PDA

View Full Version : Pen Tablets for CS2

danlisa
01-17-07, 06:34 AM
Does anyone know much about pressure sensitive pen tablets for digital artwork?

I can think of one member who may use them, Torplexed, can you help?

I'm looking for one that will work in conjuction with Photoshop CS2 and won't break the bank aswell. (£100 - £200 GBP)

I have managed with a precision mouse for long enough but I just can't get the control/detail that I'm visualizing.

Any recommendations? or Price Guides?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

The Avon Lady
01-17-07, 06:43 AM
We bought our daughter a large model Wacom tablet board. She's only been happy with it.

danlisa
01-17-07, 06:46 AM
Wacom does seem to be the name I come across most often.

Here's one that caught my eye - Wacom Intuos3 A6 Wide Tablet Pen (http://www.bodoni.co.uk/wacomintuos3a6widetabletpenusbmacwin-p-574.html?source=%22froogle%22)

If anyone in the know can point out the pros & cons of the tablets. The only reason I have been drawn to the one above is that it's the only one I've found that mentions compatibility with CS2.

The Avon Lady
01-17-07, 06:54 AM
Don't know if my daughter's is an earlier model but this is the one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBE9DM/ref=pd_cp_e_title/103-1410328-2591853) she has.

EDIT: Here's what the newer model you mentioned adds:

New Intuos3 tablet

Ergonomic design with sloping, contoured palm rest for comfort
Multiple cord positions for greater workspace flexibility
8 ft. cable allows you to kick back while you work
Enhanced electronics for twice the resolution (5,080 lpi)
Available in six sizes: 4x5, 6x8, 6x11, 9x12, 12x12, and 12x19 for a perfect fit
New Intuos3 Grip Pen

1,024 levels of tip and eraser pressure sensitivity for control
Cushioned, contoured grip with programmable DuoSwitch for comfort and productivity
Patented cordless, battery-free technology for a natural feel and superior performance
Multi-position pen stand to keep your pen handy
Three nib styles included for a variety of "feels"
Tilt sensitivity for even more control
New ExpressKeys and Touch Strips

Strategically placed programmable ExpressKeys and Touch Strip for convenience
ExpressKeys are "chordable" and can be used for mouse clicks, modifier keys, and keyboard shortcuts
Finger-sensitive Touch Strip for quick scrolling, zooming, and more
New Intuos3 Five-button Mouse

Ball-free and optics-free for smooth, accurate tracking
Ambidextrous low-profile design with just the right feel
Patented cordless, battery-free technology for superior performance and reliability
Five programmable buttons with fingerwheel for flexibility and control

moose1am
01-20-07, 12:29 AM
I use the Wacom Intuos 3 Tablet. The pen is tilt sensitive with certain software.

I can't use a regular mouse anymore as once you get use to using the pen it's much easier to point to things on the screen.

I have had my tablet for about 2 years or more. The only complaint that I have with it that a part of the surface where I make a lot of contact with the pen on the tablet has worn the plastic down. I use the pen to drag the windows scroll bar up and down and that's always found along the right hand edge of the tablet. The surface has worn off in this one place about 1.5" long and about 1/2 " wide at the bottom.

It helps to keep the tablet surface clean and to also clean the end of the pen. Dust can get on both surfaces and create more wear than normal.

Torplexed
01-20-07, 12:46 AM
I'm on the Wacom as well. From all the research I've read you're taking a bit of a chance on anything else. I don't have the latest and greatest version of PhotoShop but it works just fine with 7.0. As noted above it can be handier than a mouse on many occasions. I use it mostly with Painter IX where it really excels. Comes in handy for rendering those fictional British/Scottish superspies. :up:

http://www.eskimo.com/%7Esnowfall/James-BondMonth.jpg

bradclark1
01-20-07, 12:56 PM
You are good Torplexed.

bradclark1
01-20-07, 01:01 PM
Not to hijack but, Torplexed,
Are there any certain books you've used to teach yourself?

danlisa
01-20-07, 01:03 PM

No worries, carry on. I think my decision is made. Thanks Guys.:up:

Torplexed
01-20-07, 06:57 PM
There are some good books out there. The Wow! Photoshop and Wow! Painter books were pretty helpful. However, I mostly just try to transfer my skills and training in art traditional media like airbrush and watercolor to the tablet. Software pixel painting programs are pretty forgiving compared to real paints. No setup, no mess, no toxic odors. Wish my old Iwata airbrush had had an 'undo' feature whenever it spattered instead of sprayed. ;)