PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Help newbie plz. 3 questions

GhostRider
01-16-07, 02:48 PM
1: Im using Gwx and how do i install the december 23 patch? Can i just copy and overwrite the existing files?

2: My sub in mission on career can get dammaged really fast with just a couple of depth charges (6-7) and then end of mission. Is it normal to be destroyed that fast? I thought subs could take many depth charges.

3: Also is there a mod to fix that or just being able to continu exploring even if the boat is heavely dammaged without having the end mission screen? Thx and sorry for bad spelling ;)

Boris
01-16-07, 02:56 PM
1. It's an option. But better to unzip it to your sh3/mods folder and enable with JSGME.exe in the SH3 root directory.

2. That many direct hits with a depth charge and your dead... yes it's realistic. Make sure you repair the damage quickly or you may sink, which may cause more damage. How much damage depth charges do depends on how far away they are. First thing, don't get caught. If you do, go deep, run silent.

3. Once your dead, the game is over. Only multiplayer allows you to spectate after.

GhostRider
01-16-07, 03:02 PM
Thanks alot.

irish1958
01-16-07, 03:03 PM
Nubies should start with a Type II in 1939 and learn the ropes. The later you are in the war, the worse your chances of survival. The Axis sub service had the highest fatality rate of any service in the war, and survival past a few patrols later in the war was unusual.

GhostRider
01-16-07, 07:22 PM
I have started my career in 1940. Are there any special mission to do in the career? All i have in the briefing is get to This spot and patrol for 24 hours and come back to base.

melnibonian
01-16-07, 07:37 PM
The patrol grid is there for you in order to get some renown. Go there, stay for 24h and then go whenever you like, as long as you sink as many ships as possible;) :up:

GT182
01-16-07, 10:36 PM
Try and stay out on patrol until you use all you torpedos sinking as many enemy ships as you can. Send a patrol report and BDU will tell you to RTB. You'll get more renoun that way. But check your fuel reserves. If you get very low RTB on your own or find a resupply ship.

swuboo
01-16-07, 11:43 PM
The Axis sub service had the highest fatality rate of any service in the war

I was under the impression that the Japanese Merchant Marine edged the Unterseebootwaffe out in terms of fatality rate.

I've got access to JSTOR, maybe i'll try to dredge up a paper on the subject. I could be wrong.

irish1958
01-17-07, 12:24 AM
Swuboo, You are probably right, but I don't think the merchant marine service is usually considered an uniformed service.

swuboo
01-17-07, 12:34 AM
Not during peacetime, no. But the American Merchant Marine, as an example, comes directly under military authority in time of declared war. I suppose it's a bit ambiguous, although it might be more straightforward in Hirihito's Japan.

I dunno. I did, indeed, hop on JSTOR, but I got sidetracked by an article on the impact of the Vichy Navy on the course of the war. Interesting stuff, I'm reading it now.

dougandtoni
01-17-07, 12:35 AM
1: Im using Gwx and how do i install the december 23 patch? Can i just copy and overwrite the existing files?

2: My sub in mission on career can get dammaged really fast with just a couple of depth charges (6-7) and then end of mission. Is it normal to be destroyed that fast? I thought subs could take many depth charges.

3: Also is there a mod to fix that or just being able to continu exploring even if the boat is heavely dammaged without having the end mission screen? Thx and sorry for bad spelling ;)

Could be a silly question but are you using your repair crew to fix the damage when you get depth charged

AirborneCZ
01-17-07, 06:22 AM
Could be a silly question but are you using your repair crew to fix the damage when you get depth charged

well you (especially when you have silent running off) can but it also makes for them easier to hear you because your guys are making noise with all the instruments...oth when charges r exploding and/or DD just passed you, they dont hear anything so you can repair some critical damage for some short period of time before they can effectively use hydrophone again

Boris
01-17-07, 06:49 AM
If you have flooding though, you sometimes have to fix it or your situation will just get worse, deeper, more pressure, more flooding... dead

GhostRider
01-17-07, 11:17 AM
Ya i do have time to repair sometimes. I just wish the sub could take more depth charge. I hate the end mission screen. If only we could see our u-boats exploded and not a sudden game over .. etc

Btw i see that alots of people here talk about Das boot. The movie U-571 is also good imo. For people who haven't saw that film give it a try ;) That damn uboat have taken more than 20 depth charges lol

Sailor Steve
01-17-07, 11:30 AM
Are you playing with any mods? There is a depth-charge mod that lowers the effect of the blast, reducing the kill radius from 25 meters to about 8 meters, which is historically accurate. I'm sure it is included in both NYGM and GWX, and possibly War Ace as well. It lets you get pounded for hours, and sometimes still escape.

U-571 is one we don't talk about much around here. Most of us have seen it and most of us consider it to be one of the worst movies ever made. From having the Americans get the sub up and running when the Germans couldn't right to the destroyer sitting still for a deck-gun shot to the radio room the movie was about as phoney as it gets. Real submarines escaped having hundreds of depth charges dropped in their area, as very few were ever close enough to do serious damage.

kurtz
01-17-07, 01:28 PM
U-571 is one we don't talk about much around here. Most of us have seen it and most of us consider it to be one of the worst movies ever made. From having the Americans get the sub up and running when the Germans couldn't right to the destroyer sitting still for a deck-gun shot to the radio room the movie was about as phoney as it gets. Real submarines escaped having hundreds of depth charges dropped in their area, as very few were ever close enough to do serious damage.
And not to mention the event this was based on was carried out by Englishmen (and some germans I suppose) there is a really good book featuring this, it might be Station X-I could be horribly wrong 'though

GhostRider
01-18-07, 12:32 AM
What about the hunt for red october? ;)