PDA

View Full Version : The old steamer fish

danurve
01-18-07, 10:27 AM
Maybe it's just me but I'd like to know if anyone else ditches the electric fish for the old steamers in port before a patrol? :hmm:
I haven't gotten past `40 in any patrol yet, but I like being able to select the speed. Haven't seen where the trail has been a problem yet. Perhaps it's the game mechanics? Also it's kinda cool to switch to victim view and watch the fish connect from a gulls eye veiw.

Slick Rick
01-18-07, 10:33 AM
And here I thought I was the only one......yes...the merchants and DDs will spot them and avoid them if possible.....but I like the speed selection capability as well ...especially if you have a DD bearing down on you....sometimes it is the only ticket........

Letum
01-18-07, 10:36 AM
Yup, I always do that. The main reason is the range.

Ive had TII torps stop in the middle of the convoy after I missed a ship. :cry:

But the good old TI's keep running and hit a ship at the back of the convoy instead :D

Abd_von_Mumit
01-18-07, 10:41 AM
I always take only TI torpedoes. But I thought that's because I'm a lame and need their speed to actually hit anything. :D

More serious -- every time when preparing to the patrol I consider taking some TII's instead and usually i take 4 (2 ready and 2 in internal storage), but after that, when it becomes hot in action, I forget about it and curse on the trigger that doesn't want to switch to high speed, or just choose the TI ones (and stay with four TII's at the end of patrol...). But one day I'll make myself learn how to use them properly. :)

AVGWarhawk
01-18-07, 10:42 AM
I drop the electrics like a bad habit. Steamers for me. Speed selection is critical in my attacks:rock: I get close enough that the bubbles alerting the merchant have no effect. They attempt to move out of the way but to little effect!:up:

Mooncatt
01-18-07, 10:44 AM
i like the old steamers too, although they are easily spotted the speed makes up for that when a destroyer is onto you. have you tried firing a slow fish at a DD pfft they avoid them so easily.

mookiemookie
01-18-07, 10:46 AM
I take about a 50/50 mix of electrics and steamers. I use electrics for daylight attacks and steamers for nighttime and for the times when I need a fast fish.

However, I don't put the electrics in the external reload slots since they couldn't do that in real life (electrics needed constant maintenance and their batteries needed to be warmed up).

Mooncatt
01-18-07, 10:50 AM
yeah me too i like to take electrics too for day time attacks

hyperion2206
01-18-07, 11:11 AM
I just use the electrics. You have to get fairly close but until they impact noone knows that they're underway. Electric eels rock!:rock:

LeafsFan
01-18-07, 11:46 AM
Steamers for me as well.

HB

Letum
01-18-07, 11:56 AM
The other advantage with steamers is that you can fire your bow tubes on the "slow" setting and then turn around and fire your aft tube on the "fast" setting. With a little maths and good timing all 5 torps will hit all 5 ships at the same time. :up:

Dietrich
01-18-07, 12:06 PM
I definitely prefer steam torpedoes. As well as being faster, they have a longer range - especially useful for the FaT and LuT torpedoes!

danurve
01-18-07, 12:09 PM
Ahh, well it seems too be a preference then.:arrgh!:

Kind of glad Im not alone at least. :D

Hakahura
01-18-07, 12:14 PM
Your far from alone, steamers rule.

Speed is accuracy.

Puster Bill
01-18-07, 01:19 PM
In real life, crews were forbidden to use the T1's on the fast (44 knot) speed setting for the first few years of the War, because the engines had a tendency to overheat at that setting. So if you are a stickler for accuracy, set them to 40 knots.