PDA

View Full Version : Officer Quals....

Slick Rick
01-10-07, 11:10 PM
What good is it if one of your officers is qualed on the guns....he cant man the station so what good is it??? Just wondering.......

mookiemookie
01-10-07, 11:13 PM
Post a gunnery qualified officer on the watch station with 3 regular n00b sailors manning the deck gun. Then post a non-gunnery qualified officer on the watch station with 3 regular n00b sailors manning the deck gun. Watch what happens.

:sunny:

(P.S. Same works for Flak Gun qualified officers too. The only thing officers are useless at being qualified in is Radioman. And Helmsman, from what I can tell. But then again, I believe the Helmsman qualification is useless for everyone.)

d@rk51d3
01-10-07, 11:16 PM
So, set up your watch officer with watchman, flak gun and deck gun qualifications for best all round effect.:up:

Slick Rick
01-11-07, 08:38 AM
Post a gunnery qualified officer on the watch station with 3 regular n00b sailors manning the deck gun. Then post a non-gunnery qualified officer on the watch station with 3 regular n00b sailors manning the deck gun. Watch what happens.

:sunny:

(P.S. Same works for Flak Gun qualified officers too. The only thing officers are useless at being qualified in is Radioman. And Helmsman, from what I can tell. But then again, I believe the Helmsman qualification is useless for everyone.) I see.....I guess I never had a gunnery qualed officer as I did not think it useful....I will have to rethink that now....thanx Mookie...

mookiemookie
01-11-07, 11:49 AM
No problem! I rarely waste a gunnery qualification on a petty officer, since I give it to one of my officers instead. Witha gunnery officer on the watch station and 3 regular sailors manning the guns, it fills the deck gun efficiency bar up all the way.

I find that as a career progresses, finding petty officers with open qualification slots gets to be harder and harder. I like to have 3 torpedomen, 3 machinists and 2 radiomen, so that doesn't leave too many available for other things.

Slick Rick
01-11-07, 11:59 AM
why two radiomen?

mookiemookie
01-11-07, 12:07 PM
I like to have a good hydrophone operator. 2 radiomen in the compartment will fill the green efficiency bar up all the way. I think that even though one of them is sitting in the radio operator slot, the overall compartment efficiency is what counts in terms of hydrophone effectiveness. I could be wrong, but it doesn't hurt anyways! :up:

Abd_von_Mumit
01-11-07, 12:20 PM
When I played stock game, I had two radiomen, each of them awarded Gold Cross as fast as possible (before the officers got awarded), so that they never must rest. Before that I had two radiomen to rest one when the other was doing his job and then shift. I think the radio and sonar room is absolutely the most important place on the ship, not only to stay alive as long as possible, but also to incercept targets at long ranges, and have a nice and qualified company close to your bed. :)

Post Scriptum: Anyone has an idea on how the medals, awards and promotions work in detail in GWX?

mookiemookie
01-11-07, 12:47 PM
When I played stock game, I had two radiomen, each of them awarded Gold Cross as fast as possible (before the officers got awarded), so that they never must rest. Before that I had two radiomen to rest one when the other was doing his job and then shift. I think the radio and sonar room is absolutely the most important place on the ship, not only to stay alive as long as possible, but also to incercept targets at long ranges, and have a nice and qualified company close to your bed. :)

Post Scriptum: Anyone has an idea on how the medals, awards and promotions work in detail in GWX?

I believe they're the same as in the stock game. I'm a bit hazy on what each one specifically does, but I believe that the overall effect is that they add to effectiveness and keep a crewman from getting tired as fast to varying degrees. The one I do know for sure is that the German Cross in Gold keeps a crewman from getting fatigued at all.

soma
01-11-07, 01:06 PM
i always have two qualified radio/sonar guys also. sonarguy gives you accurate hydrophone info (to the point he can identify stationairy ships) and rado guys gives you more contact updates ( single ships, but also convoys etc)

Brag
01-11-07, 01:22 PM
Once the absolute besic requirements for machinists are filled, getting an officer-mechanic is important, it may save you when boat is damaged.

I shoot for the following compliment: Officers: Gunnery, machinist, mechanic

Petty officers: 3 machinists, 4 torpedomen, 2 mechanics, 1 flack.

Of course, I send the cook for training in Switzerland before 2nd patrol :rotfl:

MENTAT
06-15-07, 08:51 AM
So is it better to keep a gunnery officer in watch station and man the guns with crew, than having a watchman officer on watch station and putting a gunnery skill petty officer on deck guns?

Jimbuna
06-15-07, 10:44 AM
You want as an absolute minimum a gunnery and 2 flak PO qualifications :arrgh!:

wmes1
06-15-07, 01:40 PM
I always gualify my watchman with gunner and flak...The effeciency goes wasy up. Plus I qualify a P.O. w/ gunner and 2 flak's...However I enjoy running the gun myself...not to good with the flak....

STEED
06-15-07, 01:43 PM
I am a one man killing machine with my deck gun and my AA guns as well.

Hot Dog I am Hot. :D :D :D :D :D

Hakahura
06-15-07, 01:46 PM
Use SH3 Commander and send them all to training school!

I rotate 2 officers through the watch station.
1 is qualified Watch, Gunner, Repair
The other, Watch, Flak, Torpedo

I seem to get maximum use out of them without the poor sods falling asleep on duty.

btaft
06-15-07, 03:02 PM
i always have two qualified radio/sonar guys also. sonarguy gives you accurate hydrophone info (to the point he can identify stationairy ships) and rado guys gives you more contact updates ( single ships, but also convoys etc)

Does this mean that you will get more of the automatic map updates this way with single ships and convoys, thus reducing the time spent hunting?