PDA

View Full Version : Patrol & career logs not tracking crew losses

Albrecht Von Hesse
01-14-07, 04:10 PM
I just happened to review my patrol and career logs before heading out on my 7th patrol and noticed that it lists me as having lost no crew. I know for sure I lost a seaman during my 4th patrol. What gives?

I know there is a bug regarding the awarding of the wound badge, but I haven't heard anything about this before.

melnibonian
01-14-07, 08:51 PM
Are you using SH3Cmd??

andy_311
01-14-07, 09:09 PM
Never seen a wound badge to date I have had 4 Petty Officers dead, and around 40 seamen dead.

Zero Niner
01-15-07, 05:21 AM
My first GWX patrol (Dec '39, Type VIIB) I lost a crewman KIA by a near miss. I buried him at see, but strangely enough his death was not recorded in the log or career screen. Even the mission summary at the point when you save & exit did not indicate a KIA.

Trust Bernard to do the book-keeping, lol.:rotfl:

Jimbuna
01-15-07, 07:00 AM
Never had this happen to me but your right about the problem with the wound badge...I have to award them personally :yep:

Albrecht Von Hesse
01-15-07, 07:23 PM
My first GWX patrol (Dec '39, Type VIIB) I lost a crewman KIA by a near miss. I buried him at see, but strangely enough his death was not recorded in the log or career screen. Even the mission summary at the point when you save & exit did not indicate a KIA.

Trust Bernard to do the book-keeping, lol.:rotfl:

Yup! That's the same thing I'm seeing happen. It's as if once you've buried them, all records of them having existed (and perished) vanish.

@melnibonian: Yes, I'm using SH3Commander (before you ask, the latest release, too)

@andy_311: Unfortunately, yes, they do seem far easier to die than to be wounded. :-?

@jimbuna: I've really only started using Commander since I started playing GWX. So far I haven't had a need to award a wound badge yet, and thankfully have only lost one crewman to action in my first career seven patrols.

melnibonian
01-15-07, 08:13 PM
OK I'll inform JScones about it.

Some other things as well. Did you rollback before enabling any mods? Also have you made any changes while you were at sea? These are the most common issues that cause problems in GWX/SH3Cmd

Zero Niner
01-15-07, 09:34 PM
This was *first* GWX patrol. I had re-installed SH3, patched to 1.4b then installed GWX. Launched the game using SH3C.
I make it a point to install mods only when I'm in between patrols, ie back in base.

JScones
01-16-07, 02:16 AM
OK I'll inform JScones about it.
Inform me of what? :hmm:

This is another stock SH3 bug. Essentially, if a crewman is wounded at sea but healed before docking, he will not receive a wound badge and will not be recorded as ever being injured. His health will be recorded as "Normal".

If you dock whilst he is wounded, he will be healed but you will get a wound badge (allegedly - I've never seen it myself). His health will be recorded as "Normal".

If he dies and you dispense with him at sea, he's gone. SH3 will totally wipe him. His loss won't be recorded at all (well, apart from him no longer being around).

Dock with him dead and I *think* SH3 correctly records him as a loss (I do recall seeing this in an earlier career of mine).

No recording by SH3 means that there's nothing that SH3Cmdr can do about it. ;(

melnibonian
01-16-07, 06:25 AM
Inform me of what? :hmm:

Sorry about that JScones I had no idea it was a stock bug. Actually I had never crew members injured in my patrols. They either die or they survive, so I've never seen the badges etc. Again I'm really sorry for alarming you:oops: :oops: :oops:

danlisa
01-16-07, 07:32 AM
If he dies and you dispense with him at sea, he's gone. SH3 will totally wipe him. His loss won't be recorded at all (well, apart from him no longer being around).

:o - What?

How does one 'dispense at sea'? :88)

So far I have always returned to port with my dead, I didn't know this was possible.

fabel
01-16-07, 08:00 AM
How does one 'dispense at sea'? :88)

That's a good question.

q65
01-16-07, 08:54 AM
When you click on him (not sure if its right or left button on the mouse) and it will ask if you want to him to be buried. You click yes and over the side he goes.

Zero Niner
01-16-07, 09:03 AM
When you click on him (not sure if its right or left button on the mouse) and it will ask if you want to him to be buried. You click yes and over the side he goes.
RMB, iirc. :hmm:

danlisa
01-16-07, 09:05 AM
Thanks, new to me.

I have been thinking about this and I think I'll keep them onboard until I have returned to port. This way SH3Cmdr will track their 'deaths' and give an accurate patrol report.

Example - my last patrol had a total tonnage of 98000 (+ change). 17 Aircraft + 4 x Large Merchant/Cargo + HMS Nelson. Now the ships aren't special (just high tonnage) but the 17 aircraft were and as a result I paid the price by loosing all 3 of my flak gunners. (didn't realise until too late that I was out of ammo:oops:).

