PDA

View Full Version : GWX spec question...

Sheerin
01-17-07, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked by a million and one noobs before....

I've been thinking about upgrading to either 1 or 2 gigs of ram for my computer so I can run GWX. However i'm worried that my ATI 9250 (128mg) video card won't be up to task of running the mod.

Needless to say I'd be pissed if I dropped about anywhere between 130 and 260 bucks on new ram and still not be able to play becuase of my videocard.

Thanks, and sorry again for wasting bandwidth with this question :)

Roads88
01-17-07, 05:24 PM
if you been running GW 1.1a you should be able to run GWX.

If you have just been running SHIII with no mods: GWX will make it run a little slower. If you have fair frame rates RUN GWX you won't regret it.:yep:

Hope this helps

Sheerin
01-17-07, 05:27 PM
if you been running GW 1.1a you should be able to run GWX.

If you have just been running SHIII with no mods: GWX will make it run a little slower. If you have fair frame rates RUN GWX you won't regret it.:yep:

Hope this helps

Well i'm running 1.4b, and the frame rates are usually pretty good, there is a noticable slowdown when I come close to a convoy, but its not too bad.

stabiz
01-17-07, 05:28 PM
Hello there, mate. Adding RAM is always a good thing, its not like you are going to regret it anyway. 1GB is enough, although 2GB is more than sweet.

Your graphics card is a bit on the slow side, but it should run the mod just fine.

melnibonian
01-17-07, 08:05 PM
SH3, GW and GWX need a lot of RAM and quick CPU. I have 512MB of RAM and a 3.3GHz CPU and the game runs fine. Obviously the more RAM the better, but you can always compromise a bit if you have a good CPU. As far as the graphics card you have no problems as well. Mine is a 128MB moderate one and I see no problems in the game

Hartmann
01-17-07, 11:02 PM
SH3, GW and GWX need a lot of RAM and quick CPU. I have 512MB of RAM and a 3.3GHz CPU and the game runs fine. Obviously the more RAM the better, but you can always compromise a bit if you have a good CPU. As far as the graphics card you have no problems as well. Mine is a 128MB moderate one and I see no problems in the game

I have 512 too and GwX runs well , despite long loading times, and a bit of stutter in the first moments when load textures.

curiosly, academy missions loads faster than single missions and campaign, so is a good place to test things.

One question .. Sh3 load all campaign files and units in single missions ??:hmm:

Gizzmoe
01-18-07, 12:52 AM
One question .. Sh3 load all campaign files and units in single missions ??:hmm:

Yes, it does.

Gizzmoe
01-18-07, 01:08 AM
I've been thinking about upgrading to either 1 or 2 gigs of ram for my computer so I can run GWX. However i'm worried that my ATI 9250 (128mg) video card won't be up to task of running the mod.
I would make the decision depending on your money situation and if you wanna play SH4. YouŽll need a new card to play SH4, yours doesnŽt support the minimum required Pixel Shader 2.0. If you get 2GB and you know that after that you wonŽt be able to afford a new video card for the next 6-12 months you should get 1GB instead and save the $130, so that you can upgrade the card in three or four months.

fabel
01-18-07, 01:51 AM
I also have the ATI 9250 128mb, and run gwx. The card handles it very well.

Henri II
01-18-07, 02:47 AM
If I were you I would go for a new vieo card first. I recently upgraded from 1GB to 2GB of RAM and if there was any increase in FPS in GWX, it is not noticable. The loading times are faster though.

FIREWALL
01-18-07, 03:43 AM
I would make the decision depending on your money situation and if you wanna play SH4. YouŽll need a new card to play SH4, yours doesnŽt support the minimum required Pixel Shader 2.0. If you get 2GB and you know that after that you wonŽt be able to afford a new video card for the next 6-12 months you should get 1GB instead and save the $130, so that you can upgrade the card in three or four months.

Hi Gizzmoe Got a quick question. Iv'e got 2 gigs of ram and a nvidia
GeForce FX5600 256mb card. Is this enough to play SH4 ?. Plays
SH3 ,gwx WITH SH3 Commander 2.7 ,SH Gen and 11 activated mods
great with no slowdown in harbor or when attacking convoys. 40-50
fps and 130-150 in open ocean .

And could you also tell me any info you have on this card and any
opinions you have about it. All will be much appreciated. Thx in
advance. I don't ask for much do I.:D

Gizzmoe
01-18-07, 04:08 AM
Iv'e got 2 gigs of ram and a nvidia
GeForce FX5600 256mb card. Is this enough to play SH4 ?

Technically, yes, but PS2.0 games are generally much more demanding on graphics cards than PS 1.x games like SH3. SH4 even supports PS3.0 and it will look even better on cards that support it.

So for maximum effect would you need a new card that supports PS3.0, preferably one that it fast enough to also handle 4xAA and 8xAF at higher resolutions (>=1152x864).

FIREWALL
01-18-07, 04:17 AM
Iv'e got 2 gigs of ram and a nvidia
GeForce FX5600 256mb card. Is this enough to play SH4 ?

Technically, yes, but PS2.0 games are generally much more demanding on graphics cards than PS 1.x games like SH3. SH4 even supports PS3.0 and it will look even better on cards that support it.

So for maximum effect would you need a new card that supports PS3.0, preferably one that it fast enough to also handle 4xAA and 8xAF at higher resolutions (>=1152x864).

Thx for getting back so fast to me. Have you a recommend on a nividia
agp card in the $150.00 range ?

Gizzmoe
01-18-07, 04:25 AM
Have you a recommend on a nividia agp card in the $150.00 range ?

You donŽt need to upgrade now, ask me again in a few months, once SH4 is available. Prices drop constantly as you know.

FIREWALL
01-18-07, 04:40 AM
Have you a recommend on a nividia agp card in the $150.00 range ?

You donŽt need to upgrade now, ask me again in a few months, once SH4 is available. Prices drop constantly as you know.

THX again will do.:up:

BTW Don't you ever sleep ? I asked BBW the same question awhile
back and he just smiled and winked and rushed off to answer someone
else's question's. :hmm: "cloneing" Naaa!

Sheerin
01-18-07, 11:28 AM

SHIV is also consideration though I can't see myself buying it till after its been out a while. As for the videocard, I am planning on upgrading at some point in the future, however the only limitation is that my mother board doesn't have an AGP or PCIe slot, so i'm obviously limited to PCI cards.

However I would like to upgrade the ram first. Out of curosity what type of videocard would you recommend? Would the GeForce FX 5200 fit the bill?

thanks

Gizzmoe
01-18-07, 11:34 AM
As for the videocard, I am planning on upgrading at some point in the future, however the only limitation is that my mother board doesn't have an AGP or PCIe slot, so i'm obviously limited to PCI cards.
PCI? Forget it, there are no even halfway decent PCI card. Do yourself a favour and get a new mainboard, they arenŽt expensive.

kurtz
01-18-07, 11:40 AM
You can Squeeze a bit more performance out by stopping unwanted progs using task manager (ctrl+alt+del). If you take a look explorer eats up a huge chunk of ram. I stop evrything with my name next to it (Windows XP) and with 1 GB and a sempron 3000 i run pretty damn fine:)