PDA

View Full Version : GWX aiming point for one torpedo sinkings

Brag
01-18-07, 05:58 PM
Some small GWX freighters been frustrating torpedo eaters. Here is a bit of a weird pic, which illustrates where to hit the little buggers so that they will split in two and go down in seconds :smug: :know: :arrgh!:

Aim just forward of the bridge.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/Braguine/fsscr033.jpg

Corsair
01-18-07, 06:10 PM
That's not worth a torpedo... I gun them down and if weather doesn't allow for deck gun let the bugger get away.;)

Kpt. Lehmann
01-18-07, 06:11 PM
Some small GWX freighters been frustrating torpedo eaters. Here is a bit of a weird pic, which illustrates where to hit the little buggers so that they will split in two and go down in seconds :smug: :know: :arrgh!:

Aim just forward of the bridge.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/Braguine/fsscr033.jpg

Good post!!! :up: :up: :up: On many occasions using the deck gun is not an option.

Ducimus
01-18-07, 09:51 PM
Another spot that works with small merchants and tramp steamers, is, in the general vacinity under the forward mast. The bow of the ship floods down and pulls the rest of the ship down with it.

Dallass_Drake
01-18-07, 10:25 PM
Yeah, could never waste a Torpedo on the smaller merchants, those Tramp Steamers absorb deck gun rounds though! Think they just sink when they've gained too much weight in naval ordnance

TriskettheKid
01-18-07, 11:00 PM
I think you can one-hit pretty much every vessel in GWX.

Hell, just last night I ended up one shotting a BB (Revenge). It's become a science for me. Large cargoes, medium ones, large tankers, medium ones, DDs of all types, Cruisers, all can be one shotted.

And I had no idea it was so ridiculously easy.

Make sure you hit (not magnetic, impact piston) at the very tail of the ship, by the screws, or at the very front of the ship, at the bow.

Doesn't matter the size of the ship. So far, they will ALL sink with one well placed shot. I'll see if I can find a pic to post to show this.

Steppenwolf
01-18-07, 11:38 PM
Thanks Brag and Ducimus for the heads up. Very useful information.

To hit a Pyro ships ammo bunkers, another thread suggested aiming for under the first set of forward masts. Anyone have any other suggestions of good places to aim at for other kinds of ships?

Dallass_Drake
01-18-07, 11:57 PM
I managed to one hit three Medium Tanker's last night, I hit them all just in front of the ... bridge I suppose and they all burst into flames, immediate kills, my forth torp hit a forth medium tanker (The last and farthest) on the screws but it wouldn't sink, had to follow it and finish it off with the deck gun.

With the new medium tankers in GWX I haven't been able to kill one in a single shot yet, those others were like the stock medium's.

For others, I've always had success putting it straight in the front, but not always to the rear

vodkavera
01-19-07, 02:59 AM
Interesting post! :up:

I would like to know what depth you set your torpedoes on?

/VV

Jimbuna
01-19-07, 04:29 AM

Hell, just last night I ended up one shotting a BB (Revenge). It's become a science for me. Large cargoes, medium ones, large tankers, medium ones, DDs of all types, Cruisers, all can be one shotted.

Make sure you hit (not magnetic, impact piston) at the very tail of the ship, by the screws, or at the very front of the ship, at the bow.

Doesn't matter the size of the ship. So far, they will ALL sink with one well placed shot. I'll see if I can find a pic to post to show this.

You sure your real name aint Billy The Kid ?:hmm: :lol:

Paajtor
01-19-07, 05:51 AM
I usually just send a contact-report, if I see one of those small cargos, and hope the Luftwaffe has some birds in the area.

Brag
01-19-07, 06:51 AM

/VV

Depth 4 meters, set for impact, AOB nearly 90 degrees, distance 600 meters. State of sea: moderately choppy. ;)

melnibonian
01-19-07, 06:56 AM

/VV

Depth 4 meters, set for impact, AOB nearly 90 degrees, distance 600 meters. State of sea: moderately choppy. ;)
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it and inform you how it works;) :D :up:

VipertheSniper
01-19-07, 07:32 AM
Another spot that works with small merchants and tramp steamers, is, in the general vacinity under the forward mast. The bow of the ship floods down and pulls the rest of the ship down with it.

