PDA

View Full Version : GWX Norwegian Campaign, BDU Issues Orders.

Brag
01-14-07, 11:13 AM
I started my new GWX career in Sept 39 based in Kiel. Did 4 patrols to west coast of England and shetland islands. Left Kiel on present patrol 08 April 1940 with orders to patrol off Stavanger.

Lots of radio traffic. And BDU started to talk to me (U-49) orders to proceed vicinity of Narvik. Bashing against heavy seas reached Narvik to find everything peaceful.

Hung around the fjord for 2 days. Another message from BDU, to withdraw from area. No sooner was on Westfjord. Got orders from BDU to return and position off Vaas (near Narvik).

This is a far cry from the loose orders we normally get. It seems things will get hot.

Bravo to the GWX team for making things interesting--too interesting perhaps? After all, the Brits been trying to kill me. :roll:

Will report on further developments

Brag, U-49

Brag
01-14-07, 02:11 PM
The way this patrol ends is true military comedy.

I waited in position, expecting to interfere with the British invasion. After two days got message of a failed torpedo attack against a cruiser in Vaas. So I trundled along to Narvick, thinking the Brits had somehow bypassed my ambush. The weather turned sour. Crept into Narvik to find a U boat there. Then I heard music--yup, the band was there. I could use some fuel so I docked.

Got a Knight's Cross & German Cross in Gold.
I guess I must have drunk a lot of aquavit, for the next thing I know it is May 18th. and my sumbie is inside a bunker. My new orders don't give a patrol grid, but return to base Kiel :damn: . I guess I'll do that--after some freelancing :arrgh!:

:rotfl: :rotfl: