PDA

View Full Version : time zone lettering

ABBAFAN
01-21-07, 05:23 PM
I was doing nothing in particular and realised that the letters given to time zones are not logical.A or alpha is the greenwich zone and they follow on from there but z is befor n and a few others are out of alphabetical order.Whats the deal?

Chaotic42
01-21-07, 05:31 PM
I was doing nothing in particular and realised that the letters given to time zones are not logical.A or alpha is the greenwich zone and they follow on from there but z is befor n and a few others are out of alphabetical order.Whats the deal?
I see that you live in the <b> timezone... :lol:

waste gate
01-21-07, 05:52 PM
24 Hours in a day. 26 letters in the alphabet. Z (zulu) for zero hour, the place from which all other hours begin, plus zulu or minus zulu. I guess they could have chosen A (alpha), but they didn't.

The Avon Lady
01-21-07, 09:18 PM
The line, it is drawn,
the curse, it is cast
The slow one will later be fast
And the present now will soon be the past
The order is rapidly fading
The first one now will later be last
For the times, they are a changin' (www.memritv.org/search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1349)
- Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A Changin'

U-533
01-21-07, 09:30 PM

Jeeewhiz ... and all I did today was mow the lawn, Mentor my Cadet, put fan belts on my land yacht, fix a transmission fluid leak on my land yacht, stop a speeding idiot driver from hitting a pedestrian, stop 2 "Hoodlums" from robbing an old lady, talk to the Mayor about some pot holes, and kiss my wife and tell her I love her...:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

ABBAFAN
01-22-07, 10:53 AM
I knmow why the letters are used but instead of goinag around the planet in aplphabetical order they are in some places out of order.seems odd.

Zero Niner
01-22-07, 08:28 PM
AFAIK Zulu (Z) = UTC or GMT.
Not sure about the rest tho'.