PDA

View Full Version : Awarding u-boat war badges

Captain Nemo
01-19-07, 06:41 AM
I have just completed my first patrol. At the end of the mission I had 39 u-boat war badges to handout to my crew. Tried to drag and drop them on to crew members but it would have none of it. I know its got nothing to do with GWX as I experienced the same in stock SH3. Has anyone else experienced this? All other medals and awards seem to work OK.

Nemo

melnibonian
01-19-07, 06:43 AM
You hand them over exactly the same way as other medals. Just click on the crewman you want, then you drag and drop the badge on them. I know it's a bit fiddly but make sure you click on the actual badge when you do the drag and drop. If you can't manage it try using SH3Cmd.

GSpector
01-19-07, 06:49 AM
Hello,

I'm not sure how the Sim gave you 39 Awards of any kind after just 1 patrol.

Are you saying that because you completed 1 patrol you were hoping to give out 39 War Badges or that the Sim showed you a total of 39 War Badges but would not let you drag them to any Crewmen?

Either way, if you use SH Commander 2.7, you could give every player any Award you want when you want. So, if for some reason you wanted to give 39 War Badges out (Even though typically they were given after 2nd patrol), you could.

Abd_von_Mumit
01-19-07, 07:06 AM
GSPector - you get almost as many war bagdes with GWX, as many crew members you have. The badge is just for marking that the guy has some battle experience and has taken part in at least 1 patrol.

Captain Nemo
01-19-07, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure how the Sim gave you 39 Awards of any kind after just 1 patrol.

Are you saying that because you completed 1 patrol you were hoping to give out 39 War Badges or that the Sim showed you a total of 39 War Badges but would not let you drag them to any Crewmen?

Either way, if you use SH Commander 2.7, you could give every player any Award you want when you want. So, if for some reason you wanted to give 39 War Badges out (Even though typically they were given after 2nd patrol), you could.

39 war badges is what it said, I did sink near on 76,000 tons of shipping on my first patrol but even so I agree it does sound a tad excessive. However, I was unable to drag even one to a crewman, it just wouldn't move. I've had no trouble dragging and dropping iron crosses (second class) which I was given three to hand out. After making one of my petty officers a watchman I clicked back on awards, which still said I had 39 badges and tried again to drag one over to a crewman, it said something like "you must complete a patrol first". I suppose my crew will have to live without them

Nemo

GSpector
01-19-07, 07:18 AM
My best guess is that if it says you must complete a patrol 1st, then I'm thinking you are trying to award these War Badges right after completing a patrol and the Sim has not registered a complete patrol yet.

Try to save the career, exit and just before you start your next patrol try then or after the 2nd patrol.

Captain Nemo
01-19-07, 07:25 AM
I'll give it a try just before I start my second patrol. If I remember rightly, you lose any medals given to you to hand out once you start a new patrol, its a case of use them or lose them. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

Nemo

melnibonian
01-19-07, 07:28 AM
I'll give it a try just before I start my second patrol. If I remember rightly, you lose any medals given to you to hand out once you start a new patrol, its a case of use them or lose them. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

Nemo
No there is no problem with that. The procedure is
1. Finish the patrol and exit to the main menu (or the game if you like) In here the game status will be 'in base after mission'
2. Load up your save game (either from the main menu or via SH3Cmd/SH3.exe)
3. Hand over your medals and upgrade your sub. In here the game status will be 'In base before mission'
4. Start new patrol

If you don't hand over the medals BEFORE you start the new patrol (step 4 above) then you lose them. If you exit after the patrol finishes the game status is 'in base before patrol' so you can still handle medals and do upgrades. I would suggest you give medals and do upgrades when your status is 'In base before mission' as the game gets a bit confused some times (aka stock bug)

GSpector
01-19-07, 07:30 AM
Well, if you lose them then again I suggest SH Commander.

Abd_von_Mumit
01-19-07, 07:36 AM
Did you changed all your crewmen to new folks? If so, you can't award them the badges obviously. But if they participated in at least 1 patrol and this was not possible to give tem the badges, it could be a bug, I think.

JScones
01-19-07, 07:36 AM
In stock SH3 the badges came in dribs and drabs and usually no more than one per patrol - very unrealistic. RUb originally adjusted the renown value so that you got them at a more realistic rate and time. RUb's change has been carried over into mods like GWX, NYGM and when using SH3Cmdr.

Problem is, they're still awarded based on SH3's system. So, a successful first patrol means you'll likely get them after its completion, rather than after the completion of the second patrol, which was usually the norm in RL.

Personally, I ignore them and use SH3Cmdr's "Autofix" function after I've completed the second patrol. By using SH3Cmdr, all my crew gets one with one click...unless it's pre-13 Oct 1939 or they've done less than 2 patrols of course. ;)

johnm
01-19-07, 08:24 AM
If I understand you correctly - you've got the badges but can't give them to anybody?

I had this problem at first but found that the badge 'pickup point' isn't the middle but slightly bottom left, just before the badge. If you fiddle around clicking and pulling you'll see when you pick 'em up.

Al;l the other badges are no problem. Perhaps the graphic is off centre.

Captain Nemo
01-19-07, 09:10 AM
Thanks Johnm I'll give that a try as well.

Nemo

Tijn
01-19-07, 09:42 AM
If I understand you correctly - you've got the badges but can't give them to anybody?

I had this problem at first but found that the badge 'pickup point' isn't the middle but slightly bottom left, just before the badge. If you fiddle around clicking and pulling you'll see when you pick 'em up.

Exactly what he says, i had the same problem. By pointing the mouse a little lower i clould drag the medal after all.

Jimbuna
01-19-07, 10:05 AM

This has been an age old problem and is overcome by following the above advice :yep:

You might want to consider the JS example because its a lot quicker and simpler :up: