scene I'm hooked.