On my last patrol I tried that, either the sea wasn't rough enough, or the flooding not severe enough, but this bugger didn't want to go down, I think I've wasted 3 torpedos on him, and then just sailed to Cadiz because the weather wasn't going to change anytime soon for the better so I could use the deckgun. BTW, I've never managed to break ships in half with my deckgun before GWX... Already have done so now on atleast two occasions

Abd_von_Mumit
01-19-07, 07:41 AM
That worked for me yesterday also with a Southhampton Class Cruiser (11k tons). After carefull approach to a convoy NW of Ireland I spotted the ship in its very middle. I shot 2 TII torpedoes, 8 metres deep, magnetic pistol, aiming under her aft funnel. AOB 100 degrees, distance 2,5 km, speed 8 knts, torp. bearing 352 degrees. First torpedo missed, the second hit the very rostrum. I was about to say something like "verdamnt!" but then the cruiser started diving immediately. It took her at most like 3-4 minutes to hide beneath the waves without even singing last time. And that was beautiful...

After that some DD sang, but I managed to escape. Spectacting will kill me some day.

TriskettheKid
01-19-07, 11:35 AM

You sure your real name aint Billy The Kid ?:hmm: :lol:

I'm fairly sure, because my name isn't William.

Some people should try it out, though. Set your fish for the shallowest setting you can (.5 meters or something like that) and on impact.

Line up about 1km away and fire so that the fish hits by the screws or by the bow. The ship won't blow up or split apart, mind you, but it WILL almost certainly go down. In the few times that it hasn't gone down (less than 10% of the time) then another well placed shot in the same place, or on the other end of the ship will finish her off. Again, this is regardless of size and tested on everything up to the Hood (who I have yet to run into on the open seas) or any Carriers.

I haven't been lucky enough to run into the right convoy yet, but using my method I've had quite a few patrols come within 100k tonnage (no kills via deck gun, either).

melnibonian
01-19-07, 11:53 AM
I've just sunk a Large Tanker with one torpedo. Running depth of 1m with impact pistol. It hit just above the first small bridge of the tanker (not the big one in the back with the smoke stak) and whole hell broke loose. It was blowing up for two minutes. It was on fire afterwards until it went down about 30 minutes later. I've never seen so much smoke in GWX. Shame I couldn't take a picture as I was in the middle of a convoy battle with just 400m visibility and DDs looking for me

Abd_von_Mumit
01-19-07, 11:54 AM
I'm fairly sure, because my name isn't William.

Some people should try it out, though. Set your fish for the shallowest setting you can (.5 meters or something like that) and on impact.

Line up about 1km away and fire so that the fish hits by the screws or by the bow. The ship won't blow up or split apart, mind you, but it WILL almost certainly go down. In the few times that it hasn't gone down (less than 10% of the time) then another well placed shot in the same place, or on the other end of the ship will finish her off. Again, this is regardless of size and tested on everything up to the Hood (who I have yet to run into on the open seas) or any Carriers.

I haven't been lucky enough to run into the right convoy yet, but using my method I've had quite a few patrols come within 100k tonnage (no kills via deck gun, either).
Let's hope that's going to be fixed in the next GWX release. Sounds like nothing real at all. I noticed that the impact torpedoes actually do more damage and sink the ships easier, but that's also not as it's supposed to be, is it? Thus I make myself not to stick only with impact triggers and shoot magnetic ones under the ship from time to time, just to keep it more real...

TriskettheKid
01-19-07, 06:20 PM
Let's hope that's going to be fixed in the next GWX release. Sounds like nothing real at all. I noticed that the impact torpedoes actually do more damage and sink the ships easier, but that's also not as it's supposed to be, is it? Thus I make myself not to stick only with impact triggers and shoot magnetic ones under the ship from time to time, just to keep it more real...

Actually, Magnetic ones will one shot a ship, too, depending on where they were aimed.

Impact torps, from my perspective, are doing what they're supposed to: ripping holes in ships.

It's not like any of my shots have exploded ships before (save pyro ships and the occasional tanker). They have all sank very slowly from flooding.

TriskettheKid
01-19-07, 06:22 PM
I mean, to me it makes more sense to go for the shots I go for.

That weight all at one end of the boat is going to start dragging it down, causing more flooding, thereby dragging it further down, causing more flooding, etc.

Hitting in the middle of a ship can cause a list, but I've noticed that the list usually isn't enough to sink it.

Paajtor
01-19-07, 06:45 PM
I wonder if it makes a difference, whether a ship is sailing on battle-stations or not? (in GWX)
Just in general...will it keep a ship better afloat, if the crew is already allerted and manning all battle-stations?

That is, all compartments closed and secured, and repair-team ready.

Brag
01-19-07, 10:10 PM
I've just sunk a Large Tanker with one torpedo. Running depth of 1m with impact pistol. It hit just above the first small bridge of the tanker (not the big one in the back with the smoke stak) and whole hell broke loose. It was blowing up for two minutes. It was on fire afterwards until it went down about 30 minutes later. I've never seen so much smoke in GWX. Shame I couldn't take a picture as I was in the middle of a convoy battle with just 400m visibility and DDs looking for me

Thanks for this report, we gotta relearn everything from scratch with GWX :yep: