PDA

View Full Version : Noob aboard.

DaveJH
01-17-07, 03:14 PM
I got SH3 a week ago, played vanillauntil yesterday, and now i'm on GWX. One thing that i've never picked up is torpedoing. I can never judge how far to lead the target, when I do I often get 'No solution for Tube #'.
Would someone be able to give me some pointers on torpedoing. (I have automatic aiming on by the way)
Cheers - Dave

bigboywooly
01-17-07, 03:19 PM
Hi and welcome to subsim

If you are using auto targetting do you press the L on keyboard to " lock " the perisope onto target ?
When you lock you will see a green\red\amber triangle in view
Green is optimum shot
Amber is close
Red is nowhere near lol
Dont forget to press Q on keyboard to open torpedo outer doors

Abd_von_Mumit
01-17-07, 03:23 PM
I target my torpedoes only manually, but I think I know were your problem is: try to avoid aiming at big angles. Watch your torpedo bearing indicator - it should be the best at 0 degress when you fire, it could be as well at range from 340 to 20 degrees, but rather not less nor more. If shooting aft torps, the values are from 160 to 200 degrees. The bigger the degree and the torpedo the more likely to miss.

Rules of thumb are:
- try to keep your torpedo bearing less than 20 degrees from bearing 0 and 180, respectively,
- never shoot when the angle would be more than 90 degrees.

Later in the war the torpedoes are said to be able to go even at 120 deg. angle, but I don't believe their mechanisms that much...

PS And welcome among us! Remember to drink, eat and have a nice company before you leave to patrol. Like all of us, you are most likely not to come back home never more... Till the next one. :)

DaveJH
01-17-07, 03:43 PM
So all I have to do is lock it then the WO will do the rest?
(I got the game with no manual..sorry if any questions are obvious to the more experience Kaleuns)

melnibonian
01-17-07, 03:48 PM
If you're playing with automatic targeting then to hit a ship follow these easy steps:

1. Position your boat at an angle of about 90 deg to the ship's course
2. when the ship passes through your scopes wait until you have a small gyro-angle (i.e. the triangle is green)
3. open torpedo tubes.
4. Ask your WO to identify the ship
5. Ask your WO to calculate the solution
6. Fire
7. Watch the fireworks;) :D :up:

danlisa
01-17-07, 03:49 PM
It's pleasure to have you aboard :up:

Enjoy your stay & ask away. :D

I'm a poet & didn't even know it.

:rotfl: Damn there I go again.

Welcome :sunny:

melnibonian
01-17-07, 04:00 PM

You're a man of many talents Dan:D :D:up: :rotfl: :rotfl:

FIREWALL
01-17-07, 04:22 PM
(I got the game with no manual..sorry if any questions are obvious to the more experience Kaleuns)

Go to C \ program files \ ubisoft \ silent hunter III \ documents
you'll find manuel in adobe acrobat pdf form.

Look it over then come back with alot of questions :yep: We all did.:D

And welcome aboard. :up: :up: :up:

BTW that's where your GWX manuel is too.

Steppenwolf
01-17-07, 04:47 PM

You've gotten some excellent advice above.
I would clarify, that if you are using "autoaiming", you don't need the WO. Anytime you have the periscope/UZO crosshairs over a ship and lock onto it (by pressing the L key), the information on your notepad in the upper right will start to automatically update with a firing solution. As long as you have opened the torpedo door ( by pressing the Q key), when you press Fire, the game will attempt to send the torpedo to whatever point on the ship is currently smack in the middle of the crosshairs.

If your are stilll "locked on", this will always be the center of the ship. If you want to aim at some other part of the ship, you need to unlock the periscope/UZO (hit the "L" key again ) and rotate the scope till the part of the ship you want to hit is in the crosshair. Then hit fire. You don't want to "lead" the ship. If you do move the crosshairs off the ship to somewhere in front of it, to try and "lead" it, you will notice that the notepad goes blank and you lose your firing solution.

AVGWarhawk
01-17-07, 04:51 PM
Once you get the general idea on how the geometry works with torpedos and making a hit, switch to WO assist. It makes it that much more satisfying when one goes down. I prefer to keep assist because that is what the WO is for. Some like to do it all themselves...I have to much to do so I have the assist:up:

Elder-Pirate
01-17-07, 06:07 PM
Doing the above with 'auto' on you don't even have to press the "Q" key to open the tube doors for when you press "Fire" the door/doors will 'auto' open. ( well you lose about 2/3 seconds maybe ? ) Never had a miss yet :D Except for those darn DUDS. :damn:

And if the weather is nice you could try this ;) Providing no one else was around to blast you.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Weatheranddeckgun.jpg

I said "Providing" no one else was around. :damn:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Whatabombwilldo.jpg

Steppenwolf
01-18-07, 02:51 PM
DaveJH,
Elder-Pirate is quite correct that the torpedo door will open for you automatically when you press fire (takes approximately 3 seconds), even if you don't open it yourself.

However, I would suggest that you get in the habit of opening it yourself prior to shooting. The game's automatic firing solution assumes the door is already open and that the torpedo will fire immediately. If the target is slow, you're shooting at close range and have a fast torpedo, it won't make much difference. But if the target is fast, you're shooting from longer range and have a slow torpedo, that 3 second delay can cause your shot to pass just astern of your target. Same thing if you need a high precision shot (Shooting at an incoming Destroyers bow aspect for example). If you get in the habit early, you won't forget when you really need it. Now I, of course, never forget these kinds of things:roll:

Sailor Steve
01-18-07, 03:50 PM

But your feet show it...they're Longfellows!