If I didnt have the record of loosing my gunners then I would assume this patrol to be unrealistic in terms of tonnage scored. However, I can take solice in the fact that I/they paid the price.

hyperion2206
01-16-07, 10:32 AM
I'm wondering what the real Kaleuns did when a crew member died. I'm pretty sure they buried him at sea. So now I've to decide what's more realistic: Bury him at sea and don't get "penalized" for it, or keep a rotting body on board to get an accurate patrol report.:hmm:

Abd_von_Mumit
01-16-07, 10:39 AM
I'm wondering what the real Kaleuns did when a crew member died. I'm pretty sure they buried him at sea. So now I've to decide what's more realistic: Bury him at sea and don't get "penalized" for it, or keep a rotting body on board to get an accurate patrol report.:hmm:
A rotten body - problem for month or two for maximum.
False mission and career report - life lasting problem. Unforgetable.

PS You could always store the bodies in emptied external torpedo tubes till you reach the base. :)

Or take a finger of each one dead, whatever, and bury the rest. A finger should be enough evidence for BdU...

hyperion2206
01-16-07, 10:51 AM
I've decided to bury my dead at sea. I think it's realistic and the right thing to do. Immagine the mess it would make to stuff a body into an empty external tube and remove it some weeks later.:nope:
If Onkel Karl asks why there's a lad missing I'll tell him that he went over board, hence MIA.:arrgh!:

Abd_von_Mumit
01-16-07, 11:11 AM
I've decided to bury my dead at sea. I think it's realistic and the right thing to do. Immagine the mess it would make to stuff a body into an empty external tube and remove it some weeks later.:nope:
If Onkel Karl asks why there's a lad missing I'll tell him that he went over board, hence MIA.:arrgh!:
You can always try to treat the red bodies not as real dead human bodies, but rather as the metal (aluminium I suppose) "thing" (we call it "nieśmiertelnik" in Polish, that means "unmortaler", "immortaler") that every soldier has attached to his neck or arm. You just collect them and on returning to base pass to where you should, and that's it.

The problem is that the bodies still occupy some space (slots) in your boat, but you can move them to unused compartments of her. These could be treated as the dead soldiers belongings (personal stuff and so on) that you wish to pass to their families or maybe even bury in a symbolic grave, pass over to a Naval Museum or whatever.

And thus they can be still recorded as lost in action in your career files. The realism doesn't have to suffer a lot...

Jimbuna
01-16-07, 11:30 AM
RMB, iirc. :hmm:

Righteo then...RMB then toredo tube it is :lol:

Albrecht Von Hesse
01-16-07, 11:47 AM
You can always try to treat the red bodies not as real dead human bodies, but rather as the metal (aluminium I suppose) "thing" (we call it "nieśmiertelnik" in Polish, that means "unmortaler", "immortaler") that every soldier has attached to his neck or arm. You just collect them and on returning to base pass to where you should, and that's it.

The problem is that the bodies still occupy some space (slots) in your boat, but you can move them to unused compartments of her. These could be treated as the dead soldiers belongings (personal stuff and so on) that you wish to pass to their families or maybe even bury in a symbolic grave, pass over to a Naval Museum or whatever.

And thus they can be still recorded as lost in action in your career files. The realism doesn't have to suffer a lot...

Excellent idea!!

The 'things' you're thinking of are called 'dog tags' in the US. :D

JScones
01-17-07, 01:45 AM
I have been thinking about this and I think I'll keep them onboard until I have returned to port. This way SH3Cmdr will track their 'deaths' and give an accurate patrol report.
Yeah, I do the same too. For no reason than to have the death recorded by SH3 hence SH3Cmdr. Another workaround. :roll:

KLARCH
01-17-07, 08:01 PM

Does anyone know if keeping the dead crewmembers onboard has a negative effect on morale.

I know that crew deaths lowers it, but does keeping the corpses around bring it down even more?

melnibonian
01-17-07, 08:56 PM

Does anyone know if keeping the dead crewmembers onboard has a negative effect on morale.

I know that crew deaths lowers it, but does keeping the corpses around bring it down even more?
I don't think it affects your morale but you lose renown

KLARCH
01-18-07, 03:42 AM

Nope no renown in NYGM 2.3, which is what I'm using.:up:

But morale is effected by crew deaths and long patrols with little success.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway as I'll keep the corpses with me to get correct patrol reports. I buried my whole watch crew at sea from my last patrol and it bothered me that they were not accounted for as killed in action, or even having existed at all.:nope:

Albrecht Von Hesse
01-18-07, 04:09 AM

You lose renown because you return to port with your dead instead of burying them at sea? I've never heard of that before.:huh:

Jimbuna
01-18-07, 04:45 AM

You lose renown because you return to port with your dead instead of burying them at sea? I've never heard of that before.:huh:

Me neither :hmm:

melnibonian
01-18-07, 06:44 AM

Me neither :hmm:
No what I mean is that if you lose crew members you lose renown